Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League clubs to vote on scrapping VAR

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
weren't they talking about a more advanced version few weeks back?

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Where’s the poll for us mortals to decide? :)

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Get rid of var and refs might actually have to do their job. It's potentially a good system but it's being used by absolute morons who have their mates back if it goes tits up.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
There is no winner in this for me. Keep it and we continue with the circus it has become, or bin it and all the headlines will be about goals that counted but shouldn’t have if VAR was there or penalties that were mistakenly given for dives. For me the real answer is better trained referees & maybe a scaling back of what VAR is used for.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Scrap it or bring in something like they have in cricket with DRS - appeal and lose and you’ve lost your review.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Absolutely no chance that 14 teams agree to get rid of it. Shame but now it’s here they won’t let it go

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There is no winner in this for me. Keep it and we continue with the circus it has become, or bin it and all the headlines will be about goals that counted but shouldn’t have if VAR was there or penalties that were mistakenly given for dives. For me the real answer is better trained referees & maybe a scaling back of what VAR is used for.
key difference is that elation of goal scored doesn't get killed, while the pundits and public can chew on a decision for days after either way. net positive if it goes. it's been awful for missing errors, seen errors that weren't obvious or didnt even happen, so get rid.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Make it simple - clear space on offside otherwise leave it as linos call; anything in the box max 30secs to make decision as anything else is not clear and obvious.

I wasn’t at game tonight so ended up watching manu vs Newcastle - obvious hack on back of Gordonos ankle by Arrabat wasn’t given (they even showed his socks were sliced open), Rooney said it was a clear one as well

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Make it simple - clear space on offside otherwise leave it as linos call; anything in the box max 30secs to make decision as anything else is not clear and obvious.

I wasn’t at game tonight so ended up watching manu vs Newcastle - obvious hack on back of Gordonos ankle by Arrabat wasn’t given (they even showed his socks were sliced open), Rooney said it was a clear one as well
They’ve had 5 years to improve it. They’re not capable. Bin it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
players do this themselves. It’s the latest trend.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I wanted it gone but it bailed us out tonight with that terrible ref - Penalty overturned and red card given.

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
I honestly don't think VAR is the core problem, it's the absolute weapons that are using it. Can we have a vote to start making them accountable for their incompetence please?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here