Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 26-28/09

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Last season the Albion and Manure benefitted most from VAR decisions. Little old Brighton were not non-top 6 victims.

But that's just repeating the point that Green Cross Code Man & I were debunking. We may have 'technically' had VAR decisions go our way, but the vast majority of them were rather meaningless; like the offside goals yesterday. By simply repeating the oft-quoted stat, you are basically saying that we benefitted as much as Man U yesterday because they had two goals ruled out and we had the two penalty issues. Because that's what the pure stats will show; 2 decisions favouring each side.

I don't think we 'benefitted equally from VAR decisions' yesterday. Do you?

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Can anyone confirm why they think the Dier handball was a penalty.

I presume it was one of these two laws:

Touches the ball with their hand/arm when the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
The hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

The word unnaturally obviously leaves room for interpretation. Dier was jumping forwards quite high and his training arm was out for balance. Is this unnatural?
From the freeze frames it is not totally clear where the ball hits his arm. It is marginal at best if it hits his arm above the line of his shoulder. It is certainly not an obvious error not to give a penalty.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I keep seeing the claim we were highest gainers last year. That includes many goals which were going to be disallowed for offside in any case. No-one to my knowledge, has produced a table of benefited parties with decisions that were not clear cut and which otherwise would have resulted in a different outcome.

That renders the argument that we benefited more than others, redundant.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Once you introduce the subjectivity of “not clear cut”, you end the discussion. You might think that a goal ruled out by VAR for a foot or head being 6cm offside is unfair, whilst I might think it is.

I, and the media, are simply referring to the facts of VAR decisions last season:

68A949D2-2A0E-44BC-A52A-3B617BD78C97.png

Then professional analysts convert that into net points gained or lost as a result. For example Villa gained one and the Blades lost two from that ridiculous failure of goal line technology ...... where VAR admitted screwing up, he could in fact have declared a Blades goal.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Can anyone confirm why they think the Dier handball was a penalty.

I presume it was one of these two laws:

Touches the ball with their hand/arm when the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
The hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

The word unnaturally obviously leaves room for interpretation. Dier was jumping forwards quite high and his training arm was out for balance. Is this unnatural?
From the freeze frames it is not totally clear where the ball hits his arm. It is marginal at best if it hits his arm above the line of his shoulder. It is certainly not an obvious error not to give a penalty.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But that's just repeating the point that Green Cross Code Man & I were debunking. We may have 'technically' had VAR decisions go our way, but the vast majority of them were rather meaningless; like the offside goals yesterday. By simply repeating the oft-quoted stat, you are basically saying that we benefitted as much as Man U yesterday because they had two goals ruled out and we had the two penalty issues. Because that's what the pure stats will show; 2 decisions favouring each side.

I don't think we 'benefitted equally from VAR decisions' yesterday. Do you?

Yesterday - is the only stink from two matters?:

1. Time added on. Talksport for example and I think that too much time was added on. BUT several NSC posters yesterday, one with exact numbers, said the ref was 100% correct. VAR does not determine time added on in time added on. To be clear, those posters are saying that Maupay handled it within legit time.

2. The handball. Maupay handled it. He did didn’t he? Why? Why hand the points to Manure?

I haven’t seen thousands of posts targeted directly about other specific injustices.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yesterday - is the only stink from two matters?:

1. Time added on. Talksport for example and I think that too much time was added on. BUT several NSC posters yesterday, one with exact numbers, said the ref was 100% correct. VAR does not determine time added on in time added on. To be clear, those posters are saying that Maupay handled it within legit time.

2. The handball. Maupay handled it. He did didn’t he? Why? Why hand the points to Manure?

I haven’t seen thousands of posts targeted directly about other specific injustices.

But your post was purely about VAR decisions and us being the main beneficiaries last year according to the stats. That's what I was responding to!

These two matters are different discussions altogether.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I'm wondering where Bale fits into that Spurs side, Jo z z Z Ze will strangle the life out his game

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
VAR + Jose being proven again to be a busted flush = :smile:

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
They seem to have conceded two penalties which look exactly like the one we had overturned yesterday.

yes, thought the same. especially the 2nd, when pundits said ‘he got his body in the way, he knew exactly what he was doing’.
now isn’t that whet happened yesterday and penalty wasn’t given because he had initiated contact

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Marcelo has been on a real journey with Bamford who was very unpopular with Leeds fans for two seasons, and reliant on his support. This is how you motivate a player and build his confidence...

https://www.facebook.com/COPA90/videos/bamford-training-ground-wonder-goal/351627905596198/

Marcelo IS a coaching genius. It really is as simple as that. He is an intellectual, so he understand the game as well (or better) as anyone , but he also has a lot of warmth which his interviews (deliberately opaque so as to ward off the media's nonsense) don't give any hint of. If you give your best for him, he is completely loyal and protective in return.

Whatever, no one cares

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I don't think Citeh have got as much money to play with as everyone assumes after they appealed successfully to play in the Champions League. I'll laugh my b*llocks off when Ferencvaros knock them out in the group stage.

Karma is coming back to bite them. I hope they self destruct. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here