[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I would wager that this kind of solution is the one we will end up with.

That article finishes with...

“It would allow them to make some concrete plans for the future rather than just play a waiting game and talk about unrealistic dates to return to action which could then be pushed further back.”

No, no it won’t.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
That article finishes with...

“It would allow them to make some concrete plans for the future rather than just play a waiting game and talk about unrealistic dates to return to action which could then be pushed further back.”

No, no it won’t.

Well I am in agreement with you there. But I don't think we will finish this season.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
At last, a sense of realism. Although I think its is very optimistic to have the season completed by 30th June.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
So if the season is behind closed doors, will the Liverpool suporters be happy to keep to the lockdown or with they ignore it when Liverpool win the league?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So if the season is behind closed doors, will the Liverpool suporters be happy to keep to the lockdown or with they ignore it when Liverpool win the league?

If I had the chance to experience my club win the league in a couple of games then enjoy a procession of games till picking up the trophy, while being forced to watch the games live on TV, especially if my team hadn't won the league for 30 years (or in our case, ever) I'd snap your hand off and rush for the armchair and remote. Given that the alternative would be 'see you next season, you see you next tuesday'.....

In any case, all those tazers and water cannon that are rotting in warehouses around the country could be usefully deployed if folk find it impossible to calm down.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Looking more likely that the EPL simply cannot extend beyond 30 June. Not just because of player contracts, kit contracts, sponsorship deal contracts all come into play if that date is exceeded. While you could pass rules to give permission for temporary extension of contracts, you couldn't force a player to sign one.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I see EUFA are meeting on the 23rd April. Amongst many topics for discussion is; .... " It is likely one decision will be to agree that Leagues could finish early, although only with EUFA approval".

I think this was previously a major stumbling block to closing Leagues.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Prem/FL plan to finish season behind closed doors in JULY

The season won’t be finishing on 30 June- if UEFA are reportedly scheduling the Champions League final on the 29th of August.

I don’t see the big deal with the 30th June- clubs can negotiate with players, if some leave, so be it.

Sounds like UEFA are giving a green light for leagues to run up to the middle of August so that will take the pressure off. E.g. the Premier League could start at the middle of July and it could, possibly, maybe, we don’t know yet, be viable to play games with spectators by that stage.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm coming round to it being scrapped altogether.

The gap between the last set of games and the season resuming is going to be longer than a normal close season period. In effect the competition is rendered meaningless as it will just be a case of which clubs come out of isolation better, not a reflection of the season at all. There will be no match sharpness, no friendlies to get going. It would be a bit of a shambles. Chuck in the 80 or so players in the PL who will be out of contract in July, it's even more of just a lottery and no reflection of what has gone before. Cup competitions are a bit different as they are one off games anyway, but for leagues, as painful as it is, just think they're going to have to write last season off.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The season won’t be finishing on 30 June- if UEFA are reportedly scheduling the Champions League final on the 29th of August.

I don’t see the big deal with the 30th June- clubs can negotiate with players, if some leave, so be it.

If players leave would they be eligible to play for a new club in the games that remain.
If they are then the integrity of the league is compromised, also if players that leave can not be replaced then teams may need to play a team mainly of U23 or youth players just to fulfill the fixture, again seriously effecting results.

What about loan players given their loan contracts will cease at the end of May, can they continue to play for their loan clubs, or return to their parent club and if they do, can they play for their parent club.

Lots of complications.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If players leave would they be eligible to play for a new club in the games that remain.
If they are then the integrity of the league is compromised, also if players that leave can not be replaced then teams may need to play a team mainly of U23 or youth players just to fulfill the fixture, again seriously effecting results.

What about loan players given their loan contracts will cease at the end of May, can they continue to play for their loan clubs, or return to their parent club and if they do, can they play for their parent club.

Lots of complications.

PL could prevent players switching or loanees being recalled and playing by using emergency new rules I suppose.........what they or the clubs couldn't do is force players to carry on after 30/6 if they are out of contract

Think the 30/6 end date is looking like it is more likely to be applied though - too many issues arise by going past it (as explained by Barber yesterday amongst others). If the games are crammed into (essentially) June, there will be some very weird results I reckon, and relegation will become a bit of a lottery.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Lots of complications.
Imagine that Man Utd and Sheff Utd are competing for a Europa League spot...

...and then think what might happen when Dean Henderson's loan ends on May 31st.

25 man squads apply, but it is as much about weakening a rival.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
PL could prevent players switching or loanees being recalled and playing by using emergency new rules I suppose.........what they or the clubs couldn't do is force players to carry on after 30/6 if they are out of contract

Think the 30/6 end date is looking like it is more likely to be applied though - too many issues arise by going past it (as explained by Barber yesterday amongst others). If the games are crammed into (essentially) June, there will be some very weird results I reckon, and relegation will become a bit of a lottery.

Seems like a Lawyers dream scenario. PL wont be able be able to enforce it.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I don’t have a problem with players switching clubs. Happens in the transfer window and used to happen all season before the window was brought in. Not a big deal.

I think we’re back where we started on this thread. Prem starts in July. European finals in August. Start the 20/21 season in Sept. [emoji108]

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Add into the mix a June heatwave ...loads of matches crammed in..players getting back to match fitness ....twenty minutes each way?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don’t have a problem with players switching clubs. Happens in the transfer window and used to happen all season before the window was brought in. Not a big deal.
No it didn't. There was a cut off point towards the end of the season so that teams couldn't buy their way out of a relegation fight.

I think we’re back where we started on this thread. Prem starts in July. European finals in August. Start the 20/21 season in Sept. [emoji108]
Terrible idea - and not back where a lot of us started! Team void here!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports