Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 2023/24 season preview thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Post your links to whole-division or Albion-only season previews here...

FourFourTwo

Roberto De Zerbi’s innovative hybrid of controlled possession and rapid counter-attacking football relies on high levels of both technical ability and composure, especially close to his team’s goal, but the freak 5-1 defeat at home to Everton at the end of last season shows what can happen when an opposition side has no interest in having the ball.​
Managers will have noted that and are likely to instruct their players not to fall into Brighton’s press-baiting trap. RDZ isn’t the kind of coach who completely abandons his principles when things aren’t working; however, the Italian may need to tweak tactics slightly when Plan A isn’t having the desired effect.​
Predicted finish: 10th (from Albion fan Owen Wilkinson)

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
My biggest issue with that type of publication is that it's written a long time before the season starts. You have no idea the business that will get done by the end of the window so it's out of date even prior to being released. I understand why it is the case, you can't put out a preview in September when the season is already underway but it drastically reduces the value of the content.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

FourFourTwo

Roberto De Zerbi’s innovative hybrid of controlled possession and rapid counter-attacking football relies on high levels of both technical ability and composure, especially close to his team’s goal, but the freak 5-1 defeat at home to Everton at the end of last season shows what can happen when an opposition side has no interest in having the ball.​
Managers will have noted that and are likely to instruct their players not to fall into Brighton’s press-baiting trap. RDZ isn’t the kind of coach who completely abandons his principles when things aren’t working; however, the Italian may need to tweak tactics slightly when Plan A isn’t having the desired effect.​
I think everyone will have noted the tactics, not rocket science is it really to come up with that conclusion, as it is correct and RDZ will have to have a plan B & C.
I was wondering about the tactics the other day and came to the conclusion RDZ style is terrific, but has a shelf life and he may have other ideas that he will implement, but ultimately he will stay at a club hopefully for 2-3 seasons and then either upgrade in club and work with technically better players or move to another country and rinse and repeat so to speak.

Ah, what do I know, ignore me.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
I think everyone will have noted the tactics, not rocket science is it really to come up with that conclusion, as it is correct and RDZ will have to have a plan B & C.
I was wondering about the tactics the other day and came to the conclusion RDZ style is terrific, but has a shelf life and he may have other ideas that he will implement, but ultimately he will stay at a club hopefully for 2-3 seasons and then either upgrade in club and work with technically better players or move to another country and rinse and repeat so to speak.

Ah, what do I know, ignore me.
No different to Pep, the best managers adapt and evolve. He’s gone from fast wingers when he first came to England (Sané and Sterling) both playing as traditional wingers. Then he went to technical wingers cutting inside (Silva, Mahrez, Grealish).

In Aguero’s last season he was mostly on the bench and Pep played Silva or Foden as a false 9 with rotating midfield and wingers.

Last season he pretty much invented the inverted full back position that other teams have now copied. Also the John Stones role of midfield in possession and back into defence out of possession. All whilst sticking to his principles. The best managers can do it and I think RDZ falls into that category.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill

FourFourTwo

Predicted finish: 10th (from Albion fan Owen Wilkinson)

My mate Tom who wrote the main bit is also an Albion fan. I went conservative with 10th because of the Europa League.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Love this in the FourFourTwo piece. Nailed it 👍
IMG_7183.jpeg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No mention of Adingra in one to watch in the Guardian however name checked by BBC

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My mate Tom who wrote the main bit is also an Albion fan. I went conservative with 10th because of the Europa League.
I read this the other day but this line didn’t sit well with me:

‘Brighton fans should enjoy Roberto De Zerbi while they can, because he’s not going to be in East Sussex for long.’

Who the f*** made Tom mystic Meg 🤣 Just find lines line this presumptively guessing and disrespectful. Surprised he’s an Albion fan. Just an opinion, the rest was good.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Premier League's own official preview is a good read...

"The regenerative powers of Brighton continue to astound. There is seemingly no loss too great to overcome, and, remarkably, like Hydra the more Brighton are hurt the stronger they get. Cut off one head and two grow back."​

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Not a preview as such but Spreadex "Super Computer" (probably just their social media bod who I'm guessing supports Villa) has had a go at predicting the league

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
My biggest issue with that type of publication is that it's written a long time before the season starts. You have no idea the business that will get done by the end of the window so it's out of date even prior to being released. I understand why it is the case, you can't put out a preview in September when the season is already underway but it drastically reduces the value of the content.
Yep. The fool that wrote the When Saturday Comes preview (it was more of a few words about last season) apparently submitted their copy on July 10th. It’s out today.

He’s under the deluded impression that we’ll finish top 6 again although the aggregate prediction from all the writers is a healthy 8th.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here