Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's failure to sign a target man is a farce

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Nah, that's no fun. Cocktard

Oh go on then, please identify a list of target men that would be suitable to the way we play, and affordable to our wage structure and passes all other checks that Gus likes to run over potential signings [not that they have been 100% successful]. Or should he just sign someone for the sake of it, so then w.w can moan about them being shit and Gus getting another rubbish player blah blah blah.

Glenn Murray

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Poyet's failure to hang on to Glenn Murray or find a suitable replacement is his biggest gaffe to date. Maybe next transfer window he will be able to finally rectify this. We definitely need a target man in the squad.

So frustrating that nearly all the other elements of a great team are in place but teams come here and stop us playing because we have no plan B.

Drives me nuts with how slow our build up is when we have the chance to break against a team 1-0 up who put 10 men behind the ball and yet we take so long getting the ball forward that the opposition have time to get everyone behind the ball again

When we eventually get there crosses into the box are generally eaten up by big defenders or taken by the keeper as we have no presence in the box whatsoever without CMS.

Dobbie needs time to settle in but he doesn't look like a striker with presence to me at the moment. Skilful with a good snap shot but is being knocked off the ball or dispossessed too easily.

Two f***ing frustrating games to watch and a reality check that we have overachieved again so far this season.

This.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Nah, that's no fun. Cocktard

Oh go on then, please identify a list of target men that would be suitable to the way we play, and affordable to our wage structure and passes all other checks that Gus likes to run over potential signings [not that they have been 100% successful]. Or should he just sign someone for the sake of it, so then w.w can moan about them being shit and Gus getting another rubbish player blah blah blah.

I'm neither Gus, nor a scout, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to estimate both what our wage budget is and the 'checks' that Gus likes to run on potential signings. When they start paying me to do it though, I'll be sure to find someone :thumbsup: Until then, I will simply be a supporter and point out that we need a target man.

erm...no specs here sunshine...just dont agree with the farce bit

Any particular reasoning behind this statement or just because WW posted it and you don't like him?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
We had what we need: Glenn Murray.
Indeed we did. Sadly missed by me. The use of the phrase 'target man' always seems to be taken as a big lump. But Glenn Is a player you can hit the ball at and it sticks or he draws the foul. You keep possession, something we were very weak at in the last two games.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Barnes was not great tonight but he does not lead the line, he is best running onto the ball and finding space created by someone in front of him.

We missed CMS but ultimately you are correct they would all be better playing off someone who can lead the line and hold the ball up.

I wass not upset when Murray left as I assumed we would replace him with a better version, we did'nt!

Your first point is so correct. Barnes does not create space. He spends most of the time marking his defender, he hardly ever makes that decisive run. The space he only ever finds is due to a better player playing with him, as in CMS and Murray, that is why Barnes is a very limited player. To me Barnes is just an opportunist not a creative player.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Indeed we did. Sadly missed by me. The use of the phrase 'target man' always seems to be taken as a big lump. But Glenn Is a player you can hit the ball at and it sticks or he draws the foul. You keep possession, something we were very weak at in the last two games.

Nail. Head.

When I say target man I mean someone with presence up front, Murray had it, CMS has it for different reasons. Whilst you don't need to have presence to succeed, not having anyone with presence in the team is very hurtful but it's been that way for a while now. Everything in our team behind the Striker is promotion quality in my opinion, but the final piece of the puzzle still has not been found.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Shame really . We looked to have no weakness early doors but like last season we have big holes in our armour .

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Vicente, Bruno, Crofts and CMS are 4 of our best players. Any team would experience a dip in results with those 4 out. I don't buy the argument we've overachieved so far. Are Blackpool being found out? I suspect they'll be there or thereabouts come the end of the season too.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
9 men out there tonight. Barnes completely anonymous and Dobbie making Billy Paynter look mobile. Presumably he was our 16th choice striker in the summer and we ended up with him?

It's embarrassing that we still haven't replaced Murray and infuriating that, just like last season, a few games in and teams have worked out that we've got no plan b. We've made some brilliant signings, but Poyet's failure to get the striker (again!) is going to cost us.

Let's hope CMS gets fit soon and Dobbie can sit his fat arse back on the subs bench!

Oh shit. Without necessarily going as far as describing it as a "farce", for the first time in my life, I agree with Withdean Whinger. A de3cent striker / replacement for CMS, we would have won both Saturday and tonight (imho).

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Well, Tony will need to come up with another 3 million then won't he. Sake. We are third.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Your first point is so correct. Barnes does not create space. He spends most of the time marking his defender, he hardly ever makes that decisive run. The space he only ever finds is due to a better player playing with him, as in CMS and Murray, that is why Barnes is a very limited player. To me Barnes is just an opportunist not a creative player.

No you need to play the correct players in the right positions to get the best out of them unless you are going to sign World class players.

Barnes was doing a job he is not suited to, he should either be played as part of a two man forward line playing sightly withdrawn or outwide with a view to being part of a 2 or 3 when we are in the final third.

CMS, Barnes, Doobie, Vicente, Bucley etc would score alot more goals if we had someone who could lead the line holding up the ball to play off and occupying the central defenders and creating the space for them to exploit.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
A lot of our success with CMS is the fact that the defence is scared of him, it was the same with Murray.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Anyone who refers to Gus' transfer dealing as a farce is a fool. Good players don't grow on trees. He sorted out our GK. He sorted out our defence. I doubt a lot of those players would be here if it wasn't for Gus.

He'll sort out the striker he wants too.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Yeah! We are THIRD! f*** it lets get a target man and HOOF it up the pitch!

Having a target man or somebody who can hold the ball up does not mean you cannot play passing football. Once you have passed the opposing team to death you need to have somebody who can head the ball when you cross or will cause a bit of mayhem in the box for others to profit from.

If teams sit back it's hard to play through their back line centrally hence the number of times we went wide in the last two games.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Yeah! We are THIRD! f*** it lets get a target man and HOOF it up the pitch!

Having a target man or somebody who can hold the ball up does not mean you cannot play passing football. Once you have passed the opposing team to death you need to have somebody who can head the ball when you cross or will cause a bit of mayhem in the box for others to profit from.

If teams sit back it's hard to play through their back line centrally hence the number of times we went wide in the last two games.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Anyone who refers to Gus' transfer dealing as a farce is a fool. Good players don't grow on trees. He sorted out our GK. He sorted out our defence. I doubt a lot of those players would be here if it wasn't for Gus.

He'll sort out the striker he wants too.

I think you are right but it's frustrating to watch. Lets hope he either gets a gem on loan or makes a cracking signing come January.

In hindsight letting Murray slip through our fingers was a mistake. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Minge

Jan 3, 2005
The OP are right, wake up and smell the coffee. Unless TB takes notice and gets rid of these South Africans in charge, we will be in the Conference and setting our sat navs before you can say Forest Green Rovers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here