Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pre season USA tournament ?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
We seem pretty popular in the states. I always get hollered at in LA or Miami wearing a Brighton top.

Good to boost the brand further but hopefully won't put too much focus on this tournament as it's completely meaningless from a football perspective.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Snippet for those already searching for flights on Expedia...

The details are yet to be finalised but it is anticipated the event will occur in late July. It would potentially see around six Premier League clubs divided across two groups, each playing two round-robin friendlies in multiple cities on the east and west coasts of the US.​
At present, 14 of the Premier League’s current 20 sides appear keen to participate. The intentions of the so-called “Big Six” are less clear, but there is optimism that at least one of them would decide to join the project.​

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
I think it's inevitable that there will be a 'regular season' match for each of the Premier league clubs in a 'foreign market' before too much longer...similar to the NFL's International Series...

Big bucks to be earned filling up those massive stadiums flimping the loyal Asian/American fans...

Wonder if STH's here would get a refund or tough titty your seat is available ( in the Las Vegas Allegiant Stadium)

Yuk

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
We seem pretty popular in the states. I always get hollered at in LA or Miami wearing a Brighton top.

Good to boost the brand further but hopefully won't put too much focus on this tournament as it's completely meaningless from a football perspective.
Same here - last time in Orlando kept on getting "Seagulls!" yelled, and was in New York City end of August/start of September and was wearing the hyperturq away top and kept on getting the same, along with a guy manning an info point near Wall St/Battery Park who was thrilled as it was "the first time I've seen that top in the flesh!!". Seemingly he was an avid "jersey" collector with a particular fondness for BHA tops.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, we've got to play pre-season semi-friendlies somewhere - the USA seems as good as anywhere. Would rather it was against MLS teams than against teams we'll be playing later in the real football competition.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Well, we've got to play pre-season semi-friendlies somewhere - the USA seems as good as anywhere. Would rather it was against MLS teams than against teams we'll be playing later in the real football competition.
It would be mid season for the MLS sides don’t think they would want to start playing friendlies.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Wonder what the Super League clubs make of the other 14 signing up to a Mini PL tournament in the States...

Anyway, Brighton v Southampton in Philadelphia it is

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Personally I think football teams should set an example by NOT playing any pre-season overseas tournaments. I wonder when organisations and individuals will actually start to step back from unnecessary carbon emissions?
Yep, I'm not perfect either, and Drax emits far more, and concrete production, coal fired power stations...I know I know. I just think that organisations should care more about their great great grand children. Avoiding these tournaments might send a message that encourages other positive actions.
Set an example, Brighton, don't do it.
Probably just a silly emotional reaction from me after watching 'Frozen' Planet 2 yesterday evening.
I shall now duck under the desk...

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Wont include any Big 6 clubs. They will go somewhere alone or with one smaller club, where they can sell their own shirts and encourage locals to join their supporters clubs for money

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here