Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League Clubs use of private jets

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That's a pretty lazy argument.

China is actually do a quite a lot themsevles, besides we're a developed country that has a massive carbon deficit since we started the industrial revolution.

Our emissions have fallen largely because we outsource our emissions to China to make cheap stuff we can consume.

We need to take responsibility, we need to play our part, we need to lead by example. Like not opening new coal mines for a start...
you're quite right, China is doing a lot, they recognise they have to build in low emissions for them to grow.

the point is really that it's ridiculous to focus on the vanishing small contribution from the extravagance of footballers flying to games. a more meaningful change would be ban all flying. similar, we can say stop opening coal mines, if we accept we'll have no more steel either. no good saying dont mine coal here, while happy to get the produce from elsewhere. complaining about a dozen flights a week is not taking responsibility its pretending to.

Last edited:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I've looked a few times at journeys teams have taken flying to away games, it's almost always marginal how much time is saved. Take Brighton to, for example, Villa. 3 hours 10 right now according to Google. I assume Brighton would fly from Biggin Hill? Toy have to load up a coach at Lancing, drive to Biggin Hill, fly to (assume) Birmingham, offload and on top coach, drive to Villa park. Difficult to see how you're going to save much, especially given the environmental cost ...
Why on earth do you think BHA would fly from Biggin Hill?
Gatwick is much closer for most / all players and has better facilities, VIP lounge for quick security & boarding.
If we chartered a smaller aircraft we'd fly from Brighton City Airport [Shoreham] but runway limitations dictate aircraft size limitations.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The coach carries the kit as well.
Not sure that's true, certainly wasn't the case a few years back.

I remember having a chat with our kit-man after a game at Northampton, probably about 15 years ago. He was loading all sorts of kit, wheelie-bin ice baths, boot bags, playing kit, training gear, cones etc. into the back of a transit van that he and his assistant drove to all the away fixtures.

Nice bloke ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here