Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League admit VAR made a MISTAKE in awarding Brighton a last-minute penalty

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Whether VAR or not, whether intentional or not, it was a foul. That means a penalty was justified.

I hate VAR, but it worked in our favour for once. No gripe with the scousers (other than the normal one), but fxxk the refs association, the VAR officials, the FA/Premier League and the media.

Yes, where I am....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This is where VAR isn’t clear. It should be a tool to support officials. You’re probably right, in isolation it could see that incident as a penalty, but on field the ref had decided no foul and I think we can be fairly certain he saw it. So the mistake for VAR is determining that as a clear and obvious error, when really it wasn’t. Had the ref given it, I’d expect VAR to uphold the decision.

I agree, but it seems an offside decision can be made on the tiniest of margins, I suspect because the Linesmen have been told to not flag for a close call, as VAR will catch it if it was offside. I have watched the Connolly penalty decision a few times and whilst Keane is looking skyward at the moment he treads on Connolly, he does take a quick look to see where he is a moment before, I don't think it was accidental that he trod on him, it is the type of trick defenders learn in the professional game as a foul they can commit to impede an opponent and get away with almost every time. If the deciding referee notices that quick glance, I think it makes it more likely he will give it. A reason I would like to hear the referees working out and description of what he is seeing. I have read the contact described as Keane accidentally stepping on Connolly's toe, whereas when I look at it I see he deliberately treads on his ankle.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Any chance points could be taken away then ?!?!

Surely premier League are opening themselves up for a court case if this is true.

Idiots

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk
No chance of points being taken away. If there was, there would be chaos with all matches every week being reviewed in minute detail.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Ah, the Daily Fail. It of 'Hitler is a very nice man'. Thanks to their efforts we averted a catestrophic second world war. And on other pages, Palace are going to singe Ronaldo.

:facepalm:

The Holy Grail is a travesty Harold, I once got castigated on here for admitting I cover up the stack of Daily Hates in my local supermarket with any other rag to hand when I go in, thus confusing all the coffin dodgers looking for their printed fix of fictional inflammatory shite.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Any chance points could be taken away then ?!?!
No.
Surely premier League are opening themselves up for a court case if this is true.
No. It's no different than every decision before VAR, which was made by the officials, and subsequently judged as being incorrect.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You’re probably right, in isolation it could see that incident as a penalty, but on field the ref had decided no foul and I think we can be fairly certain he saw it.
Obviously the ref saw Connolly go down, but I think it's unlikely that the ref saw Keane step on Connolly's foot. It's possible he did, but it's definitely not certain.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So why have the PL picked out Brighton as the first team to have officially got lucky as a result of a bad VAR decision? Have they apologised to every other team that's been on the wrong end of a dodgy one?

Pah! - VAR just gets shittier and shittier.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The Holy Grail is a travesty Harold, I once got castigated on here for admitting I cover up the stack of Daily Hates in my local supermarket with any other rag to hand when I go in, thus confusing all the coffin dodgers looking for their printed fix of fictional inflammatory shite.

I've seen a lot of good descriptions of the Fail but this is up there with the best. Chapeau Sir!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Top work, PG.

I read a copy once, long ago. It felt like I was being relentlessly goaded into going out and assaulting a gypsy, black person or homosexual, and encouraged to feel smug about being white and knowing my place. As for the Femail section, if I were a woman reading that I'd feel like I was being encouraged to feel slightly overweight, unworthy of my husband, and grateful. Ready to adopt the kneeling position.

Horrible, poisonous piece of filth.

Football coverage was quite decent, though.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I thought it would have been a free kick anywhere else on the pitch, ergo, it was a penalty.

I don’t like VAR, both our goals against Norwich I couldn’t really give it a full on celebration, cos, I thought both could have been VARred. It does stop the spontaneous celebrations.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
This is all very much an Everton take on the meeting, and should be taken with a large pinch of salt.

The story in the Mail has no direct quotes and a similar story in the telegraph goes as far as to contradict itself as to whether any discussions about Everton match incidents actually took place.

From the telegraph:

Now the Premier League have privately admitted an error was made on the advice of video referee Lee Mason. Everton are aware of the acceptance from the governing body they were wronged in the incident. That is no consolation to Silva, who is under immense pressure ahead of the international break.

Silva met referees chief Mike Riley alongside Premier League referees on Thursday, although it is unclear what, if any, observations were made about recent incidents affecting his side.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
utter nonsense. VAR will make mistakes because ultimately it is a person interpreting what they see e.g. a hand on the back was it just that or a push . To apologise for this incident (if indeed that is what they did do) was a mistake if they are not also admitting a number of other dodgy decisions by refs.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Yes it was a soft penalty but the following week in the Liverpool v Tottenham game the same thing happened out on the wing, and Gary Neville straight away said it was a foul (not that Gary Neville is a great authority but he knows the game). A foul is a foul wherever it is on the pitch. Having said that if it was given against us I’d be gutted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

kentgully

Jan 10, 2016
Worthing
What was a mistake ? Keane trod on Connolly's foot in the penalty area, there is no doubt.

The VAR official INTERPRETED it as a foul. It now appears someone else INTERPRETED it differently and told Marco Silva they had.

So where was the Mistake ?

The mistake was, of course, believing something written in the Daily Mail :lolol:

My thoughts exactly..........

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
VAR also got it wrong when it didn't overturn the red card against Son. The PL have basically accepted that, as they've overturned the red card, so Everton got lucky there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here