Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
With lockdown probably ending in many ways at the very beginning of May, the PL will get their wish of completing the 2019/20 season behind closed doors in summer.

The Wuhan lockdown lasted 11 weeks . Both Spain and Italy are looking about the same. We have only done 3 weeks

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Wuhan lockdown lasted 11 weeks . Both Spain and Italy are looking about the same. We have only done 3 weeks

And how are you doing? Many of us were concerned. Including me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We'd lose home advantage v Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City and Newcastle....

.... which isn't much advantage to lose.

We'd lose away disadvantage v Leicester, Norwich, Southampton and Burnley...

... which is quite a lot of disadvantage to lose.

I still hate the idea though, and I'm not convinced that a hybrid season has much integrity.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Typical PL looking after their own interests. How do they think lower league clubs, who rely on gate receipts and match day sales to provide their income, are going to benefit by playing games behind closed doors? Nonsense anyway - far too soon IMHO.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Typical PL looking after their own interests. How do they think lower league clubs, who rely on gate receipts and match day sales to provide their income, are going to benefit by playing games behind closed doors? Nonsense anyway - far too soon IMHO.

Pay per view could provide some income.

Jimmy Grimble

Pathetic if they finish it behind closed doors.

What was the VAR song from this season?

“It’s not football anymore.”

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Really?! I can't see lockdown ending in many ways that early, surely...

I think you’re right.

The Spanish are restarting their construction and manufacturing sectors tomorrow, effectively millions will resume work. A bold move, if it comes off (no marked increase in cases, then deaths), perhaps La Liga behind closed doors would start in May?

These coming weeks seem far too soon, but what do we know?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Really?! I can't see lockdown ending in many ways that early, surely...

I can see some restrictions being eased in early May. Whether or not that would facilitate a squad of 25 players and all the coaches and physios working in close proximity for 4 weeks 'pre-season' training before the resumption is another thing completely.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Macron has said this evening that mass gatherings will continue to be banned in France until at least mid-July (general lockdown until 11th May).

On that basis, no attended matches in France until then, and potentially/likely no football either (and at the very least a postponement of the TdF).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Macron has said this evening that mass gatherings will continue to be banned in France until at least mid-July (general lockdown until 11th May).

On that basis, no attended matches in France until then, and potentially/likely no football either (and at the very least a postponement of the TdF).

Shirley that makes ‘behind closed door’ football feasible from 12th May?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Shirley that makes ‘behind closed door’ football feasible from 12th May?

Potentially, although it doesn't seem like it:

From 11 May, creches, schools, colleges and lycées will be “progressively opened” as a priority, he said.

While schools will open from 11 May, Macrons said restaurants, cafes, hotels, museums and cultural sites must stay closed and large festivals and events may only be allowed after mid-July.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/13/macron-france-remain-strict-lockdown-for-another-month

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here