Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 16-26/4/21

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
There's a coach in the EPL who this weekend, when their team was losing, pulled all 11 back to defend corners.

Shirley a basic tactic is to leave a player with a bit of pace and guile up at the centre line.

Ah well, but what do I know?

Was that the same coach who had his players working the ball back to their own keeper from just outside the oppositions goal area ? Courageous or stupid ?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Lol - I've had a strikingly similar experience Tom... To be honest, it's not really that scary moreover hilarious. I've never known another poster so utterly impervious to criticism, utterly unshakable in his viewpoint - indeed he knows better than anyone, he will simply ignore any attempt at a rational riposte and tell you exactly why he's in a better position to understand things than virtually any other contributor.

Remember we're not allowed to be happy with a win and then (God forbid) be pretty cheesed off by a fairly mediocre display at say Sheff Utd... it's beyond his logic, as I would expect from a person who approaches this 'project' without any of the passion and (dare I say) love that only a true supporter can possess. He's akin to a pragmatic algorithm, who deals in fact and not the fiction wrought in the flames of a passion that can only come from a genuine allegiance.

Now I appreciate his vaunted knowledge re football from a coaching perspective, but the constant lecturing re our (the actual fans) inevitable about turns borne of blind faith vs. harsh reality I could well live without.

His is the oddest thing I've come across, he's a fan of one man - I get he's a special coach - especially in Sweden, he performed superbly over there but thus far with Swansea and us he's only hitting mediocrity.

The love in around him ('Swanny') from some, I find odd but then again if you dare to cross him (even in his head), well then you are in trouble!

This is a poster who called me an asshole for starting a thread supporting GP, after I'd been disparaging in a prior thread. A man who couldn't appreciate I might have thought about it and decided to back the manager rather than crusade for change! It is possible, you know, to relfect and change ones viewpoint - I remain gob smacked that he couldn't appreciate passions running high countered by cool reflection.

This is what football does, if you care - you will (on occasion) get it wrong but ultimately we all want the same thing... to do well, no matter the transient personnel involved.

As I say, if you're devoid of passion - how could you possibly comprehend any of it?

Albion.

Nice essay. I'm honored.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Newcastle and Burnley have done what we should have done and got themselves to a good safe position. We aren’t there yet!

Yes - the ruthless and clinical nature by which Burnley put Wolves to the sword today is a demonstration of what Potter has failed to do over the past two seasons - when the chips are down certain managers know how to get the results they need.

Potter should get another shot at it next season but unless he fixes the soft underbelly the team will continue to struggle.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
His is the oddest thing I've come across, he's a fan of one man - I get he's a special coach - especially in Sweden, he performed superbly over there but thus far with Swansea and us he's only hitting mediocrity.

As I have shown in the past - Potter's reputation in Sweden is somewhat overblown. This is not to say that he didn't do well - but he was supposed to have produced all those good results on a shoestring when, in fact, the club chairman was funneling money illegally into the club, and ended up being convicted of fraud as a result.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Yes - the ruthless and clinical nature by which Burnley put Wolves to the sword today is a demonstration of what Potter has failed to do over the past two seasons - when the chips are down certain managers know how to get the results they need.

Potter should get another shot at it next season but unless he fixes the soft underbelly the team will continue to struggle.

I agree but only if we stay up. If we are relegated (unlikely but possible) some want him to stay which I don't agree with.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I agree but only if we stay up. If we are relegated (unlikely but possible) some want him to stay which I don't agree with.
If the club is relegated (not the most likely scenario) then I don't think there is any way he stays as manager. He was brought in to progress the club and build on the foundations set by Hughton - getting relegated is doing the opposite of his remit.

It would be very, very unfortunate because this team has shown a lot of potential, but at a certain time you have to actually stop showing it and produce.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
If the club is relegated (not the most likely scenario) then I don't think there is any way he stays as manager. He was brought in to progress the club and build on the foundations set by Hughton - getting relegated is doing the opposite of his remit.

It would be very, very unfortunate because this team has shown a lot of potential, but at a certain time you have to actually stop showing it and produce.

Again I agree.

It has been very strange "project potter" - without doubt we have improved our performances against the better sides yet look woefully short against the relegation fodder. The style of football appears easy on the eye yet is so frustrating as we invariably fail to take advance of outplaying sides.

At the end of the day all that matters is results. We need to invest in a striker who has proven his ability in the British leagues.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
A shite round of results this weekend - hopefully Villa can buck the trend and give us a little something to smile about.

Sock face being sent off for another dive after scoring a winning hat trick would be ideal.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Lol - I've had a strikingly similar experience Tom... To be honest, it's not really that scary moreover hilarious. I've never known another poster so utterly impervious to criticism, utterly unshakable in his viewpoint - indeed he knows better than anyone, he will simply ignore any attempt at a rational riposte and tell you exactly why he's in a better position to understand things than virtually any other contributor.

Remember we're not allowed to be happy with a win and then (God forbid) be pretty cheesed off by a fairly mediocre display at say Sheff Utd... it's beyond his logic, as I would expect from a person who approaches this 'project' without any of the passion and (dare I say) love that only a true supporter can possess. He's akin to a pragmatic algorithm, who deals in fact and not the fiction wrought in the flames of a passion that can only come from a genuine allegiance.

Now I appreciate his vaunted knowledge re football from a coaching perspective, but the constant lecturing re our (the actual fans) inevitable about turns borne of blind faith vs. harsh reality I could well live without.

The love in around him ('Swanny') from some, I find odd but then again if you dare to cross him (even in his head), well then you are in trouble!

This is a poster who called me an asshole for starting a thread supporting GP, after I'd been disparaging in a prior thread. A man who couldn't appreciate I might have thought about it and decided to back the manager rather than crusade for change! It is possible, you know, to relfect and change ones viewpoint - I remain gob smacked that he couldn't appreciate passions running high countered by cool reflection.

This is what football does, if you care - you will (on occasion) get it wrong but ultimately we all want the same thing... to do well, no matter the transient personnel involved.

As I say, if you're devoid of passion - how could you possibly comprehend any of it?

Albion.

Can you do Hodgson next please

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Another deviation.

Citeh sneaking the poundland FA Cup equivalent.

Have you watched it? I haven’t seen a LC Final in years, but watched this.

So boring until the goal imo. Spuds set up with 8 behind the ball from the first second, whilst Citeh did their impression of Brighton with dozens of shots into the stands or powder puff efforts trickling to Lloris.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Have you watched it? I haven’t seen a LC Final in years, but watched this.

So boring until the goal imo. Spuds set up with 8 behind the ball from the first second, whilst Citeh did their impression of Brighton with dozens of shots into the stands or powder puff efforts trickling to Lloris.

Well, Citeh go into second gear when they need to with their CL semis up in the next two weeks and their opponents are all at sea really.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Shame we didn’t get to the final because we’d have given City a better game than ESL-ready Spurs (and we wouldn’t have to have played the Blades last night):)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
NSC after a loss looks serene by comparison.

F10346DA-3BFD-454F-8F68-BAD5E33C3660.png

7D916A04-181A-47BD-839A-F73E3E0B03D5.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here