Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League block Shelter's 'away shirt at home' awareness day

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Do you know how many AirB&B properties that this currently applies to ..are they in the right location?
The ‘empty’ office blocks ..how many in say Brighton? Or other areas of homelessness …would apartments be suitable for families…how quickly could this be done etc
As the other poster said to legislate on those who hold a portfolio of properties that they let out seems counter productive and mean
Still you’d let people keep their second home …aren’t they quite often in areas like Cornwall where many can’t even stay in the town they were born in due to people buying second homes etc etc

Re the Shelter bit it’s disappointing that the PL can’t accommodate this initiative

Anston House, empty since 1987.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Still got that shirt in the loft

Still got that shirt in my shirt drawer. Still wear it. The letters haven't survived the ravages of time as well as hoped.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Given clubs produced special "one-off" shirts for all sorts of events these days, can't they just all wear a special "one-off" shirt that just happens to look like the away shirt for a home game around Christmas?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Good. Where would it stop. A different charity "theme" for each match? We have enough silly distractions at games already. Bring back Gully's Girls.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Non story.

bigissue.png

Big Issue decide it's a story - and even pay Twitter to promote the story.

Pretty embarrassing for the PL, this.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
View attachment 142038

Big Issue decide it's a story - and even pay Twitter to promote the story.

Pretty embarrassing for the PL, this.

Good use of charity funds then.

I still think its poor form from Shelter, and their CEO is doubling down on this still.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So the FA won’t let us play in our away shirts “for charity” but it’s fine for England to play in theirs tonight?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Do they? Where does it legislate for that? The PL don't make the rules, they enforce them. The PL clubs that season sign off on the rules for that season.

The 20 clubs are the PL and they meet regularly throughout the season. With a staff including the CEO.

Collectively they were able to make major decisions at very short, requiring 14 clubs to agree, from March 2020 onwards.

They have the flexibility to help Shelter mid season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's all here.

https://www.bigissue.com/news/housing/how-many-empty-homes-are-there-in-the-uk/

Wealthy office block owners are whinging about people working from home, so firms not renting office space. So, convert the offices into apartments and get rents.
Empty AirB&B properties that aren't being used now due to covid.

That’s exactly what commercial property owners want to do, convert to residential. The recent Permitted Development law allows this.

The freeholders haven’t been whinging, you’re thinking of certain famous businesses including merchant banks, who rent from the freeholders.

They face two lots of opposition:

1. Nimbies who fight them every step of the way, the green eyed monster.
2. Councils very much want business premises to remain business premises forever. Partly through an ideal of zoned town planning. But mainly as they see business premises as providing employment.

Airbnb owners in the UK are thriving just now, in part due to staycations. Friends are buying a flat to join the party.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Let's face it it's poor from the Premier League but surely the clubs can find a better way to raise awareness than promoting their away kits?!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Let's face it it's poor from the Premier League but surely the clubs can find a better way to raise awareness than promoting their away kits?!

'No Home Kit' was was Shelter's idea. Several EFL clubs are doing it. It would get the attention of every commentator, journalist and fan.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

think trying to make a change to kits, knowing its against the rules so gets lots of media attention, is a great way to raise awareness.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I may have got my 'greedy EPL' hat on here but billionaire Premier League clubs wanting to show off their away strip at home on a busy day in the clubs stores? You bet they do.
Heh kids, that Xmas money you got, well you've already got the home strip but look, today it's changed. Buy an away strip and keep with the trend.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I may have got my 'greedy EPL' hat on here but billionaire Premier League clubs wanting to show off their away strip at home on a busy day in the clubs stores? You bet they do.
Heh kids, that Xmas money you got, well you've already got the home strip but look, today it's changed. Buy an away strip and keep with the trend.
Totally agree. Why can't they play in a sponsorless shirt as a one off and then sell the shirts to charity instead

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So the FA won’t let us play in our away shirts “for charity” but it’s fine for England to play in theirs tonight?

And the England team continue to play a home game in their away kit.

Thats a decision by the FA.

The PL are the ones who are digging their heels in over this issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here