Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Predictions for attendance on Tuesday?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Tuesday's match has all the ingredients that long serving Albion supporters know only too well. Team form inconsistent; cannot win; manager under pressure; fans moaning; rotten weather. What's not to like? Plus an ex Albion Hero returns. I'll be there but quite understand others saying "No thanks".

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
These people who claim to have stood in the night rain at the Priestfield when the team was struggling in the bottom division yet apparently won't be going now. Strange how we're getting over 20k now but struggled to get 2k then. It reminds me a bit of people who said they saw the Sex Pistols first gig.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Agreed. Otherwise why not be a plastic and follow Chelsea etc.

To be fair, even in the seasons in the past 10-15 years or so, when Chelsea weren't winning trophies their plastic fans still sold out Stamford Bridge pretty much every game.

Personally I think the poor performances, and the cost (highest in the division), are what is turning people away, sadly we don't have enough plastic fans to make up the shortfall.

That is where (I think) the board have screwed it up, all was fine with Gus, and Oscar, we were growing the fanbase, were were on a crest of the wave, so they saw the chance to get more money in, hire a no name manager on the cheap, sell off the crown jewels and replace with trinkets picked up in flea markets. It's backfired spectacularly, some fans have decided enough is enough, they don't like what they're seeing, or can't afford/justify the cost, so they've walked away.

This is where the club may have got it wrong, where they have either been naive, greedy or incompetent, there are no new fans to replace them, the ST waiting list has dried up. The big numbers we had last season may well be our threshold at this level, and without on pitch success, they aren't coming back. I don't think they can carry on charging what they are charging, and expect to fill the ground. Things will probably be different if we make it to the Premier League, but for now we need to be Championship Ready (we don't appear to be at the moment), provide good quality Championship football (we don't at the moment), and charge Championship prices (guffaw).

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Sorry but what a load of bollocks.

Just so you are aware-I only missed games Gillingham and Withdean due to being ill or on holiday. The same at The Amex. Hardly 'plastic'.

Sometimes it is easier to stay away rather than go to a game and usually the deciding factor is whether the 5 or 6 hours involved is worth the effort when half the team can't be bothered to make an effort. If that makes me a 'plastic', so be it but following The Albion since the mid 50s is hardly plastic in my eyes.
There is no way the comment i made was aimed at anyone like you. Nor at the chap who has been for 22 years. Most of us have periods in our lives when we can't make the game. For years i lived up north and so went to the away games i could manage only getting to watch us at home on the odd occasion. Then when i moved back down south i couldn't afford to go because of my job situation. Fortunately i an now in the position to afford a season ticket. That may change. My post was aimed at the casual fan who ONLY goes to watch when we are doing well. I do not feel superior to those that watch differently, that's their choice.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
To be fair, even in the seasons in the past 10-15 years or so, when Chelsea weren't winning trophies their plastic fans still sold out Stamford Bridge pretty much every game.

Personally I think the poor performances, and the cost (highest in the division), are what is turning people away, sadly we don't have enough plastic fans to make up the shortfall.

That is where (I think) the board have screwed it up, all was fine with Gus, and Oscar, we were growing the fanbase, were were on a crest of the wave, so they saw the chance to get more money in, hire a no name manager on the cheap, sell off the crown jewels and replace with trinkets picked up in flea markets. It's backfired spectacularly, some fans have decided enough is enough, they don't like what they're seeing, or can't afford/justify the cost, so they've walked away.

