Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PPI again ! anyone successfully claimed?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Did all of you claiming actually agree to take out PPI, or was it included without your knowledge? As far as I remember, with any loans and credit cards I had in the UK, when asked, I never took it out.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did all of you claiming actually agree to take out PPI, or was it included without your knowledge? As far as I remember, with any loans and credit cards I had in the UK, when asked, I never took it out.
This for me (so all the more annoying to get at least one call a week), but the 'sales techniques' employed at the time were misleading (for example making the agreement of the credit - informally - conditional on accepting the PPI, or quoting repayment figures including PPI but without being transparent that it's included). Sadly a lot of people are so focused on their new car/credit card/kitchen or whatever they don't look at the numbers too closely.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Some lenders made it necessary to make the application go through. Certainly the case for me on 2 occasions.

To OP, set aside a couple of hours and do it yourself. Those companies are parasites and you would literally be chucking away a large percentage. All they would do is use the same boilerplate template you could get and send it to all the big lenders

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Some lenders made it necessary to make the application go through. Certainly the case for me on 2 occasions.

To OP, set aside a couple of hours and do it yourself. Those companies are parasites and you would literally be chucking away a large percentage. All they would do is use the same boilerplate template you could get and send it to all the big lenders

So I guess it must be worth enquiring anyway, even if I do not think that I have a claim? Free money is always welcome!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So I guess it must be worth enquiring anyway, even if I do not think that I have a claim? Free money is always welcome!

I reckon so!

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

In my parents' case, they asked to see a copy of the contract they originally signed and the box ticked for PPI had a tick in different handwriting and different coloured ink. So I believe even if you said no, they could have still signed you up for it.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
It's most definitely worth doing it - I got £20K back a few years ago.
Do it yourself - as others have said it is easy - I have no head for figures and when financial "experts" start talking my eyes glaze over but it really is worth it.
It's YOUR money and YOU are entitled to have it back
The Financial Ombudsman will help you if the company refuse to admit that they owe you any money
Go for it

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
The payouts are ridiculous - I really wish I had said yes to PPI. Most payouts are far in excess of the amounts actually paid out in premiums. Because I declined PPI (as it was obviously of no benefit to me) I am now penalised as I have to contribute indirectly to the huge pool of money that is made available for the compensation claims.
It really pisses me off that the FSA, who are supposed to regulate these things, do nothing to close down obvious mis-selling schemes when they're happening, but instead wait for 5 years before doing anything about it.
Here's a tip - sign up now for 'identity theft' insurance. It is insuring you for something you are covered for already. In 5 years time, we'll have another huge compensation binge for this one.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The payouts are ridiculous - I really wish I had said yes to PPI. Most payouts are far in excess of the amounts actually paid out in premiums. Because I declined PPI (as it was obviously of no benefit to me) I am now penalised as I have to contribute indirectly to the huge pool of money that is made available for the compensation claims.
It really pisses me off that the FSA, who are supposed to regulate these things, do nothing to close down obvious mis-selling schemes when they're happening, but instead wait for 5 years before doing anything about it.
Here's a tip - sign up now for 'identity theft' insurance. It is insuring you for something you are covered for already. In 5 years time, we'll have another huge compensation binge for this one.

The FSA was dissolved a few ago with regulation now being under the control of 2 bodies.

There are many insurance policies where the benefit against the risk only really provide peace of mind to the policyholder rather than any financial benefit or assistance with ID theft just being one of those.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

It's not FREE. It's your money you gave to them. They stole it from you by mis-selling.
Just a point here. If you do get another company to do the leg work (write a simple letter for you) shop around and ask for percentages plus make sure it is a once only payment. Some companies will fleece you for other payments that you do all the work (write a simple letter) for.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not PPI, but currently trying to claim for a mis-sold packaged bank account via the Financial Ombudsman. Bank's response was basically, tough titties, your claim was made outside of lime limits set by the FCA (regulator). Presumably they try and kick back on PPI claims on the same basis?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
The FSA was dissolved a few ago with regulation now being under the control of 2 bodies.

There are many insurance policies where the benefit against the risk only really provide peace of mind to the policyholder rather than any financial benefit or assistance with ID theft just being one of those.

Thats bonkers. What is peace of mind if its not financial compensation for a loss?
ID theft insurance is an attempt to make you pay for insurance for something the bank is liable for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here