Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 21-23/1/23

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
After seeing Forests antics in the first half against us, I decided to time the stoppages in the second half with the stopwatch on my watch (sad I know, but I could see what their plan was and did it out of interest). With all their constant going to ground, rolling around, taking an AGE over every set piece etc there was just short of 9 minutes. The officials added 5.

I could've done the same with the Villa game, but couldn't be arsed. I doubt the ball was in play more than 55 minutes in either of those games.
Think I said, but at a recent supporters club forum it came up and RDZ said the normal time for the all to be ‘in play’ is about 45 mins across the 90. Villa was 42. Both poor stats aren’t they.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Unbelievable again from Tierney there. Stoppage time injury - play started 90-30 secs. Was in play for 3 seconds and another double injury. Restarts at 92 mins on the dot. 2 throw ins spurs took 30 secs each. Another 45 secs for another injury. So should have been at least 3-4 mins to be added to additional time - played 50 seconds! Unbelievably naive and plain thick. Glad it irks you too…!
It’s a disgrace. I can’t believe they keep getting away with it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It’s a disgrace. I can’t believe they keep getting away with it.
There was even a video on sky a month or so ago. Scum v Leeds which scum won. They showed the stoppages in injury time and about 2 mins less were played - of course scum benefited as per usual as they won. So poor. Howard Webb, if he’s doing his job right, should be straight on the blower to Tierney now asking what the hell he was doing. Won’t be though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Spot on, Forest and Villa were two of the worst for it I’ve seen in years. The thing is, it shouldn’t matter. If the refs did their job and added the time wasted on at the end, it would stop it almost overnight.

I’m generally against big changes to the rules and officiating but I do think there’s an argument for drastic changes to timekeeping.

And I know, all teams do it to an extent. Doesn’t make it right.
They could add on ALL the time to account for the timewasting (as they seemed to do in the World Cup). But the problem is, the primary objective of all the shithousing is not so much wasting time, but disrupting the game. Stopping any flow, any momentum. Reducing the game to a series of stoppages and delays to prevent a better team being able to get into any kind of rhythm or flow that would threaten them. THATS the objective.

Unfortunately its very effective, as the Forest and Villa results will testify. They deliberately set out to destroy the match as a spectacle. I don't know the answer to solve this.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I don't think scouting has been Chelsea's issue , they have had numbers of decent players come through (or should I say should have come through) , It's been the process of getting them in the first team that has been the issue and that has been mainly driven by the need for instant and constant success. This has been paralleled in the churn of managers.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
They could add on ALL the time to account for the timewasting (as they seemed to do in the World Cup). But the problem is, the primary objective of all the shithousing is not so much wasting time, but disrupting the game. Stopping any flow, any momentum. Reducing the game to a series of stoppages and delays to prevent a better team being able to get into any kind of rhythm or flow that would threaten them. THATS the objective.

Unfortunately its very effective, as the Forest and Villa results will testify. They deliberately set out to destroy the match as a spectacle. I don't know the answer to solve this.
Allow physios onto the pitch to deal with injuries while play continues, rugby style would be worth a go - negating the offside rule if necessary

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Allow physios onto the pitch to deal with injuries while play continues, rugby style would be worth a go - negating the offside rule if necessary
And if the injured player is laying prone in the penalty area or the 6 yard box ?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
As in rugby the onus is on the team in possession to keep play clear of them or the whistle goes.
I'm thinking crack teams is of stretcher bearers who carry anyone down straight off unless it's a possibile spinal injury.
And if the injured player is laying prone in the penalty area or the 6 yard box

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008

While part of the objective it to ruin the flow, it’s also a fact that it minimises the time the ball is in play before the final whistle, which brings them closer to their objective. If the time was added on it would make the tactic much less effective.

There was another example today, which worked in our favour but was still a shambles. I’ve not watched it back but I reckon of the five minutes allocated at the end, the ball was in play for probably two minutes and ref blew up SO early. Henderson got booked for complaining after the final whistle and although I was obviously buzzing with the result, I couldn’t blame him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here