Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet "we have a few problems"

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
Prem clubs should have clauses in all the player contracts so that wages drop if they are relegated. Some players should have automatic release clauses. I think the parachute payments are compensating for bad club management.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Well we were nearly there if you think about it. Take away Kuszczak's and Ankergren's 2 calamities and we'd have finished 2nd ?

Gus wasn't far off, I am convinced there is someone out there who can get us promoted.

If Gus doesn't fancy it, I don't think there are many who'll miss his budget moaning, and the constant job speculation he does nothing to silence.

I agree if he does go it's "Thanks for everything" and move on. I would miss him, but he does have some PR issues.

I think the key is trying to keep most of the 1st team squad with some tweaking and try to convert a few more of those draws into wins and we are there.
We have the best defence in the division so need to build from that.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I think the major thing that contributed to their awful seasons was the instability if first team management.

West Ham proved last season with stable management you can challenge to go straight back up.

Reading didn't over spend this season and I can't see them firing Adkins early season either. With their parachute payments, they will be challenging to go straight back up.

I agree, Reading look in the best position cause they didn't spunk all their money on over paid mercenaries like QPR.

Wigan will have a full on Premier League wage bill to deal with and only a hand full of fans watching them so they will have a lot of juggling to do.

Think this will also mean that Championship players in the future will have to realise the big wages just aren't there anymore.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Prem clubs should have clauses in all the player contracts so that wages drop if they are relegated. Some players should have automatic release clauses. I think the parachute payments are compensating for bad club management.

I asked Paul Barber at a recent Q&A if that was possible IF we got promoted. His answer was that players wouldn't sign contracts at all if that was put in.
I agree that in a perfect world, it would happen, but when clubs are in competition for the best players, their agents are going to pick the best terms for them.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Next season all the teams in the Championship will have the same budgetry restrictions, so the playing field will be level. We have 30K attendances and huge matchday revenue, surely that will put us in the ascendency.

And the fact that relegated teams are exempt from the break-even test for one season. Will have to pay "tax" if they don't abide though.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
I asked Paul Barber at a recent Q&A if that was possible IF we got promoted. His answer was that players wouldn't sign contracts at all if that was put in.
I agree that in a perfect world, it would happen, but when clubs are in competition for the best players, their agents are going to pick the best terms for them.

But players would have no choice if all other clubs were putting the same clause in.

I think they should scrap parachute payments and make it a rule that contracts are set as such that wages are re-negotiated (or set to a lower level) upon relegation.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
How is this "Financial Fair Play" when relegated Premier League teams get such a massive advantage, regardless of how much money their club fairly makes?

With FFP, Parachute payments should be shared equally amongst ALL championship teams - this is the only way it would be literally financially fair...

Ah but that's the point with FFP, if that club goes back up straight away with the parachute payments, and are still unable to meet the FFP they then pay tax to all chamionship clubs not promoted, as a fine.

Golden Oldie

Feb 10, 2004
I've not read the rules so this is maybe a very simplistic view but I thought FFP was at least partly based on wages/income ratios.
With the biggest gates in the Championship, plus decent other income streams and sponsorship, presumably our total income stacks up well against other Clubs? According to the Telegraph this morning we may have the 4th smallest budget in the Division. Whilst there are obviously other wages to pay, surely this should put us in a better position than many other Clubs to avoid the FFP problems to which GP alluded on Monday night?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I've not read the rules so this is maybe a very simplistic view but I thought FFP was at least partly based on wages/income ratios.
With the biggest gates in the Championship, plus decent other income streams and sponsorship, presumably our total income stacks up well against other Clubs? According to the Telegraph this morning we may have the 4th smallest budget in the Division. Whilst there are obviously other wages to pay, surely this should put us in a better position than many other Clubs to avoid the FFP problems to which GP alluded on Monday night?

Depends what our costs are I suppose. Biggest gates but a big stadium to run too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'm not sure I agree with Barber here. Players currently do and will sign such contracts and you will probably find this will happen more when FFP comes in as clubs will not be able to wilt with player demands anymore. Also, I'm not sure I want a player who refuses to share the financial pain should we be relegated; it says a lot about where his priorities lie.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
WIgan players and Martinez reportedly had huge relegation wage drops in their contracts so don't agree with Barber on this.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
The Sun said (so it must be true!) today that the playing budget for next season is £10 Million. How does this compare with 2012 / 13.

All well and good talking about budgets but the one thing the club must do is ensure that the books balance, the last thing we want is to over spend and become a Pompey or Palace where they have a different exchange rate to the rest of the country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here