Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League Fan Experience

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
You gain things going into the PL but you lose a lot too. I’d rather we were back in the Goldstone and in League One, personally. But Brighton are in the PL so that’s where I’ll be.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just dont understand this. Brighton has been my team for 30 years and will continue whatever the division they are in. Am enjoying Premier league while it lasts for seeing and competing against worlds best players. In all other divisions have seen so many teams just get 10 behind ball and hope. Have not seen this very often from premier league teams. We were so often expected to win where now each win seems more valuable. Rubbish about too corporate. Never know what this means. What do you expect when games attract 30k plus crowds.Would you people prefer Withdean days or maybe Amex with 10k gates. Funny you mention Wycombe because they have new owners who have pumped money in. Sure they dream of days when there ground is full and people have a job to get tickets. This will same for all clubs in lower leagues.
I am all for smaller clubs and over last 3 years have been to watch Worthing,Burgess Hill Lewes and Whitehawk. Appreciate as none of them are my club so result didnt mean as much to me but please dont tell me this experience is better because I can get near players and dug out and also able to walk round ground.

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
It's how i feel. Var has finished it for me, I said it back in September i won't be renewing. I cannot justify spending over £500 on a season ticket to watch a screen telling me if it's a goal or not. It's not football i know. I'm going back to the radio and dodgy streams. Like you will pop along occasionally.

VAR misses a valuable point as to why football is enjoyable in the first place. I don’t care if a players armpit was offside 5 mins before a goal, get on with the game!!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
As a fan experience the days of travelling away to places like Blackpool, Wallsall, Barnsley and Port Vale were my best days.
We are where I have always wanted us to be, in a decent stadium and playing very entertaining football but there was something special about being a Brighton fan in the days when we were struggling to even exist as a club.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The PL experience is just like League One and Two. Anyone at Spurs will have enjoyed the Withdean experience again by getting soaked due to the illusion of a functioning roof at the new Spurs ground.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It's how i feel. Var has finished it for me, I said it back in September i won't be renewing. I cannot justify spending over £500 on a season ticket to watch a screen telling me if it's a goal or not. It's not football i know. I'm going back to the radio and dodgy streams. Like you will pop along occasionally.

That’s how we feel, we won’t be renewing when the current deal runs out, I shall be watching Worthing as my first choice, home and away, with the occasional visit to the Amex for cup games (sans VAR). The cheating in the EPL is just terrible, and VAR is the turd icing on a sh1t cake, The premier league has got this all wrong, they could do something about it, but as per the FA, they don’t give a **** about fans, it’s all about advertising revenue and TV money.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
And for those who opted to park in the club car park - the last time I did that it took longer to get to the main road than it did driving from there back to Brighton. The first ground I went to that looked like a Tesco supermarket.
I agree with the sentiments though - some happy times on the way up to the mercenary world of the PL.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
That’s how we feel, we won’t be renewing when the current deal runs out, I shall be watching Worthing as my first choice, home and away, with the occasional visit to the Amex for cup games (sans VAR). The cheating in the EPL is just terrible, and VAR is the turd icing on a sh1t cake, The premier league has got this all wrong, they could do something about it, but as per the FA, they don’t give a **** about fans, it’s all about advertising revenue and TV money.

I can't stand VAR and have a reasonable amount of nostalgia for some of the joys of supporting lower division football ... but changing your team? That's quite a reaction. Is that even possible? You're an Albion fan from old, I think I know you.

Think about it, you'll be giving your seat to someone who probably won't be singing "f*** VAR" as loudly as you will. Why not stay, support your true team and fight for what you believe?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I recall a Boxing Day trip to Wycombe to watch the Albion when someone in our end managed to 'borrow' a megaphone from a steward.

:lolol:

That Was quality. Wasn’t that the ‘we want Falmer’ game too?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I can't stand VAR and have a reasonable amount of nostalgia for some of the joys of supporting lower division football ... but changing your team? That's quite a reaction. Is that even possible? You're an Albion fan from old, I think I know you.

Think about it, you'll be giving your seat to someone who probably won't be singing "f*** VAR" as loudly as you will. Why not stay, support your true team and fight for what you believe?

I don’t think I’ll be changing my team, just elevating my support to who I already watch 25 or so times a season already, largely due the the EPL ****ing around with kick-off times. I’ll still follow Brighton online, on TV when I can, etc. I’ll still have an Albion tattoo, I’ll still have around 250 Brighton shirts in my collection, and I’ll still add to it. It will be a bit sad to think that I won’t be ruffling noses in the WSM, surprised I haven’t had a warning about my language already, but then again, most around me are long term fans too.

