Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 16-26/4/21

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
More impossible than difficult.

They'll be with our club until their contracts end, albeit on loan with us paying 90% of the wages still

Ouch

Better chance than not Andone will be reintroduced and Ali J will get another cameo or two before we loan him next season

Worth noting that (according to the same website) Newcastle are paying Andy Carroll £75k pw for his 4 starts, 13 sub appearances and 1 goal this season.

And Palace paying £60kpw to Connor Wickham for his 4 starts, 6 sub appearances and 3 goals in 5 seasons!

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Worth noting that (according to the same website) Newcastle are paying Andy Carroll £75k pw for his 4 starts, 13 sub appearances and 1 goal this season.

And Palace paying £60kpw to Connor Wickham for his 4 starts, 6 sub appearances and 3 goals in 5 seasons!

It's also worth noting that Joelinton's £40million transfer fee and alleged £86k a week has netted Newcastle just 5 goals over two seasons (or approx £9.7 million per goal)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's also worth noting that Joelinton's £40million transfer fee and alleged £86k a week has netted Newcastle just 5 goals over two seasons.

Well quite...

My response was really in relation to comments about Brighton players who don't get much game time but are amongst the top earners.

I'm sure the situation is similar/worse at every Prem club.

The Connor Wickham stat is horrendous.
He signed a 5 year contract ( the 4th highest aggregate deal of all of their current squad) and he has started 4 times!

I don't think we should judge AJ/Andone/Duffy or even Locadia too poorly, in light of the situation at other clubs

SAC

May 21, 2014
Well quite...

My response was really in relation to comments about Brighton players who don't get much game time but are amongst the top earners.

I'm sure the situation is similar/worse at every Prem club.

The Connor Wickham stat is horrendous.
He signed a 5 year contract ( the 4th highest aggregate deal of all of their current squad) and he has started 4 times!

I don't think we should judge AJ/Andone/Duffy or even Locadia too poorly, in light of the situation at other clubs

Hasn't he been injured for most of the time? Do clubs get insurance money when players are out with a long term injury or would the insurance be too expensive?

The website has Webster earning £5k a week less than Dunk and White on just £6.7k a week. Both seem very unlikely. It has Lallana taking a cut from £110k a week at Liverpool to £90k a week which seems plausible.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012

I think those stats are wrong, he’s made more starts than 4 !!!
In saying that, he has been injured for 3 seasons (acl).
Also noticed Brighton now pay a higher wages to revenue rate (78%) than Palace (77%) .
Well i never :blush:

SAC

May 21, 2014
Also noticed Brighton now pay a higher wages to revenue rate (78%) than Palace (77%) .

Where are those figures from, have Palace submitted accounts yet? Until Swiss Ramble has produced his excellent Tweets on the subject, I wont believe it.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Where are those figures from, have Palace submitted accounts yet? Until Swiss Ramble has produced his excellent Tweets on the subject, I wont believe it.

Some DULLARD

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Don't blush too much as your 77% is from the 18/19 season, where as our 78% is from the 19/20 season. Where are your latest set of accounts? Or are they late again (The Palace Way).

Proving Palace Wrong Again.jpg

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Don't blush too much as your 77% is from the 18/19 season, where as our 78% is from the 19/20 season. Where are your latest set of accounts? Or are they late again (The Palace Way).

You really aren't very smart, are you [MENTION=25756]Se20[/MENTION]?

Your club, a couple of weeks ago, surreptitiously published a two-page extract of the 2019-20 figures on their website - CPFC 2010 LIMITED FINANCIAL HEADLINES FOR THE PERIOD JUNE 2019 – JULY 2020 INCLUSIVE

You will be very pleased to see that Palace's wages-to-revenue figure for last season was 93% (compared to Albion's figure of 78%).

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I mistyped that 14 starts in 5 years.

Not sure if that's true or not.
Palace are never very keen on publishing their books on time are they.

Ours were pretty awful.
When are your lot going to publish last season's accounts? Edit: I see several other posters have already rumbled you on that one.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Hasn't he been injured for most of the time? Do clubs get insurance money when players are out with a long term injury or would the insurance be too expensive?

The website has Webster earning £5k a week less than Dunk and White on just £6.7k a week. Both seem very unlikely. It has Lallana taking a cut from £110k a week at Liverpool to £90k a week which seems plausible.

Yeah just checked his injury history pretty horrendous ACL which kept him out for 2 seasons.

I suspect clubs get insurance for career ending injuries, but doubt they would cover all injuries.
I would imagine the cost to insure a whole squad against injury would be prohibitive.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Ah no I didn't make a mistake on the starts figure I mis-typed the sub appearances (16 not 6)
in the past 5 seasons he has made 4 starts.

19 starts in the past 6 season, but this is the 5th season of his current contract, which is what this thread is about.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Balbuena red card overturned on appeal, some common sense for once.

Decisions like that just serve to illustrate how much of a disaster the whole VAR implementation has been.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't believe it was a sending-off offence and eventually the right outcome has been achieved. But if we just consider the sequence of events in this case:-

1) Referee sees incident live, takes no action.
2) VAR looks at incident and suggests referee views it again.
3) Referee looks at replays of incident pitchside, and decides to now show a red card.
4) After the match the appeal process is invoked and the person/committee overturns the red card.

So three different people/groups [referee, VAR and appeals person/committee] have viewed the incident on four separate occasions.

Without VAR, the referee would almost certainly not have shown the red card and the incident wouldn't have even warranted a second look by anyone.
With VAR, a ridiculously harsh - and wrong - red card has been shown; the match has been affected for the crucial final ten minutes; the authority of the referee has been completely undermined by having other referees "review" his decisions in real time and he is now second-guessing himself; the match-going attendee has unnecessary stoppages added to their "experience".

I'm increasingly of the mindset that the whole VAR experiment should be completely binned-off, at least until it can be shown that it can be implemented in a fashion where the advantages outweigh the considerable disadvantages.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
It's also worth noting that Joelinton's £40million transfer fee and alleged £86k a week has netted Newcastle just 5 goals over two seasons (or approx £9.7 million per goal)

If you look at the initial 40 points being equally worth £3m a point in prize money they still haven’t broken even, even if all 5 were 1 nil Victories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Your club, a couple of weeks ago, surreptitiously published a two-page extract of the 2019-20 figures on their website - CPFC 2010 LIMITED FINANCIAL HEADLINES FOR THE PERIOD JUNE 2019 – JULY 2020 INCLUSIVE

You will be very pleased to see that Palace's wages-to-revenue figure for last season was 93% (compared to Albion's figure of 78%).

In fact they hid - er I mean published - it the day after Price Philip died.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012

Your club, a couple of weeks ago, surreptitiously published a two-page extract of the 2019-20 figures on their website - CPFC 2010 LIMITED FINANCIAL HEADLINES FORTHE PERIOD JUNE 2019 – JULY 2020 INCLUSIVE

The figure is skewed by the fact that it included a extra month ( 13 instead of the normal 12 months)
So a extra £10 mill of wages, and a months worth of depreciation and amortisation costs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here