Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premier league and money in football

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
But the Albion have been such a massive part of my life, (this club is often all I think of all day) I struggle to comprehend how football fans can walk away from the sport and their clubs.
What's your take on this and money in football in general?

It's not quite the same for us because we've still been languishing in the lower reaches of the league for the last 20 years, and even now we're on a high they've kept season ticket prices reasonable.

Arsenal ST prices have been over a grand for some time now, if that happened here I don't think I could justify the cost, especially if we were in the prem and lots of games were on TV

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
yeah, because motor sport is inexpensive? i believe people have always fallen in and out of love with football (and any other pasttime or hobby), the money in football is just a reason or excuse. if you didnt read the papers you wouldnt know about the money side.

sorry fella but I really don't understand your point. Surely your not suggesting that money in Motorsport is even in the same galaxy as football. And ruling that out i presume your talking about as a hobby which wasn't my point but seeing as my colleague is a mechanic and maintains his bike himself then no, compared with a season ticket at Highbury and all the other trimmings of a match it isn't that expensive for him either.
He was just getting at how the ordinary joe blow has to pay through the nose while prem players wages and egos are going through the roof. And with the advent of the silly money the soul of the sport he loved has been sold out.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
I have a very good friend who is also an Arsenal fan who had a season ticket from about 1985-2003. He follow them everywhere, He didn't miss a game home and away for two seasons at one point around 1998-2000. He stopped going around 2005 and has not been to a game since.

He just states that football has changed too much and not for the better in this country and mentions the following reasons-
Foreign or not local players becoming the majority.
Players salaries.
Arsenal moving out of Highbury.
Ticket prices going silly.

I can really see that he doesn't give a shit about football these days when you mention the subject. His love of the game died once money took over.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I have a very good friend who is also an Arsenal fan who had a season ticket from about 1985-2003. He follow them everywhere, He didn't miss a game home and away for two seasons at one point around 1998-2000. He stopped going around 2005 and has not been to a game since.

He just states that football has changed too much and not for the better in this country and mentions the following reasons-
Foreign or not local players becoming the majority.
Players salaries.
Arsenal moving out of Highbury.
Ticket prices going silly.

I can really see that he doesn't give a shit about football these days when you mention the subject. His love of the game died once money took over.

Yep, they were pretty much the sentiments of my work friend.
Anyway, I only really started the thread so that palace fans think we never really wanted to go up anyway because its tainted with greed, avarice and hugely overrated :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here