What I won’t miss is the cheating, which the EPL won’t deal with, the referees who capitulate to the elite teams and players, and VAR which is the single biggest abomination to ever have been forced onto the football supporting public, never requested, unwanted and totally unworkable.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
As a 51 year old who has watched all divisions, and non-league, I feel I understand the issues at stake here.

For me, I absolutely love the current Albion - especially at The Amex but also away days.

I went to Wycombe v Sunderland this season and it was rubbish (apart from being able to nip out for a pint and a fag at half time).

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
There's wonder all the way up the football pyramid. Three years in the Premier League and I still get a thrill knowing that our next fixture is against a team that have been European Champions in the recent past. I remember us getting a royal humping at "home" to Dalington. This is wonderful.

And yet... My finest moment as an Albion supporter was probably Hereford '97. I cannot imagine a joy more pure than that but the two seasons leading up to it, for all the battle, were spectacular too. I have a friend who follows Ebbsfleet. I've been there a time or two. Woking FC are just around the corner. I've not been of late but I do enjoy an away day further down the food chain.

It's a great sport we have here. I enjoy it in all its forms*

*excluding Nigels...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Seeing these pics of Wycome reminded me of a trip there 10 years ago on 28th Dec 2009 with Glenn Murray scoring 4 goals in a 5-2 win (Nicky Forster got the other). Although we were stuck for hours on the M25 getting there, it was a great day. I do miss those grounds.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Just dont understand this. Brighton has been my team for 30 years and will continue whatever the division they are in. Am enjoying Premier league while it lasts for seeing and competing against worlds best players. In all other divisions have seen so many teams just get 10 behind ball and hope. Have not seen this very often from premier league teams. We were so often expected to win where now each win seems more valuable. Rubbish about too corporate. Never know what this means. What do you expect when games attract 30k plus crowds.Would you people prefer Withdean days or maybe Amex with 10k gates. Funny you mention Wycombe because they have new owners who have pumped money in. Sure they dream of days when there ground is full and people have a job to get tickets. This will same for all clubs in lower leagues.
I am all for smaller clubs and over last 3 years have been to watch Worthing,Burgess Hill Lewes and Whitehawk. Appreciate as none of them are my club so result didnt mean as much to me but please dont tell me this experience is better because I can get near players and dug out and also able to walk round ground.
I wish I was as unaware of the corporate feel to the Albion as you, I really do. I know it's inevitable, it is part of the success, but to not be aware of it must be blissful.

And yes, being closer to the football in every sense is what makes it better as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
I don’t think I’ll be changing my team, just elevating my support to who I already watch 25 or so times a season already, largely due the the EPL ****ing around with kick-off times. I’ll still follow Brighton online, on TV when I can, etc. I’ll still have an Albion tattoo, I’ll still have around 250 Brighton shirts in my collection, and I’ll still add to it. It will be a bit sad to think that I won’t be ruffling noses in the WSM, surprised I haven’t had a warning about my language already, but then again, most around me are long term fans too.

What I won’t miss is the cheating, which the EPL won’t deal with, the referees who capitulate to the elite teams and players, and VAR which is the single biggest abomination to ever have been forced onto the football supporting public, never requested, unwanted and totally unworkable.

Wow 250 shirts? What’s the oldest one you have?

Same here. I still have the tattoo and the shirts, although only 40ish Albion ones. And certainly would never give any other answer than BHAFC when asked who I support.

And yea, keep going and just grumble about VAR? = nothing will ever change. Or just stop going.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
As a fan experience the days of travelling away to places like Blackpool, Wallsall, Barnsley and Port Vale were my best days.
We are where I have always wanted us to be, in a decent stadium and playing very entertaining football but there was something special about being a Brighton fan in the days when we were struggling to even exist as a club.
Absolutely, that is exactly how I feel.

I thought getting to the PL would be everything. Didn't realise what would be lost.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I visit Wealdstone FC every now and again (as does AmexRuisip I believe). I enjoy it
a lot - you can walk round the pitch all match, get a cheese and onion roll from the kiosk at half-time,
get a pint from the friendly bar before the match, have a chat with the Wealdstone Raider if you so choose
(I choose not to) and be so close to the action that you could easily get a ball in the nackers. While I do enjoy it,
I still look forward to getting back to the Amex every other week.

So you can enjoy both 'worlds'.

Interesting. Live reasonably close by and am tempted to try either Wealdstone or Harrow Borough [technically my closest]. Was tied up in all things house renovation this year but next i'm intending to follow one in their Cup exploits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here