Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] PPV scrapped

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'd rather have some form of discretionary PPV for games not selected for broadcast than not be able to watch it at all - interesting to see what the alternative solution is going to be (ie whether all games are shown free).

Jul 7, 2003
With respect, you've got WAY more money than sense then, particularly during lockdown :shrug:

If we were able to go to matches, it would cost more than £14.95 for a ticket, travel, etc. Many people go to matches home and away so don't want to miss a match. On that basis £14.95 is okay (albeit obviously people would prefer to pay less) - especially as we have our season ticket refunds.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
According to the right-wing Guardian:

It is understood the league is most likely to revert to the model which was in place at the start of the current season, where all matches were screened by one of the competition’s broadcast partners. Further discussions must still take place with these partners before plans can be confirmed, and a pay-per-view structure is therefore not completely off the table.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
With respect, you've got WAY more money than sense then, particularly during lockdown :shrug:

With respect, why can't Mr (Ms) Pies spend £15 of his (her) money watching his (her) team play, when there's bugger all else to be spending it on? Especially during lockdown?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'd rather have some form of discretionary PPV for games not selected for broadcast than not be able to watch it at all - interesting to see what the alternative solution is going to be (ie whether all games are shown free).

I wouldn't be surprised if some additional costs were added for the additional games, if they are expected to increase payments to the PL for the extra games.

Sky Premier League Extra Channel maybe? for an additional tenner a month?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As per The Athletic, this weekend's round of PPV games will be the last:

[tweet]1324368615949410304[/tweet]

Common sense wins, I guess. Can only imagine that appalling uptake of the PPV matches is what's driving this.

Would be interesting to know what the actual take up was. Didn't EP report that about 140,000 bought the Arsenal/Leicester game.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It was a bonkers decision to do it, by people far removed from fans.

I wouldn't be surprised if even in rectifying this they still balls it up, by not fully reverting to what we had before.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
According to the right-wing Guardian:

It is understood the league is most likely to revert to the model which was in place at the start of the current season, where all matches were screened by one of the competition’s broadcast partners. Further discussions must still take place with these partners before plans can be confirmed, and a pay-per-view structure is therefore not completely off the table.

Suspect therefore some will be free-to-air (BBC, Freeview etc) and some available to existing subscribers to various platforms (BT/Sky/Amazon Prime). Shame we'll still get stung (if we chose) for Burnley tomorrow :shrug:

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
It will be interesting to see what happens with the extra games.

As a non-subscriber, I was looking at paying to watch Albion games regardless.
Paying for NowTV passes and BT subscription, won't be much cheaper than PPV for me.

If Sky/BT Amazon are to get all the games again, then they will surely be seeing a significant increase in advertising/Subscriptions and NOwTV revenue.
I would hope that this goes back to the clubs in some way, although I can see it just lining Sky's pockets further to be honest.
I pay £10 per month to stream BT via NowTV (as an ee customer) and £22 a month for Now TV Sports package. That's every game going bar the 4 matchdays Amazon have.

Much better value than paying £45 on the last 3 Albion games and nothing else, no?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I pay £10 per month to stream BT via NowTV (as an ee customer) and £22 a month for Now TV Sports package. That's every game going bar the 4 matchdays Amazon have.

Much better value than paying £45 on the last 3 Albion games and nothing else, no?

Yeah it's better value, particularly if you can get BT at a cheap rate.

I don't particularly want to watch every game though.
I only really want to watch Albion games.
There is of course a risk that Sky BT will hike the price for the extra games, but hopefully that will get seen off.

The cost is likely to be similar - I'll just be given the opportunity to waste more time watching football than I really should.

Hopefully

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
If this is true (and I hope it is) it will be interesting to see how Mr Barber spins this as the new stance from the Premier League is a 180 degree turn around from Barber's stated position during the fans online Q and A.

Will he admit he got it completely wrong and he should have stood with Leicester City at the time?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pretty sure the Albion Burnley fixture will have them changing their mind.

Yep that one is a nailed on dodgy stream even for this Albion fanatic. I would love to know if there is even one person in the country with no affiliation to either club who has stumped up for this game.

Aug 18, 2013
If this is true (and I hope it is) it will be interesting to see how Mr Barber spins this as the new stance from the Premier League is a 180 degree turn around from Barber's stated position during the fans online Q and A.

Will he admit he got it completely wrong and he should have stood with Leicester City at the time?
More chance of us winning 8-6 tomorrow with Dale Stephens bagging all 6

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I doubt Leicester's view was for the good of the football fan.
I suspect they were more concerned that it would benefit the big 6 more than them and weaken their challenge in the League/Europe.

Barber's job is to look after the finances of Brighton and Hove Albion.
With no matchday revenue, reduced TV income and Season ticket refunds to be given back, what else was he supposed to do?

Plenty of our fans are now relishing the prospect of potentially getting more football for nothing.
How wrong was he about that?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

When you say every game, is that all 10 weekly fixtures in each round of games in the EPL or just the games that are normally scheduled to be on BT/Sky?

Aug 18, 2013
When you say every game, is that all 10 weekly fixtures in each round of games in the EPL or just the games that are normally scheduled to be on BT/Sky?
Sorry, every televised game - and now it sounds like everything else is going to be bundled in too which is great, suddenly seems a reasonable price.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here