Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pre match handshake

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
I for one couldn't care if they shake hands or not before the game, but would love the team to come running out to GOSBTS, like the goldstone, gets the atmosphere going straight from the off, can the club choose to have the handshake before kick off? Or is it an FA rule?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
FA rule - right down to kids football as well if in an FA sanctioned league

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
It's the usual rubbish from the FA, it was always the away team came out to a noise of boos followed by the home team with the crowd getting behind them. It built the game up and got the crowd going, who wants to shake the hand of someone who is about to kick you or worse, it's rubbish.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As it is an FA Rule why isn't Ferdinand fined for not complying to it ?

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
If there has to be a handshake it should be after the game not before.

You can't manufacture respect. A handshake really is a meaningless gesture. More needs to be done. I'm a firm believer that the only way to create respect is for their to be a consequence for disrespect. Our problem is that the game has fallen so far into the gutter that it's almost impossible to fix.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I wonder how long this handshake rubbish between Terry, Ferdinand and Cole is going to rumble on. I, for one, really couldn't care less.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But this 'news' story does signal the Summer is over.

This is the part of soccerball that I find so depressing.

It's not headline news, it's not news, it's not worthy of a radio phone in debate (5 live), it's not the whole story in the lead up to the game.

And now it's all 'over' it'll start up again for the return match.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Did notice after the game that Mark Hughes had a "Fergie" moment with his comment when asked about the handshake..." Did he not shake hands...I did'n't see that. Called selective viewing...but he'd notice a nudge on one of his players the other side of the pitch.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Football needs to grow up. Adults won't shake hands? FFS! Get over it, man up and get on with the actual point of being there.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Did notice after the game that Mark Hughes had a "Fergie" moment with his comment when asked about the handshake..." Did he not shake hands...I did'n't see that. Called selective viewing...but he'd notice a nudge on one of his players the other side of the pitch.

Funnily enough, your mention of Mark Hughes brought to mind managers " handshakes " after the final whistle, not sure if this is meant to happen but quite often it looks like a meeting between two lepers. I'm pretty sure Hughes follows old Bluenoses habit of offering a hearty handshake to the manager of any team that has rolled over for Manchester United plc but a scowl and minimal contact if the result is wrong .

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
But this 'news' story does signal the Summer is over.

This is the part of soccerball that I find so depressing.

It's not headline news, it's not news, it's not worthy of a radio phone in debate (5 live), it's not the whole story in the lead up to the game.

And now it's all 'over' it'll start up again for the return match.

This the whole handshake idea is a joke and does nothing for respect, as for individual incidents who care?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Next Shake Controversy up is Liverpool's Suarez v Evra of Man U, could be spicy if Rio sides with Evra and refuses to shake too in support of his buddy.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There was a quality post-match handshake between Richie Barker (Crawley) & Graham Westley (Preston) yesterday.

Westley had the right hump, and tried to start on Barker, it was hilarious.

You can take Steve Evans out of Crawley, but some of his legacy remains, clearly :)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There was a quality post-match handshake between Richie Barker (Crawley) & Graham Westley (Preston) yesterday.

Westley had the right hump, and tried to start on Barker, it was hilarious.

You can take Steve Evans out of Crawley, but some of his legacy remains, clearly :)

Yes that was quite amusing to say the least, must be something about Crawley

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
If there has to be a handshake it should be after the game not before.

You can't manufacture respect. A handshake really is a meaningless gesture. More needs to be done. I'm a firm believer that the only way to create respect is for their to be a consequence for disrespect. Our problem is that the game has fallen so far into the gutter that it's almost impossible to fix.

Absoluteliy. Before,it's fake, after it shows some respect, and gives closure to the game

dcr21

Feb 28, 2009
HOVE ACTUALLY
I wonder how long this handshake rubbish between Terry, Ferdinand and Cole is going to rumble on. I, for one, really couldn't care less.

What was unnecessary was the shove Ferdinand gave the mascot so he could get past Terry. Poor kid.

And if you look closely David Luiz withdraws his hand from Ferdinand, so it all got very silly.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
It doesn't add anything to the game. It's phoney respect and all it does it create debate over something trivial. Stick to shaking hands after the game if the respective player so wishes.

At the end of the day, the field of play is the players place of work. Do you or I shake hands with our co workers everyday? Even less so if it's someone you don't like!

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Just let the teams come on separately like they used to , captains shake hands , then get into the action.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here