This is where the club may have got it wrong, where they have either been naive, greedy or incompetent, there are no new fans to replace them, the ST waiting list has dried up. The big numbers we had last season may well be our threshold at this level, and without on pitch success, they aren't coming back. I don't think they can carry on charging what they are charging, and expect to fill the ground. Things will probably be different if we make it to the Premier League, but for now we need to be Championship Ready (we don't appear to be at the moment), provide good quality Championship football (we don't at the moment), and charge Championship prices (guffaw).
True regarding Chelsea's support. However if we won a premier league title etc, i think we'd sell out the amex each season we were still in the top division.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure there is much need for 'best fan' arguments.......maybe relegation dogfight stress is creeping in........
Anyway, I am going with junior. Officially about 22500, actually about 17,500 I'd guess.
Maybe our 15 game winning streak starts here. I want to be there when it does.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
These people who claim to have stood in the night rain at the Priestfield when the team was struggling in the bottom division yet apparently won't be going now. Strange how we're getting over 20k now but struggled to get 2k then.

I actually had a season ticket at Priestfield and we didn't stand in the rain unless you were under the leak in the roof at The Rainham end.Did you go to Priestfield? I'm guessing you didn't or you'd have known that. You're right though, there are many who claim to have been there but it's almost as if I know most who were regulars there because it was the same faces every home game and there were so few of us. Your point being what exactly?

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I actually had a season ticket at Priestfield and we didn't stand in the rain unless you were under the leak in the roof at The Rainham end.Did you go to Priestfield? I'm guessing you didn't or you'd have known that. You're right though, there are many who claim to have been there but it's almost as if I know most who were regulars there because it was the same faces every home game and there were so few of us. Your point being what exactly?
I think the point is fairly obvious lad.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

This with bells on. Whether it's being naive or arrogant we just got it spectacularly wrong in the summer in my humble opinion. I know it's wrong to stereotype but I'm going to anyway. In general I see 4 "types" at the Amex. "The die hards" - most will go away, all will go to every home game they can make. Often in the same groups with many now bringing their kids to the game to give them the bug too, or kids themselves who grew up on Withdean afternoons. Can be counted on to go no matter what. "The returners" - people who went to the Goldstone a fair bit and away for big games or good days out but who couldn't stand the depressing surrounds of Gillingham and Withdean. Can be counted to go to the big games at the Amex (of which there aren't many since we lost Pompey, Stains and Palarse) and go regularly when we are doing well. "The new breed" - DFLers and Sussex Rugby Club members, people with too much money who bought an ST and probably one of those seat licence things (whatever happened to them?) but only so they had a seat when we got in the Premier League. Not turning up currently and not likely to renew next season at the moment. Likely to barge you our of the way at London Bridge to claim the last table seat on the train home. "The exiles" - people who love the club but live a fair way away (like Bwian on this thread). Probably need to justify the journey to themselves each time and who can blame them?

There is a significant portion of the above who simply won't hang around if the product isn't good enough and I think the summer gambles haven't factored this in to account enough.

Tuesday? 23k announced, 18k bums on seats max.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Wierdly looking forward to this. Fancy several pints in town prior as well.
Actually think we'll win, although I don't know why.
Come on Brighton!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'll be there. I think we probably have peaked in terms of attendance at the moment, I will be pleased any time we get more than 25,000. Couldn't really care how many are there tuesday, just hope the team can take some positives from saturdays game and push on for the win.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I'll be there. I think we probably have peaked in terms of attendance at the moment, I will be pleased any time we get more than 25,000. Couldn't really care how many are there tuesday, just hope the team can take some positives from saturdays game and push on for the win.
You get a bit of bad luck and get over punished for a wrong call then confidence drops and a few jitters come into play. Somehow they just need to dig in and enjoy themselves and not worry about the trap door.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Wierdly looking forward to this. Fancy several pints in town prior as well.
Actually think we'll win, although I don't know why.
Come on Brighton!

Law of averages really. Have to win at some point. Back to back home wins? No chance.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
All this true fan bollocks so annoys me. I've been going to every Brighton game for 22 years but it doesn't make me any more of a fan than someone listening from home. Just means I've got a lot of free time on my hands. Football is the only sport you get people thinking just because you watch a team when they lose you are some sort of icon. Grow up people!

Disagree, the Albion would've long since gone out of existence without these people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here