Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PR Catastrophe for the Royal Family

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Here we go again , another anti royal family thread . It was about time we had another one ! :facepalm: MP's telling her advisors how to run the royal establishment :lolol: after they f--cked up the economy over the last few years !The Telegraph have to make a story so make it sound worse than it actually is , like 16% savings in real terms and has she not had her budget cut by 60% from a few years ago ? The increase from income is from 6.7m in 2007/8 to 11.6m now so they are bringing in more revenue . I know everyone has to make savings except the MP's it seems and big corporate companies , getting a bit like America , God help us .

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
How much land does the French Royal family own now?

They are in their position because of the benvolence of the British people. Nothing more, nothing less. A quick revolution and they own nothing.

The same argument could be made about private possessions owned by anyone.

Have a revolution akin to the one in Russia at the beginning of the last century and nobody would own their own houses, farms nor companies.

So do we only own anything as individuals due to the 'benevolence of the British people'? ???

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Here we go again , another anti royal family thread . It was about time we had another one ! :facepalm: MP's telling her advisors how to run the royal establishment :lolol: after they f--cked up the economy over the last few years !The Telegraph have to make a story so make it sound worse than it actually is , like 16% savings in real terms and has she not had her budget cut by 60% from a few years ago ? The increase from income is from 6.7m in 2007/8 to 11.6m now so they are bringing in more revenue . I know everyone has to make savings except the MP's it seems and big corporate companies , getting a bit like America , God help us .

The Telegraph is a Royalist paper isn't it? I purposely didn't pick the Guardian for fear of someone playing the bias card.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
They may be rich and have a pampered life but I could not think of anything worse than having 300 engagements a year to see a load of people you do not give a toss about and having to be on your best behaviour at all times without so much as a dropped fart. The Queen is a Trooper !

As everywhere she goes (outside of her palaces) smells of fresh paint I doubt anyone would notice.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There are 43 other countries to take into consideration when deciding whether to get rid of the Royal Family. As head of the Commonwealth, which is unique in the world, she is also head of state to a fair proportion.
OK, I've considered them. "We don't want an unelected fossil as a head of state any more, as she is unaccountable and expensive. You can keep her as your head of state if you like?"

Job done.

I wonder how the tax payer subsidises the Houses of Parliament, with the free bars, subsidised food and heating bills?
Let's have total anarchy and get rid of the politicians instead.
It's all publicly available knowledge. And meanwhile, feel free not to vote for the MPs that are taking the pìss.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
There are 43 other countries to take into consideration when deciding whether to get rid of the Royal Family. As head of the Commonwealth, which is unique in the world, she is also head of state to a fair proportion.

Are you actually for real? They wouldn't give a toss, I guarantee you. Most countries in the Commonwealth see it for the ridiculous, antiquated charade that it is. And to make the suggestion that the Commonwealth has some sort of influence on global affairs is utterly laughable.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Yes and if I overshot my household budget and couldn't pay my rent/ mortgage, what happens to my house?

Something that would probably be very likely if you were paying 85% tax!

Having said that it's not a matter of paying rent nor a mortgage but a question about the cost of maintaining the properties they own - a normal person who owned a large number of properties and was having such problems would likely sell one or two - maybe the Queen should sell Windsor Castle to a rich Sheik - I can imagine that being very popular!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And meanwhile, feel free not to vote for the MPs that are taking the pìss.

I can only vote for the perspective MPs in my area - if none of them are the one's taking the piss how do I get rid of the ones taking the piss ?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
They may be rich and have a pampered life but I could not think of anything worse than having 300 engagements a year to see a load of people you do not give a toss about and having to be on your best behaviour at all times without so much as a dropped fart. The Queen is a Trooper !

And every one of them will have the smell of fresh paint as the overriding memory...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Are you actually for real? They wouldn't give a toss, I guarantee you. Most countries in the Commonwealth see it for the ridiculous, antiquated charade that it is. And to make the suggestion that the Commonwealth has some sort of influence on global affairs is utterly laughable.

We have been very grateful for the Commonwealth over the years. It may be a ridiculous antiquated charade to some but it is very strong bond between countries that would normally have nothing in common.

This subject will never bring agreement between myself and other posters so for that reason, I'm out.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Jesus! I can't work out if most of you lot are ill informed, ignorant or just plain contrary. You can't have a "bit" of revolution it would turn over everything.
Just stand outside Buck Palace and watch the tourists(mostly foreign) fall over themselves to pay for a bit of Royal Story.
Also take a look at the Republic of America and the corruption in its top tiers.
I'll die for my Queen and Country over a Tony Blair style President anyday.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Something that would probably be very likely if you were paying 85% tax!

Having said that it's not a matter of paying rent nor a mortgage but a question about the cost of maintaining the properties they own - a normal person who owned a large number of properties and was having such problems would likely sell one or two - maybe the Queen should sell Windsor Castle to a rich Sheik - I can imagine that being very popular!

Why not? Windsor Castle would wipe it's feet as a tourist attraction, easily. Since 1979 we've privatised every other sodding thing, most of which actually had some relevance to the day to day lives of ordinary Britains, why not the Royal Family and their assets?

The more I think about this debate the more I see parallels with religion. The believers are blinded by convention to something anyone with any sort of questioning or critical mind moved away from donkey's years ago.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Jesus! I can't work out if most of you lot are ill informed, ignorant or just plain contrary. You can't have a "bit" of revolution it would turn over everything.
Just stand outside Buck Palace and watch the tourists(mostly foreign) fall over themselves to pay for a bit of Royal Story.
Also take a look at the Republic of America and the corruption in its top tiers.
I'll die for my Queen and Country over a Tony Blair style President anyday.

Your problem being that Buckingham Palace still exists with or without the British Royal family.

The Palace of Versailles is one of the biggest tourist attractions in France. How long ago did they last have a royal family?

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I work 250 odd days a year, pay for my own lunch, travel budget airlines on my own dollar and don't have a bunch of obsequious lackies seeing to my every need morning, noon and night. Where's my multi million pound budget?

Hahahahhah! You have over 100 days of the year off? I think you're the last one to complain about peoples working lives pal.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
2) 'Well, if you don't believe in the Monarchy, why don't you go and live in North Korea?' :mad:

And yet it's an Anti-Royalist that has brought up North Korea ???

Yes and if I overshot my household budget and couldn't pay my rent/ mortgage, what happens to my house?

Not sure what your point is ? The article makes clear that the Queen has used most her savings in the upkeep of the properties.

Yet none of them bar The Gambia have left recently - why would that be if it was such a bad club to belong to ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Is this just another news leak to soften up the public for the abdication announcement ?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
We have been very grateful for the Commonwealth over the years. It may be a ridiculous antiquated charade to some but it is very strong bond between countries that would normally have nothing in common.

This subject will never bring agreement between myself and other posters so for that reason, I'm out.

But that bond doesn't suddenly disappear becasue we cease to have a royal family does it? If it does it doesn't say much for this strong bond that you speak of.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
And yet it's an Anti-Royalist that has brought up North Korea ???

Not sure what your point is ? The article makes clear that the Queen has used most her savings in the upkeep of the properties.

Yet none of them bar The Gambia have left recently - why would that be if it was such a bad club to belong to ?

1. To illustrate that having no say on your head of state is potentially a little dangerous and to trust it to luck is a slightly bizarre (though utterly endearing, if I'm honest) thought.

2. What happens when her savings run out next year then?

3. Because it doesn't really matter to them, it's a bit of window dressing. They aren't fussed either way. It's not a bad club, just a irrelavent one that doesn't need a royal family to keep it going if the desire to keep it going is really there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here