Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prem bound

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I honestly don't think there is another team as good as us and Newcastle. We have back up and competition in every position and quality players like Kayal, Rosenior, March, Lua Lua all to come back from injury.

This is going to be our season - i genuinely feel we are on our way to the Prem!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This season we have strength in depth. Last season we couldn't win if Kayal didn't play, but we are winning without him, now.

There's a long way to go, but enjoy the football whilst we try.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7644395 said:
I think Villa are a bigger threat than Norwich, they have some great players and Bruce knows how to get out of this division. I'll feel a lot more confident if we can get a positive result against them.

Possibly, but to get auto promo means they would need to win probably 22+ games out of 32. PO certainly, auto promo only outside possibility from here (and yes,I do remember Reading 11/12 but that season was competitive for several top teams in a way that this season is unlikely to be).

still early but I can't help thinking defence is the key and we have what Boro and Burnley had last season. Add to that what we have in front of them and it is a great recipe!

Yep now looking a masterstroke getting in Duffy - which was a fine call by Hughton given the good Goldson half-season.

I see it as similar to last season - 3 way for the 2 places given that Derby and Villa have blown it.

Norwich will roar back and even they never play that terrible keeper again their defence does look out of sorts and their defensive midfield shield Tettey looked shaky.

What will be vital will be keeping our 3 irreplaceable players Kayal Murray Knocky on the pitch - we seem to be adapting OK without Kayal but can now ill afford to lose the other two.

New quick goal getting striker in the Baldock role still needed in the window. Possibly Sidwell can replace Stephens if he goes.

Newcastle probably too strong but epic dogfight between us and Norwich - with important psychological blow struck today (tho 4pt lead is just a neck ahead)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yep now looking a masterstroke getting in Duffy - which was a fine call by Hughton given the good Goldson half-season.

I see it as similar to last season - 3 way for the 2 places given that Derby and Villa have blown it.

Norwich will roar back and even they never play that terrible keeper again their defence does look out of sorts and their defensive midfield shield Tettey looked shaky.

What will be vital will be keeping our 3 irreplaceable players Kayal Murray Knocky on the pitch - we seem to be adapting OK without Kayal but can now ill afford to lose the other two.

New quick goal getting striker in the Baldock role still needed in the window. Possibly Sidwell can replace Stephens if he goes.

Newcastle probably too strong but epic dogfight between us and Norwich - with important psychological blow struck today (tho 4pt lead is just a neck ahead)
I wish that Newcastle match was next week now! When we played them, we were still a bit unsettled (Duffy new to the team) and didn't have our best day - and we went to Newcastle just when they were getting into their stride. Not complaining - that's football, and 'ifs' don't count.

But just at the moment, I'd love to be about to face the geordies again.

Having said that, Brizzle City away ain't going to be easy,

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
After the heartache of last season take nothing for granted in this division

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
What's the value of having a squad who have largely played together for the bulk of last season?

Murray and Duffy added but the rest got us bloody close last season. Does this shared experience and common disappointment forge strength? Does it have a value now? Is that what we saw yesterday and at Wigan (which I am sure last season would have been a draw).

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
After the heartache of last season take nothing for granted in this division

Yes. Obviously hope. Apart from that, I'm trying not to think about it too much. Having been through so many highs and lows over the years, that's what I'm doing, but definitely not good to be too over confident. Sounds like CH, perhaps.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
What's the value of having a squad who have largely played together for the bulk of last season?

Murray and Duffy added but the rest got us bloody close last season. Does this shared experience and common disappointment forge strength? Does it have a value now? Is that what we saw yesterday and at Wigan (which I am sure last season would have been a draw).

Completely agree, although they did pretty well last season with quite a few changes too.

We did very well this summer. Hughton and the recruitment team knew what they needed to do. We obviously needed a new striker (ideally two, the one missed target this summer) and Murray has made a massive difference. We needed more options in midfield and Norwood and Sidwell have provided that. Another full back option in Pocognoli provides depth and has led to an upturn in Bong's form. Finally, we needed another centre back once Greer was released but I'm not sure anyone thought we would break our transfer record on one. Duffy gets better by the game. Goldson was great but Duffy is so dominant.

Everything is pointing to a very good season but we need to keep our heads and not get carried away. There will be bad games where we lose and we shouldn't get too annoyed then. It happens to everyone. I thought at the start of the season it would be hard to compete with Newcastle, Norwich and Villa (although that depended largely on Di Matteo). Villa are already a long way adrift and Norwich are struggling defensively so we have a real chance but it's still only a third of the way through the season and we can't get carried away.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
I look at the teams currently in the top 6 also include Leeds and villa in that and I don't see any of them except villa giving us a game I am not nervous of a 1-0 lead just accept it an an inevitable result and that's it. I just don't see anyone getting above us or Newcastle

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Jan transfers could be interesting. Those former Prem clubs will be able to throw big cash at marquee signings - at that point we'll see the value of a squad who know what they are about.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I look at the teams currently in the top 6 also include Leeds and villa in that and I don't see any of them except villa giving us a game I am not nervous of a 1-0 lead just accept it an an inevitable result and that's it. I just don't see anyone getting above us or Newcastle

This is just the sort of thread that opposition fans will come back to and show as Brighton being arrogant. You cannot make statements like that in the Championship. It is a massively competitive league and if we drop our performance at any point, we will have a poor run (as we did due to injuries last season).

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
All you can say at this stage is that we're where we wanted to be at this stage, we're playing good football most of the time and still picking up points when we aren't.

Premier League bound? Maybe. Maybe not. I'm just enjoying the ride.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
This is just the sort of thread that opposition fans will come back to and show as Brighton being arrogant. You cannot make statements like that in the Championship. It is a massively competitive league and if we drop our performance at any point, we will have a poor run (as we did due to injuries last season).

I'm entitled to my opinion and I don't really care if oppo fans come and call me arrogant I will stand by my words

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Completely agree, although they did pretty well last season with quite a few changes too.

We did very well this summer. Hughton and the recruitment team knew what they needed to do. We obviously needed a new striker (ideally two, the one missed target this summer) and Murray has made a massive difference. We needed more options in midfield and Norwood and Sidwell have provided that. Another full back option in Pocognoli provides depth and has led to an upturn in Bong's form. Finally, we needed another centre back once Greer was released but I'm not sure anyone thought we would break our transfer record on one. Duffy gets better by the game. Goldson was great but Duffy is so dominant.

Everything is pointing to a very good season but we need to keep our heads and not get carried away. There will be bad games where we lose and we shouldn't get too annoyed then. It happens to everyone. I thought at the start of the season it would be hard to compete with Newcastle, Norwich and Villa (although that depended largely on Di Matteo). Villa are already a long way adrift and Norwich are struggling defensively so we have a real chance but it's still only a third of the way through the season and we can't get carried away.

Superb recruitment in the summer, we obviously missed out on the extra striker that we wanted.

If we can find one or two in January then we may finally get promoted

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Whilst we are looking very healthy at the moment there are far too many chickens being counted on this and other threads. We are one injury to Murray away from being very short of attackers. A few years back Derby were absolutely steam rolling the league and totally blew it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here