Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premier League clubs fielding weakened teams devalues the FA Cup. Discuss.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
In my opinion the FA Cup is much devalued compared with the competition it used to be. Too many Premier League teams putting out second or third string players. Even the Albion with our second string goalie. Makes winning the thing far less of an achievement than it used to be.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Devalues the cup and devalues and possibly cheats the fans, out of a day out they will never forget and lives with them their whole lives. I feel sorry for the younger fans, that they will never ever know, just what the Fa Cup once meant. The first nail in the coffin was when they started playing semi's at Wembley. Getting to Wembley was the fans holy grail.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
The only thing that will see the top teams change their attitude's towards the Fa Cup, is to give a Champions League place to the winners or to the runners up, if the winners have qualified already. And if that turns out to be someone like Cardiff, then so be it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Only 7 Premier League teams left in. Lets hope 6 of them draw each other in the next round.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Devalues the cup and devalues and possibly cheats the fans, out of a day out they will never forget and lives with them their whole lives. I feel sorry for the younger fans, that they will never ever know, just what the Fa Cup once meant. The first nail in the coffin was when they started playing semi's at Wembley. Getting to Wembley was the fans holy grail.

The first nail in the coffin was when the FA allowed Man Utd to not compete without any punishment

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Easy to overcome the FA who govern the cup have to just change the rules to say that clubs must field at least 7 or 8 players who have played in the previous 2 league games. Clubs wont drop players for a league game in order to field a weakened cup side. The clubs couldn't influence this because they do not have a vote at the FA council meeting where the rule would be passed.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
The first nail in the coffin was when the FA allowed Man Utd to not compete without any punishment

There has been a few, hasn't there?...and none to make it better.

Even moving the final forward, so it's before the prem even finishes. What's that all about??? It should be the showcase game to end the season. The Fa should really hang it's head in shame.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The FA cup final day used to be so special. Only the European finals came after it. Now it's shadow of it's former glory and I agree, the downward spiral started when Man U were allowed to miss out one year.

hillbilly

In the hill, not over it!
Sep 1, 2008
Burgess Hill
We played Casper, which devalues the FA Cup. Poyet also said he Orlandi had too many games recently so like PL games focused on the league / squad rotation.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
A number of things have contributed to the cup losing whatever it was it had. Like...

Man U being allowed to drop out
Semi finals being played at Wembley
TV saturation of football - remember the FA Cup final used to be about the only domestic game live on telly
Champions League has become the primary focus of the big teams

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
All 3 Premier League clubs today put out pretty strong teams....

OT was correct. PL clubs obsessed with their next PL game, eg

LFC today didnt start with Gerrard, Agger, Johnson, Henderson, Downing, Lucas ... who started in the thrashing of Norwich.
Arsenal ditto - Sagna, Vermaelen, Wilshire, Walcott, Gibbs ... who started in the thrashing of West Ham.

Wenger fully admitted this in his "this is the gamble you take" in the post match interview.

The PL is now the obsession, and apart from ITV and punters of the other 72 clubs, the FAC and LC now seem to have the status of the Europa Cup, except for the Final itself.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Anything for which we can blame Man U and I'm in!

Personally, I think that argument about Man Utd's fault for devaluing the cup over-emphasises the importance of Man Utd. The world does not revolve around Man Utd, whatever they may think.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The more Premiershit teams who mess up and get knocked out early the better. It makes the later rounds much more fun (this years League Cup for instance)

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Personally, I think that argument about Man Utd's fault for devaluing the cup over-emphasises the importance of Man Utd. The world does not revolve around Man Utd, whatever they may think.

Ferguson, Pat Crerand (wheeled out every 5 minutes as an old bully) and Sky would have you believe they are bigger than football itself.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
LFC started with a much weaker side today and got what they deserved.
Pathetic and should have to play the best team available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here