Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 18-21/8/23

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Fair play to Arsenal for wearing a tinpot kit to a tinpot stadium. Just following the dress code.
I like that kit. It feels a bit wrong to say so, but I'd be all over us having one like that.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I'm trying to keep up with VAR. So they CANT check a yellow that results in a red but they CAN check a yellow and upgrade it to a red. Have I got that right?
Yes. I almost wonder if Tomiyasu shouldn't have protested that he deserved a straight red for that terrible, thuggish, light brush on the side of Ayew. Just as a way to force VAR to look at it.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
That palace kit is horrid.
I dunno. Kinda makes me want to go bowling

il_570xN.4931774849_p37b.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ayew was one of the most "fouled" players in the Premier League last season. The most "fouled", to be clear, not "most fouled".

The King of Dives may have left the building, but the gravity is still strong with this lot.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Striker runs in, never in control or posession, toes the ball toward the corner flag just as he gets brushed by keeper, who (foolishly) put his arms out . . . Gooner leaps like an 18 year old salmon on a promise.

Yes its a penalty now, but if it was real football, it's 50/50 a booking for diving and deliberately defrauding the beautiful game, as well as the keeper impeding his goalward progress . . . . .

A drop ball and a proper kickathon would have been a fair resumption. And a booking each.
Football in 2023, good or bad, dictates that to be a penalty.

I was brought up with the Frannie Lee / Norman Hunter post-match menu discussions but today it was a spot kick.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Striker runs in, never in control or posession, toes the ball toward the corner flag just as he gets brushed by keeper, who (foolishly) put his arms out . . . Gooner leaps like an 18 year old salmon on a promise.

Yes its a penalty now, but if it was real football, it's 50/50 a booking for diving and deliberately defrauding the beautiful game, as well as the keeper inpeding his goalward progress . . . . .

A drop ball and a proper kickathon would have been a fair resumption. And a booking each.
That was a penalty now and if it was 'real football'. Don't know what you're watching - it was definitely more than a 'brush', he definitely didn't dive, and he didn't leap and make a meal of it. He was traveling at pace, won the ball and got taken out.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017

Yes its a penalty now, but if it was real football, it's 50/50 a booking for diving and deliberately defrauding the beautiful game, as well as the keeper inpeding his goalward progress . . . . .

Sorry but that’s a penalty now or 30 years ago. That’s as blatant as they come

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What is all their fuss about with Mitchell? Bang average at best
He's nowhere near that good. Southgate picking him for England remains one of the biggest travesties of all time, and I will die on that hill.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Looks like Palace have installed higher advertising boards. Do they think they're in Europe?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm trying to keep up with VAR. So they CANT check a yellow that results in a red but they CAN check a yellow and upgrade it to a red. Have I got that right?
Always been the case.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I thought Havertz might actually be decent at Arsenal, having previously suffered from playing in rubbish Chelsea sides under crap managers.

It seems I was wrong and he is in fact just a bit rubbish.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
They aren't checking cards, they are checking the challenge/offence to ensure a sending off offence hasn't been missed.

They look at all challenges (in theory, this include those second yellows that result in a red) in case it should be a straight red. (A red for two yellow cards is a one game ban, a straight red for violent conduct is a three game ban, so they need to make sure they get it right). I don't know that we've experienced a situation where a second yellow has been given when a straight red is warranted to test that it is occurring in practice, too. I suspect if they did, some would complain about it being a waste of time and another stick to beat VAR with ("why are they wasting everyone's time, he's still being sent off either way!").

If a ref gives a yellow card for a challenge, VAR cannot advise him to downgrade it. Not when it is a first yellow, not when it is a second yellow, it can only be upgraded to a red, if necessary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here