Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League Announce Hall of Fame

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm so glad football was invented in 1992. What did we do without it ?
As our stay in the PL lengthens I'm beginning to warm to the whole concept of 'football was invented in 1992'. It makes our top-flight record better (37th as opposed to 47th if we go back to 1888), and if Palace get relegated soon it will be easier for us to catch them! :)

Interestingly although the PL was invented in 1992 and the common belief is that it's much harder to get into than the old 1st division, 50 clubs have been in the PL at some stage. If we go back to the real birth of the top division (1888/89) the number of clubs who have been in the top flight between 1888 and 2023 is only 65, i.e. only 15 different names in nearly a 100 years. I thought the difference would be much higher.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As our stay in the PL lengthens I'm beginning to warm to the whole concept of 'football was invented in 1992'. It makes our top-flight record better (37th as opposed to 47th if we go back to 1888), and if Palace get relegated soon it will be easier for us to catch them! :)

Interestingly although the PL was invented in 1992 and the common belief is that it's much harder to get into than the old 1st division, 50 clubs have been in the PL at some stage. If we go back to the real birth of the top division (1888/89) the number of clubs who have been in the top flight between 1888 and 2023 is only 65, i.e. only 15 different names in nearly a 100 years. I thought the difference would be much higher.
I just tried – and failed – to find an answer to this question online, but has it always been three teams up and three teams down in the top division? If not, that might explain the relatively low turnover of teams?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sorry, could well be, I just know it was definitely 4 promoted.
Yep, I looked it up and it was to do with the league expanding to 22 teams. Which means at some point that scenario must've somehow been reversed as the number dropped to 20 teams...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I just tried – and failed – to find an answer to this question online, but has it always been three teams up and three teams down in the top division? If not, that might explain the relatively low turnover of teams?
No. For a long time it was two up and two down between divs 1, 2 and 3. Three up/down came in in 1973/74. But yes, that might account for it. Also of course for the first five or so years of its existence there was only one division, then when the second division was established in 1892 promotion and relegation was not automatic, instead there were a series of play-offs (called 'Test Matches') between the top teams in the second and bottom teams in the first. (The format varied). Automatic promotion/relegation (two teams) was introduced in 1898/99.

EDIT: And until the fourth division was established in 1958/59 the 'two up' from the Third to the Second was just the champions of 3rd division north and 3rd division south.

From

An Anorak.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here