PPI Claim - Halifax

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

deakers

Jul 15, 2008
Just a quick tale that could get some fellow fans a couple of quid.

Having seen all the PPI reclaim Ads stating "If you've had a loan/credit card etc in the last 6 years", I'd written off any hope of ever seeing any money back on the PPI I'd paid on old loans. In fact I wasn't even going to bother enquiring. 3 months ago, on a bit of a whim, I gave Halifax a call, just to ask what the time limit for claims was. Imagine my surprise to be told "There isn't a time limit."

I had none of the account/loan numbers, I didn't know any of the amounts or payment details, I didn't know when I'd taken the loans out, I just knew I had a Halifax loan or 2 with PPI that had been paid off prior to 2004. I was on the phone less than 2 minutes. About a week later I got a letter acknowledging my complaint that listed the loan numbers. Yesterday I got a letter saying that they'd be refunding me all the PPI I'd paid between 1999 - 2004!!! + 8% interest.

I can't speak for any of the other banks but I guess this means that Halifax have completely capitulated and are repaying virtually all claims regardless of any time constraints.

I bet I'm not the only person out there who wasn't going to bother because of the emphasis on the "last 6 years" in the adverts. But get on the blower boys and girls! (to Halifax anyway)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So, were you mis-sold PPI or did you take it out as you wanted insurance against the liabilities that you had knowingly taken on?

deakers

Jul 15, 2008
So, were you mis-sold PPI or did you take it out as you wanted insurance against the liabilities that you had knowingly taken on?

It would seem that by current definitions I was mis-sold. Like a lot of people in financial difficulties at the time I got the unwritten inference from bank staff was "You'll have a much better chance of being accepted if you take out the insurance".

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I must get 2 or 3 unsolicited calls a day saying that banks are paying out money for people wrongly sold PPI. How can I check if this applies to me if it does I would sooner fight it myself than paya company. Also I was executor of my mothers will so can I check if she was ever wrongly charged it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The BATTLE you would have on ever successfully claiming on PPI is ridiculous. Its loophole CENTRAL.

Anyone who gets their money back from this legalised scam get a doffed cap from me. Its akin to a Comet extended warranty - worthless, just causes aggro and bitterness.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
The BATTLE you would have on ever successfully claiming on PPI is ridiculous. Its loophole CENTRAL.

Anyone who gets their money back from this legalised scam get a doffed cap from me. Its akin to a Comet extended warranty - worthless, just causes aggro and bitterness.

Well thats my general take on it too, and that unofficially the banks can get shirty with you regarding future mortgages/policies/loans. Did i read somewhere that they can call in any loans/mortgages still outstanding if you claim against them ?
Either way, i'd be very interested in hearing how you get on.. (to the OP)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I took a small loan out with a well known bank when I bought my first property.

I'd never borrowed any money (apart from using credit cards) before so was somewhat naive.

Not only was I told that I couldn't have the loan without insurance, I was quoted a higher interest rate if I didn't.

Should have shopped around but didn't - so learnt my first lesson there. I also needed the money quite quickly.

Unfortunately it was before the cut off period and the bank flatly refuse to assist in sending me any of the paper work. I too have known of the account numbers.

I've wondered recently whether I should pursue it.

Reading the above - I might just think I will.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I must get 2 or 3 unsolicited calls a day saying that banks are paying out money for people wrongly sold PPI. How can I check if this applies to me if it does I would sooner fight it myself than paya company. Also I was executor of my mothers will so can I check if she was ever wrongly charged it.

have you taken out a loan or mortgage (Credit cards too?) and then paid an additional ammount each month for payment protection, ie in the event of loss of earnings, payments carry on?

i havent, taken out PPI that is. most schemes only payout for 6-12 months only after you've been out of work for 6 months. When i got my mortgage with the Nationwide, when arranging life insurance i asked about PPI and the nice man said to not bother. funny coincidence, Nationwide have only had some couple million £ worth of claims, compared to the billions some banks are setting aside for claims.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I worked in Financial Services most of my life. Go back 6/7 years and it wasn't unusual to see lenders making more money from PPI than they were from the interest on the loans ... much more! It actually wasn't a bad product but they got greedy ... jacking up the prices and reducing the benefits ... (time to claim, length of claim). Now everyone in the world sees it as an opportunity to make a few bob ... it's a bit of a shame as any insurance is expensive if not used and plenty did use PPI btw ... but the lenders only have themselves to blame from the (largely) deceptive way they added it in

minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton
???
Just a quick tale that could get some fellow fans a couple of quid.

Having seen all the PPI reclaim Ads stating "If you've had a loan/credit card etc in the last 6 years", I'd written off any hope of ever seeing any money back on the PPI I'd paid on old loans. In fact I wasn't even going to bother enquiring. 3 months ago, on a bit of a whim, I gave Halifax a call, just to ask what the time limit for claims was. Imagine my surprise to be told "There isn't a time limit."

I had none of the account/loan numbers, I didn't know any of the amounts or payment details, I didn't know when I'd taken the loans out, I just knew I had a Halifax loan or 2 with PPI that had been paid off prior to 2004. I was on the phone less than 2 minutes. About a week later I got a letter acknowledging my complaint that listed the loan numbers. Yesterday I got a letter saying that they'd be refunding me all the PPI I'd paid between 1999 - 2004!!! + 8% interest.

I can't speak for any of the other banks but I guess this means that Halifax have completely capitulated and are repaying virtually all claims regardless of any time constraints.

I bet I'm not the only person out there who wasn't going to bother because of the emphasis on the "last 6 years" in the adverts. But get on the blower boys and girls! (to Halifax anyway)

More to the point, how much did you get back ???

astrand99

Hertford Gull
May 3, 2009
Hertford
Definitely worth doing - I got £15k back from Lloyds a few years ago on mis-sold PPI......................you just have to keep at it!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How does one go abouty finding out if they have paid for PPI. If I write to the bank/credit card companies are they obliged to tell me and if they dont how can I find out if I have paid it in the past.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am going to look into it, even though I normally turn down PPI, as apparently sometimes it's included without you realising it.

I want to but am not sure of where to start and would like some guidance if anybody has done it. I feel reasonably certain that my mother would have taken it as she was a saleman dream as regards insurance and as executor of her will I would like to check her accounts out.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
When i changed my mortgage to halifax, they said i had to take a total mortgage protection plan for me to get the mortgage. I had to do it and paid £85 a month for about 8 years. Went to Halifax for a routine enquiry a few months ago and they laughed when i said i was told i had to have it.

Im now chasing the bastards for every penny i can.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports