[Albion] Premier League 27/06 - 02/07

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It is. Here's an amusing thread start from July when they'd gone on their spending spree: https://www.villatalk.com/topic/19143-doing-a-fulham/

Edit: Sorry can't seem to remove the image with the missing parts of the quote from Allardyce from the post.

Great spot. Shows their arrogance.

I don’t remember us being this arrogant when we were first promoted. Excited sure, but we were humble and under no delusions we would struggle to stay up.

Them slagging off Big Sam is typical. And ironic, as he’d be a perfect manager for them at this time and would give them a fighting chance of survival.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Villa are remarkably poor, particularly with regard to goal threat given the zillions they spent.

I keep expecting that to change but it just doesn't seem to.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Villa are remarkably poor, particularly with regard to goal threat given the zillions they spent.

I keep expecting that to change but it just doesn't seem to.

...although having checked, I now see they've scored more goals than we have this season!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It is. Here's an amusing thread start from July when they'd gone on their spending spree:

Edit: Sorry can't seem to remove the image with the missing parts of the quote from Allardyce from the post.

Allardyce got that spot on, IMHO. £100M spent on three players would have been much better than buying a load of mediocre (by PL standards) mostly around the £8 - £10M mark.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Great spot. Shows their arrogance.

I don’t remember us being this arrogant when we were first promoted. Excited sure, but we were humble and under no delusions we would struggle to stay up.

Them slagging off Big Sam is typical. And ironic, as he’d be a perfect manager for them at this time and would give them a fighting chance of survival.

Whatever one thinks about Big Sam, he is vastly experienced and knows how to get results at the top level.

Allardyce got that spot on, IMHO. £100M spent on three players would have been much better than buying a load of mediocre (by PL standards) mostly around the £8 - £10M mark.

Amazing comments there, I remember reading some of that at the time. My favourites are:

'Genuinely think there is more chance of us doing a Leicester than a Fulham.'

And this beauty:

'I don't think we are doing a Fulham here.

We are doing something completely unheard of, it's Fulham on steroids if anything.

A newly promoted Man City if anything.

Not something to be proud of, we just had to as we had no squad left going into this season.

we happen to have filthy rich owners who can bankroll this absurd spending, if we hadn't we'd had have to beg borrow and steal, but we'd still have to sign a whole new squad.

Fulham wish they'd have done a Villa.'

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Whatever one thinks about Big Sam, he is vastly experienced and knows how to get results at the top level.

Amazing comments there, I remember reading some of that at the time. My favourites are:

'Genuinely think there is more chance of us doing a Leicester than a Fulham.'

And this beauty:

'I don't think we are doing a Fulham here.

We are doing something completely unheard of, it's Fulham on steroids if anything.

A newly promoted Man City if anything.

Not something to be proud of, we just had to as we had no squad left going into this season.

we happen to have filthy rich owners who can bankroll this absurd spending, if we hadn't we'd had have to beg borrow and steal, but we'd still have to sign a whole new squad.

Fulham wish they'd have done a Villa.'

Unbelievable. They thought it was the beginning of a Citeh/Mansour era.

Arrogant, delusional t*ssers.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Unbelievable. They thought it was the beginning of a Citeh/Mansour era.

Arrogant, delusional t*ssers.
Those were cherry picked and perhaps the most delusional. There were a few fans who observed in a more circumspect manner but the majority were incredibly optimistic. It's fun to look further on and see the penny slowly dropping.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Didn't they get promoted with a team of loanees and oldies.

I thought they had to scattergun the window just to get to 25 players.
The price they paid for a 'promotion or bust' season in the Championship.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Didn't they get promoted with a team of loanees and oldies.

I thought they had to scattergun the window just to get to 25 players.
The price they paid for a 'promotion or bust' season in the Championship.

It was all Grealish though. When he was injured in the winter 18-19 they only won 2 out of 12 games, immediatly when he came back they won 10 straight games. It was a one man team. Sure, Mings, Hause, McGinn and Abraham but they would have failed playoffs without Grealish.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The seemingly instant return of Aston Villa and Norwich to the Championship does show that we shouldn't underestimate Hughton keeping us in the league for the first two seasons.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
BBC website ahead of Watford match:

Andre Gray, Nathaniel Chalobah and Domingos Quina have all been omitted from the squad, with the club saying it is to "ensure the health and safety of all players, staff and officials at today’s game".

It was reported that Gray hosted a party at his home, breaking lockdown rules.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
BBC website ahead of Watford match:

Andre Gray, Nathaniel Chalobah and Domingos Quina have all been omitted from the squad, with the club saying it is to "ensure the health and safety of all players, staff and officials at today’s game".

It was reported that Gray hosted a party at his home, breaking lockdown rules.
Watford fans are surely seething about this .

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The seemingly instant return of Aston Villa and Norwich to the Championship does show that we shouldn't underestimate Hughton keeping us in the league for the first two seasons.

Yep, and the first man to get us back to the top fight in over 30 years. We've all seen the Liverpool headlines.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The LEGEND Chris Iwelumo on the SKY's panel for this afternoon's game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports