Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Poyet

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I was annoyed seeing his name on the punditry when I tuned in, but ended up thinking back to his first game at St Mary's; he'd only been in the role a few days but we were transformed and the atmosphere was amazing. He brought us so many good times and did an amazing job of developing some of our players. We were sublime the following season and he proved to be one of TB's best gambles, despite the acrimonious departure.

It's not even so much the Palace debacle that rankles, it's the fact he could've been a club legend if he had the mentality and a bit of patience. Instead, he got above his station and thought the grass was greener, then learned the hard way that he had the job of a lifetime.

A shame, but pointless holding a grudge really

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He was very complimentary about us, I do wonder if he thinks “what if…”
I doubt it, given how the rest of his managerial career has gone I don’t think he’s learnt much , or blames himself for anything

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
It was a fantastic time to be an Albion fan - "we're fecking brilliant" was maybe the best chant ever

But he massively disrespected my club - never forget - never forgive

People have short memories.....

As a coach, what else did he achieve? feck all to be honest.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I was one who stood and applauded him. I was also there in the bad times and believe Gus to be a part of many wheels that have made us the team we are now.
I also believe he had taken us as far as he could and that Hughton took us over that line but even he would admit that it was Gus that started the club and fans thinking the ultimate goal was in sight.
In 10 years time will I applaud Potter in the same way, quite possibly.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’d like to see him back at the club someday as a guest having made up with TB and the staff.

Forgiving him for being a twat would be a good look for the club. He is an important part of our history. Yes, he had the ceiling and not the club BUT it’s time to welcome him back. Very, very few managers have done a better job for us, you can count them on one hand.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I was annoyed seeing his name on the punditry when I tuned in, but ended up thinking back to his first game at St Mary's; he'd only been in the role a few days but we were transformed and the atmosphere was amazing. He brought us so many good times and did an amazing job of developing some of our players. We were sublime the following season and he proved to be one of TB's best gambles, despite the acrimonious departure.

It's not even so much the Palace debacle that rankles, it's the fact he could've been a club legend if he had the mentality and a bit of patience. Instead, he got above his station and thought the grass was greener, then learned the hard way that he had the job of a lifetime.

A shame, but pointless holding a grudge really
That’s how I feel really. I remember thinking he’s going to do a Mullery and take us from the 3rd to the top division. It was a shame how it ended but looking back now it is almost pantomime with “poogate” “Ceilings” and sacked “live on TV”. Certainly memorable!:ROFLMAO:

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
To be honest, when he got the round of applause I thought he looked a little bit sheepish at first because he perhaps wasn't expecting it - I was right next to the Saints fans by the corner flag.

There's something a bit 'ex-girlfriendy' about it all, from both sides I think.

I had been enjoying several strong ales in the Unity Brewing tap room beforehand though.

Fairly certain we sang Nathan Jones name as well, albeit briefly.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Gus will always be a HUGE part of our journey. His crazy selfish streak is part of who he is. When it became apparent he hasn’t quite got what it takes to be top level he threw his toys out of the pram. But I’ll never forget what he did.

Plus he f***ing HATED Alan Pardew. So that deserves bonus points.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Wtf was that as all about today? Do people not remember his acrimonious departure? His actions after losing THAT match?

What was the applause all about?
Did a fantastic job and if anything set us on the road to success.

Sure he was a twat at the end, but everyone has moved on, we’ve comfortably surpassed the “ceiling”, he hasn’t done as well as he thought he would.

Hey-ho! We all make mistakes….. Gus is always positive about our style….

Don’t get the hate….. I genuinely loved his brand of football.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sorry got to disagree on that, Jeff Wood getting the sack after a ‘home‘ capitulation against Cambridge at Gillingham, prompted Dick Knight to seek out Micky Adams at Nottingham Forest reserves in April 1999.

The classic sliding door moment, as the Adams Mk One reign was the ultimate catalyst at our football club.
Don’t agree, it certainly was for one chapter, but as soon as we went down from the championship, and Adams disastrous second spell, which Slade partially resolved, a new chapter was required.

Poyet was certainly the start of that IMO.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Don’t agree, it certainly was for one chapter, but as soon as we went down from the championship, and Adams disastrous second spell, which Slade partially resolved, a new chapter was required.

Poyet was certainly the start of that IMO.
Poyet got a bit of head-start over previous Albion managers of that era, in that he was the first one to have the purse-strings loosened to a certain extent, planning permission for the new stadium having finally been secured

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Poyet got a bit of head-start over previous Albion managers of that era, in that he was the first one to have the purse-strings loosened to a certain extent, planning permission for the new stadium having finally been secured
We were in the relegation zone in November 2009 and the stadium was over two years away. He had to get us to safety first.

smelly

May 23, 2004
BHA away fans showed their class as usual applauding Gus for what he achieved. GP was genuinely taken aback by positivity. We are premier league top half and he is a pundit for Amazon Prime. Of course he thinks what if but was a great moment on both sides

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
BHA away fans showed their class as usual applauding Gus for what he achieved. GP was genuinely taken aback by positivity. We are premier league top half and he is a pundit for Amazon Prime. Of course he thinks what if but was a great moment on both sides
Seems like GP might finally have learnt a little bit of humility in his old age :clap2:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He is also the Greek national team manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here