Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Predicting future signings

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Youngster Lepenant has now moved into number one position as the most comparable player to Caicedo.

Can’t see it happening - Lyon have a reputation for developing and selling for high fees. We would have bought him when he was with Caen if we were (they have an excellent youth academy).

I’ll be very happy if I was proved wrong.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Can’t see it happening - Lyon have a reputation for developing and selling for high fees. We would have bought him when he was with Caen if we were (they have an excellent youth academy).

Agreed. BUT, if we get in the CL all bets will be off...(and he's just the sort of signing you'd see as the next step up).

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

true but lyon are 10th so wouldn’t be in the strongest position, and they have just joined john textor’s multi-club empire, which includes that lot up the road i believe, so they could need to sell in order to pay for that new stand

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
true but lyon are 10th so wouldn’t be in the strongest position, and they have just joined john textor’s multi-club empire, which includes that lot up the road i believe, so they could need to sell in order to pay for that new stand

That's true but whilst the Spanish league was mentioned about not having a pot to piss in, the French league is even worse. They had a huge TV deal effectively pulled after 4 months in and clubs have huge debts. Bordeaux were relegated to the 3rd division and Lille for example have a debt of around €125m. The original TV deal was around €1bn a year and Amazon picked up the pieces at €215m a year. It'll only be a matter of time when the football empire realises that Lyon isn't profitable.

A book on the state of French football:

The state of French football is supposedly the reason why the Qataris are looking at buying Man United.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
We haven't shopped that much in the top 5 leagues for a reason - it's harder to find value.

Most players have come from smaller leagues (particularly the Dutch and Belgian leagues), finished contracts at top clubs, or came from top club academies. Also we have been known to look in the second tier of the top European leagues (e.g. Núñez, Gross).

In terms of regular first team starters from these top leagues bought since establishing ourselves in the top flight:
- Estupiñán - sold cheap for Villarreal to comply with FFP
- Cucurella - bought at Getafe's release clause

In the first couple of seasons (under Hughton) we bought Bissouma from Lille, Montoya from Valencia, Bernardo from Leipzig and Ryan from Valencia. These feel like a long time ago now and were (with the exception of Bissouma) really signings to consolidate and achieve survival.

Basically, it all depends where the value is. Maybe if the French and Spanish leagues are that desparate for money, the value is there now where it wasnt before.

seagull_si

Jul 8, 2011
Peacehaven
Think we’ll need:

Left Centre Back: If we don’t want to pay for Matviyenko, we should grab David Hancko from Feyenoord. Perfect modern day defender, can cover left back too and wouldn’t cost the earth. If we want someone a bit younger, then get Konstantinos Koulierakis. Mentioned him on another thread, and we’ve been rumoured to have scouted him, he doesn’t really play left back but will be a rolls royce of a centre back.

(Possibly?)A new RB. Lamptey might well be off, we should ask spurs about Djed Spence

CM:
I think that Johnny Cardoso rumour has us written all over it. Yes please. He can be our new ‘6’

Would also love us to get Davide Frattesi. We’ve been tentatively linked in the Italian media, I feel he is someone RDZ would really like to have and this signing would keep him happy, and he is and excellent player.

CAM:
Would like a new 10 player, but ideally someone who can play anywhere. That would be Xavi Simons, for me. Would be pricey as PSV wouldn’t want to sell, but I think he would be an incredibly good buy, and can play as a 10, right wing left wing, anywhere across the front.

FW:
Can definitely see us going back for Valentin Castellanos, who we were linked with in January. He’d offer something different to Ferguson and Welbeck, and he’s proved himself in a top 5 league after scoring bucketloads in America.
edit. see below, wrong link attached.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Constantly linked. Makes so much sense, especially if RDZ is getting a little more input (suspect he might on first team ready players). Yes please.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Phwoar 30m on the Watford player, 30m on the Bristol City player, 40m on Frattesi.

If all of these rumours are right we are going to have to sell a big player to balance the books

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Roberto, we are going to sell your two central midfielders for £150 million this summer.

Fine Paul but can you sign Fratessi? He's an elite player that I know inside out, knows my formations, my way of working and will cost £35 million.

We can do that. We are also going to sign loads of young players you might never have heard of, but we can definitely do that.

It's a no brainer and even Naylor has said we are interested in the past. Even if we also signed another 5 players we'd have change from the Moises/Mac money.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
The money for the stand was ring fenced though wasn't it? :unsure:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Phwoar 30m on the Watford player, 30m on the Bristol City player, 40m on Frattesi.

If all of these rumours are right we are going to have to sell a big player to balance the books
Can't think of anyone who would cover all that spend.

Oh... :lolol:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Roberto, we are going to sell your two central midfielders for £150 million this summer.

Fine Paul but can you sign Fratessi? He's an elite player that I know inside out, knows my formations, my way of working and will cost £35 million.

We can do that. We are also going to sign loads of young players you might never have heard of, but we can definitely do that.

It's a no brainer and even Naylor has said we are interested in the past. Even if we also signed another 5 players we'd have change from the Moises/Mac money.
Naylor mentioning Frattesi in The Athletic on 12th May.

"If Mac Allister and/or Caicedo sales materialise, funds would be available to buy at least one more midfielder. Targets include Italian international Davide Frattesi from De Zerbi’s former club Sassuolo."

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Nicolás Domínguez Bologna midfielder linked at supposedly €20m. Not entirely convinced tbh.- seems like the least impressive of those we have been linked with..

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Ooops!

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Nicolás Domínguez Bologna midfielder linked at supposedly €20m. Not entirely convinced tbh.- seems like the least impressive of those we have been linked with..
Never heard of him so I’m guessing it’s a goer

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
His stats graph is almost a 100% mirror of Ali Macs - he’s a ready made replacement.

Federico Redondo is one I’ll like us to go after as a replacement for Caidedo. He’s been very good at the u20 World Cup - across between Busquets and Rodri.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here