Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 21-24/12/23

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Amazing that that foul was deemed in the same phase of play but the foul on March up there was deemed a different one even though it directly led to a goal.

I don't think the March one was to do with the phase of play, more that when the ref went to the screen he didn't see enough evidence of a foul by March so stuck with his original decision?

I'm fairly sure the VAR concluded it was a foul but it was a different phase of play and the ref wasn't asked to look at the monitor. In any case it was the clearest foul anyone could ever see.
Think these may have been different events - or even a conflation of events?

The 'foul' BY March led to Mitoma scoring. The ref did go to the monitor - and stuck with his decision (this was against Spurs - not Villa)

There was a foul ON March v Villa that wasn't given as a penalty.

There was also a penalty awarded against March v Villa that was then overturned after ref went to the monitor - but I think that was a different game?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There's something dodgy about grease head not sure what but he is very odd. Steve Coogan gives me the creeps and he could be a character of his.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

The 'foul' BY March led to Mitoma scoring. The ref did go to the monitor - and stuck with his decision (this was against Spurs - not Villa)

There was also a penalty awarded against March v Villa that was then overturned after ref went to the monitor - but I think that was a different game?
I think you are right only it was a goal by Lamptey against Spurs not Mitoma.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

No, this season away to Villa. From the Guardians "how it happened" report:

There was a foul on March in the build-up but it wasn’t given and Villa counter-attacked to devastating effect once again. After good play from Watkins, Diaby shot straight at Steele, then mishit a follow-up that was going well wide until the off-balance Estupinan unwittingly turned it into his own net.

It’s being checked by VAR.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
No, this season away to Villa. From the Guardians "how it happened" report:

There was a foul on March in the build-up but it wasn’t given and Villa counter-attacked to devastating effect once again. After good play from Watkins, Diaby shot straight at Steele, then mishit a follow-up that was going well wide until the off-balance Estupinan unwittingly turned it into his own net.

It’s being checked by VAR.
Oh yes - I'd been trying to put that game out of my mind. Amazing how many VAR decisions there have been against Villa!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Tbf if that disallowed goal was ours I’d be raging, absolutely awful decision.
Nah. You can argue about processes and phases all you like, but the bottom line is that Ramsey DID pull the keeper back by one arm, which stopped him coming for the cross. You can’t get that annoyed that the officials - by whatever process - see it, and give it.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Nah. You can argue about processes and phases all you like, but the bottom line is that Ramsey DID pull the keeper back by one arm, which stopped him coming for the cross. You can’t get that annoyed that the officials - by whatever process - see it, and give it.

Lots of fouls go unpenalised though, especially in the box, not all are relevant. If it leads to a goal then of course it gets chalked off but in this case, it’s a new phase of play. The Sheffield players get the ball and should have cleared it, the keeper was on his feet and set for the play. The foul had no impact at all on the play for the subsequent goal.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Lots of fouls go unpenalised though, especially in the box, not all are relevant. If it leads to a goal then of course it gets chalked off but in this case, it’s a new phase of play. The Sheffield players get the ball and should have cleared it, the keeper was on his feet and set for the play. The foul had no impact at all on the play for the subsequent goal.
They SHOULD have cleared it, but they didn’t. The PGMOL measure of when they are deemed to have full control (and thus the attacking phase is over) is when a defender successfully completes a pass to a teammate. Because Baldock’s (terrible) pass was intercepted, that is not deemed the case. I agree that they've had a lucky escape, but not that Villa can feel too aggrieved.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
They SHOULD have cleared it, but they didn’t. The PGMOL measure of when they are deemed to have full control (and thus the attacking phase is over) is when a defender successfully completes a pass to a teammate. Because Baldock’s (terrible) pass was intercepted, that is not deemed the case. I agree that they've had a lucky escape, but not that Villa can feel too aggrieved.
They did complete a pass, a Sheffield player passed it to Baldock.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They did complete a pass, a Sheffield player passed it to Baldock.
Did they? I thought it just bounced off someone to him.
The bottom line is that it almost certainly stopped Villa winning, and going top of the league - so definitely a very GOOD call.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Did they? I thought it just bounced off someone to him.
The bottom line is that it almost certainly stopped Villa winning, and going top of the league - so definitely a very GOOD call.
Yeah there was a short pass forward to him.

I just think that if you want to address all the VAR stuff then we have to look at all the decisions, not just our own.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yeah there was a short pass forward to him.

I just think that if you want to address all the VAR stuff then we have to look at all the decisions, not just our own.
There's no pass rule.

The scramble came about from the keeper not being able to catch it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here