[Albion] Premier League 30/9 - 3/10/23

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Are they basically saying that they didn't bother to draw lines and check at all? Sounds like it.
Neville in the live commentary was equally dismissive when watching the replays back, he effectively said ‘oh yes he’s offside’.

I genuinely think some people have a problem understanding perspective and drawing up the lines in their head, including the VAR teams.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Premier League teams can't sue. I wonder if punters can?

Would be a great test case... which would presumably lead to PGMOL ceasing to admit mistakes, but still - imagine the drama!!

4ae97595-2aee-45fd-9be8-9201c4a5a4b4.jpg

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
PGMOL are a f***ing disgrace. How can it not be corruption? There is no way anyone that knows anything about football thought that was offside, let alone a 'qualified official'. Why did they not even draw the lines? Why did the lino flag for what was clearly a marginal call in the first place?
I believe 100% that it’s not corruption. It’s a combination of incompetence and defective procedures.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Some now reporting the reason they did not draw lines is because VAR thought onfield call was onside so no need as it was obvious. Either way a shambles.

Just as it was that the second and third villa goals stood. The one of March is just bizarre. He was lucky to escape injury from a no arms rugby tackle. It is was torpedo dive. Staggeringly bad. After the chelsea non second yellow it has been a bad week. But I am sure Webb will do a nice podcast and we can move on.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No, they really aren't. Wrong decisions like this diminish the game, regardless of who's playing. If you think that's hilariously funny then you relinquish the moral high ground when Brighton are the victims of terrible VAR decisions.
I apologise for gaining a modicum of enjoyment at the expense of one of the most entitled, boorish fan bases around being so utterly annoyed in an attempt to add levity to the mundanity and ultimate desperate pointlessness of our short time on this dying planet.

I shall henceforth self-flagellate and administer 6 “Hail Marys” in an attempt to make sure that the next time we are on the wrong end of a VAR decision any attempt to point this out might be something more meaningful than simply screaming into the void pointlessly knowing that nobody will actually listen.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Why did they think the goal had been ruled out then?! Bizarre.
Apparently it clearly dawned on the ref what had happened just after the restart. I assume it will all come out. Either way it is dreadful. I texted my group chat with mates including two spurs fans asking if I missed the lines as looked onside. Ridiculous

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Some now reporting the reason they did not draw lines is because VAR thought onfield call was onside so no need as it was obvious. Either way a shambles.

Just as it was that the second and third villa goals stood. The one of March is just bizarre. He was lucky to escape injury from a no arms rugby tackle. It is was torpedo dive. Staggeringly bad. After the chelsea non second yellow it has been a bad week. But I am sure Webb will do a nice podcast and we can move on.
Eh? Don't they check all goals for potential offsides regardless of the onfield decision?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

VAR wouldn’t have anything to do with a second yellow.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
PGMOL have just confirmed that the var officals were confused and thought the goal had been given so didn't check. Genuinely unacceptable incompetence.
Confused? No - they just weren't paying attention, probably watching the golf or something. Goodness knows they get paid enough to sit in a nice warm room and watch football, so the glaring error is inexcusable.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
PGMOL have just confirmed that the var officals were confused and thought the goal had been given so didn't check. Genuinely unacceptable incompetence.
No, the VAR did check it but apparently he thought the goal had been given so when he looked at it, he saw it was onside and just said ‘check complete’ as in the goal was fine.

It really is staggering incompetence and the fact they didn’t pull it back when they realised within seconds they’d all made a massive f*** up is ridiculous.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
So surely they should have realised when the ref indicated offside and they didn’t kick off from the centre circle? Why didn’t they immediately contact him?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Premier League teams can't sue. I wonder if punters can?

Would be a great test case... which would presumably lead to PGMOL ceasing to admit mistakes, but still - imagine the drama!!

View attachment 167342
How about we ban sports betting instead ? VAR was introduced in part to satisfy the gambling industry and the game is now imploding. Start by getting rid of their adverts.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Yes, we are continually being told they do, so if PGMOL are saying otherwise it sounds untrue.
PGMOL are not saying otherwise. They checked the goal. They have said they didn't check the offside more closely because they thought the on-field decision was a goal and when they looked at the images it was clearly onside so no need to draw the lines etc.

This is a breakdown in communication between the on field ref and the VAR room. You'd have thought with around 10 officials now involved in each game one of them would have noticed the mistake before it was too late to reverse the decision.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
PGMOL are not saying otherwise. They checked the goal. They have said they didn't check the offside more closely because they thought the on-field decision was a goal and when they looked at the images it was clearly onside so no need to draw the lines etc.

This is a breakdown in communication between the on field ref and the VAR room. You'd have thought with around 10 officials now involved in each game one of them would have noticed the mistake before it was too late to reverse the decision.
Wow. Really ? I was just going on what another poster said. That begs the question were they actually watching the game in the subsequent minutes. So when they did realise they just stuck their fingers in their ears and hoped it would go away. Our game basically has a machine that lacks operators able to use it and yet we persist with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports