Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 12-14/1

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I love it when people completely write off teams so early on. There is far too long to go yet - lots of twists and turns to go. We've got to get some bloody wins on the board soon, though,that's for sure.

I'm not writing them off just on a whim....

"In the Premier League era, no club with fewer than eight points after 14 games have stayed up."
They had 7.
They now have 8 points after 17 games.

They don't have the quality for a miracle. Not even close.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I tend to agree. Tbh I very much doubt Fulham will go down - they are better than Newcastle, Burnley, probably better than Palace, and perhaps better than us. It looks like West Brom & Sheff Utd are down, but the 3rd place is really up for grabs. It's going to be interesting!

I like how you say they're definitely better than teams currently a healthy number of points above us, but only 'perhaps' better than us. You're as good as your points total at the end of the day. We won't finish above Palace I'm sure, I doubt Burnley either. Both know how to get wins on the board whatever the cost entertainment wise. Perhaps Newcastle the way they're looking... Hopefully so anyway...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I love it when people completely write off teams so early on. There is far too long to go yet - lots of twists and turns to go. We've got to get some bloody wins on the board soon, though,that's for sure.

There’s a cocky NSC tradition in our EPL years of confidently deeming Stains, Burnley, Newcastle and CP as hot relegation candidates, awful players apparently. Unwilling to see annoyingly good managers who keep getting EPL wins or match winning game changers with pace.

Then those “awful players” attain mid table safety with ease, season after season.

There’s a cocky NSC tradition in our EPL years of confidently deeming Stains, Burnley, Newcastle and CP as hot relegation candidates, awful players apparently. Unwilling to see annoyingly good managers who keep getting EPL wins or match winning game changers with pace.

Then those “awful players” attain mid table safety with ease, season after season.

True - and none of those teams will get sucked in this season either. Already with not half the games played, it’s a coin toss between us and a Fulham team that looks in decent form, we have not been in such danger in any of our previous Prem seasons

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
True - and none of those teams will get sucked in this season either. Already with not half the games played, it’s a coin toss between us and a Fulham team that looks in decent form, we have not been in such danger in any of our previous Prem seasons

I partly agree with you.

Dyche is an outstanding manager, operating on relative EPL buttons.

Whilst NSC’s eternal disdain for Newcastle after they took the Championship title, willing their collapse, is always spoilt by their irritating habit of ‘doing a CP’ and grabbing the spoils when outplayed.

This might change if we find a striker from within or outside who can bang in the goals.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
.... we have not been in such danger in any of our previous Prem seasons

Look, we all get you have a thinly veiled agenda but even for you that is utter horseshit.

A couple of years ago we needed Palace to beat Cardiff on the last day of the season to save our necks. Not even close to that yet. If you want to stir the shit at least try to be vaguely credible.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Look, we all get you have a thinly veiled agenda but even for you that is utter horseshit.

A couple of years ago we needed Palace to beat Cardiff on the last day of the season to save our necks. Not even close to that yet. If you want to stir the shit at least try to be vaguely credible.

Correct, you can be a Hughton fanboy (and most of us still love the guy) and still admit we were in the brown stuff under him.. and after losing to Bournemouth and Cardiff were on the verge of relegation. Even Tony Bloom said as much.

Hey Aggro Grandad you can make your point without covering your screen with spittle. Mine would be this current rejuvenated Fulham team is much better than that clapped Warnock outfit, but you can scream yours out if you want

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
2 goals so far this season, in over 1,000 minutes played. That's worse than Connolly or Welbz.. :shrug:

That’s a great comparison but Lookman isn’t a striker, he’s a left winger. So for a more accurate comparison you should be looking at Trossard who has 1 goal in 1111 minutes of football.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It isn't a coin toss between us and Fulham at all. We still have over half the season to play and both Burnley and Newcastle look every bit as vulnerable as ourselves and Fulham. Newcastle are 5 points ahead of us - not exactly insurmountable.

(I presume that ripping apart your brain dead logic makes me an "aggro grandad")

Goberpiles

Feb 25, 2017
I think Sheff utd are down but saying that 1-2 wins put the pressure on, if we don’t come out of Fulham and Leeds with 3/4/6 points we will be in big poo, and even worse if Fulham beat us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I think Sheff utd are down but saying that 1-2 wins put the pressure on, if we don’t come out of Fulham and Leeds with 3/4/6 points we will be in big poo, and even worse if Fulham beat us

Fulham will be well up for it and will 'kitchen sink' us. Hopefully, we'll not be so gentlemanly that day.

Jimmy Grimble

I partly agree with you.

Dyche is an outstanding manager, operating on relative EPL buttons.

Whilst NSC’s eternal disdain for Newcastle after they took the Championship title, willing their collapse, is always spoilt by their irritating habit of ‘doing a CP’ and grabbing the spoils when outplayed.

This might change if we find a striker from within or outside who can bang in the goals.

Why do you constantly speak of NSC in a collective sense like this?

I’ve seen barely any “eternal disdain” for Newcastle. I’ve seen some confusion and frustration as to how they fluke points, yes, but that is different to an entire websites eternal disdain.

I’d also like to see “NSC’s” relegation predictions of Southampton or others you have mentioned. I don’t recall many saying Saints. Hopeful predictions of Palace obviously, which is to to be expected.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Fulham are really impressive. Very powerful. Very quick.
Anguisa is a really dynamic midfielder and with Lemina (who is injured but due back any time soon) they are very solid in the middle, but it's the way they break that is really impressive. All their players seem to be rapid. Loftus Cheek gives them a bit of guile, Lookman is very tricky. Reid is very underrated IMHO and a decent finisher.
Anderson is a real leader at the back. Very good GK.
They're a decent team, I really can't see them going down.

Newcastle are the ones IMHO.

I was stone cold sober and have a dislike for Spuds. I liked Scott Parker as a player and think he's doing a good job as a manager.

Its no other clubs fault we're below par so far this season.

I've been touting Newcastle to go down for a few seasons. Both they and Burnley are in the mix. If Fulham can maintain their form they'll climb, but that's a big If. Newcastle could drop. but have a 5 point cushion on us at present. Still a lot to play for.

Leeds and Fulham are huge games, fail to win one and we're definitely in the drop zone at the end of the month and I don't think we've got what it takes to climb out. Like Fulham a few years ago . . . . too good to go down!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Fulham will be well up for it and will 'kitchen sink' us. Hopefully, we'll not be so gentlemanly that day.

My concern is we don't know how to play any other way. GP is not a mid 90's Albion manager, nor a battler/fighter . . .even in 96/97 we had a 28% win ratio.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. I mentioned this in another thread. The stats aren't very positive if we don't get points from both Leeds and Fulham.

Losses to both City and Leeds would leave us with 14pts at the half way stage of the season.* If we need, say, 38 points for safety we’d need to start averaging nearly 1.3 points a game over the final 19 games.* That is 24pts from 19 games.* The best we’ve ever produced over a 19-game run is 22 points.* We’ve done this twice, both times under Chris Hughton, once in 2017/18 and then again in 2018/19.* Under Graham Potter, our best 19-game total is, I believe, 21 points. *
Obviously, this hopefully won’t be the scenario and, at the end of the Fulham game we will be reflecting on the 9pts we have taken from them, Leeds and Man City.* However, *if we were to get nothing from both City and Leeds, we will likely either be in for relegation or the greatest run in our, albeit short, Premier League history.* We’d need 8 wins or something like 5 wins and 9 draws from 19 games just to reach 38 points.* That would be solid mid-table form, equating to a 48 point season and while it would be wonderful, I can’t see it happening.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think Leeds is the game where we could hand out the spanking we have talked about for ages, but it could just as easily be the game that we get our biggest spanking of the season. If we weren’t in such a precarious situation this would be one of my most anticipated games this season

I also hope that White has his best game of the season and not an absolute stinker if he plays. Could this be the game he gets rested in?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here