Poyet wants Re(hab)conciliation Bloom says No No No

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Just a small point regarding budgets, Barber etc. Gus said we had the 17th biggest budget in the division after we lost to Watford in Nov 2011 and "I don't do miracles." This pre-dates Barber so obviously this issue was already there.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Why would you want a manager who doesn't want to be here?

This big time! Relationship with club permanently damaged and that with the fans despite his achievements also weakened. For me it was the timing that hurt what with the crucial defeat to Palace

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm starting to love the Anti Gus threads now, people against have nothing to go by :lol:

It's unbelievable isn't it. Nobody knows anything and yet the best manager we've had for decades who's almost single handedly taken us from nothnig to quite something and the 4th best team in a very competitive Championship is getting slated on hear say bullshit. Unreal. I had banned myself from here as new the usual idiots would be in full voice - only came on cos I saw some bullshit on twitter about Gus staying... :facepalm:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
It's unbelievable isn't it. Nobody knows anything and yet the best manager we've had for decades who's almost single handedly taken us from nothnig to quite something and the 4th best team in a very competitive Championship is getting slated on hear say bullshit. Unreal. I had banned myself from here as new the usual idiots would be in full voice - only came on cos I saw some bullshit on twitter about Gus staying... :facepalm:

Wow you do think highly of him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Jim you are of an age to remember, Spurs didnt have the best of starts, and we all went to bed Saturday night with Ramos as their boss with Gus as his assistant and woke up on Sunday with them both gone and Redknapp having left Pompey(He clearly knew what was coming) and installed at the Lane. It is my understanding that this whole incident wasnt handled very well, with the Albion's current CEO being heavily involved, and Gus felt aggrieved, something which clearly still rankles with him to this day.

We clearly dont know the full circumstances, but with Redknapp and others involved clearly everything wasnt kosher.

Levy and Barber acted decisively and ruthlessly, it was a case of "getting their man". As things turned out it was just as well for Spurs because their season turned around almost instantly. Levy doesn't always do these things with class (see the sacking of Jol) but he doesn't hang around either.

I suspect you're correct in that the Ramos Coup is still affecting Poyet. That said, he was only Assistant Manager and Spurs results had been shocking - that's football.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think his comments about budget are par for the course for managers. If you lose respect for someone because they "complain" about their budget (often times the comments were about managing expectation, highlighting how well the players, the club, and yes, gus himself, has done, is there something wrong with being proud of your achievements?) then there won't be many managers you respect.[/QUOTE

I agree with the majority of what you say but this. With the exception of McGhee who genuinely could justifiably gripe about the challenges of his budget, I cannot recall other Brighton managers highlighting it to the extent Poyet has. In terms of negative comments against your employers, (which surely would incorporate lack of budget), or going off to the golf course if the fans boo the team (which actually at times was aimed at match officials - see FC Utd). Poyet has done this, more than any other manager.

IF he has/had an issue with Barber, so what? He needs to be a bit more mature about the situation, things happen in life and you have to take them on the chin and move on. Ironically his latest outburst, may have cost him the opportunity to talk to Premier teams, some of whom would surely have been a viable option for him (Everton/Stoke).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Maybe Barber was trying to interfere in football matters which were clearly Poyet's to decide. Maybe Poyet was involved in the financial side when Brown was here and Barber told him to do one and concentrate of football etc etc. In reality we will never know it will always be rumor and counter rumour

What a load of shite. You are making up excuses to justify your love in for Poyet. Exactly how are you suggesting Barber interfered? Did he try and select the team, insist on different tactics or did he just do his job and tell Poyet, this is your budget.

are we really very sure about this that Tony and Paul are joined at the hip and as for the neglecting of negotiating of contracts if and I say if Gus had been told there were certain players he could not have (Bridge and Upson for example) then I'm afraid I would be fuming.
I mean who exactly is/was the manager
he had players that got us to 4th and then to be told you could not afford them next season .
recipe for disaster and someone should have foreseen this coming and maybe just maybe Gus did hence the outbursts

I'm not saying they are joined at the hip, just that Barber is there at Bloom's behest. He would soon be gone if Bloom didn't like what he was doing. With regard to your comments on Bridge and Upson, can you divulge what they are both seeking as salaries for their next contract? They might both be on a free but I believe Bridge was on £90k a week when he was with us. Fortunately, Man City were paying the bulk of that. Even if he took a 66% reduction, he is still outside our budget. The same for Upson who, whilst not on the same as Bridge, will still be looking for a hefty salary as that is what he is used to. We had them on loan because we negotiated contributions to their existing contracts but now they are free agents, we can't afford them unless they loved playing at Brighton so much they will sacrifice a higher salary that they could get elsewhere (maybe Bridge more than Upson!)

Gus wants to manage Brighton and Hove Albion very much. However he wants promises made to him to be kept, and he doesn't want to be constantly undermined by someone else at the club.

Like all managers he wants a bigger and bigger budget. But he will compromise. However he doesn't expect it to go backwards when his style of football and success he has achieved for the club had meant the stadium is selling out to 30,000 people every week.

I would say he has a point.

This board is full hypocrites. A few weeks ago Gus was the best thing since sliced bread. What has changed?When were all these board pronouncements about how brilliant Poyet was?

He just verbalised what we all knew that he is ambitious and that if the club doesn't keep up with his ambitions he will move on. What is wrong with that? That's what happens in business all over the world.

He has actually incredible loyalty in a business where there is little. I think your definition of loyalty is different to mine. If he was loyal he would not talk about other jobs whilst he was at Brighton. If you are measuring Loyalty based on the fact he has been here since Nov 2009, ie just over 3 and half years then it's not difficult to be loyal when things are going well.

Don't forget he is currently the 6th longest serving manager in English football. Sounds great except when you then point out that it is only 3years 7 months.

100% correct. Some on here are like spurned lovers clinging on desperately to a man who has publicly let it be known that HE thinks he is better than us. He isn't.

Couldn't agree more. Poyet should be worried that he is going to spend the next few years being stalked by a host of anonymous keyboard lovers!!!!

So then, who to replace one the the best managers we have EVER had??

We took a punt on Poyet in 2009 when he had no track record. We may appoint someone with a track record who might fail or succeed and equally we might take another punt on someone like Bergkamp who might succeed or fail. Brighton's future and success doesn't not hinge on Poyet being the manager.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We took a punt on Poyet in 2009 when he had no track record. We may appoint someone with a track record who might fail or succeed and equally we might take another punt on someone like Bergkamp who might succeed or fail. Brighton's future and success doesn't not hinge on Poyet being the manager.

Exactly.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
What a load of shite. You are making up excuses to justify your love in for Poyet. Exactly how are you suggesting Barber interfered? Did he try and select the team, insist on different tactics or did he just do his job and tell Poyet, this is your budget.

I'm not saying they are joined at the hip, just that Barber is there at Bloom's behest. He would soon be gone if Bloom didn't like what he was doing. With regard to your comments on Bridge and Upson, can you divulge what they are both seeking as salaries for their next contract? They might both be on a free but I believe Bridge was on £90k a week when he was with us. Fortunately, Man City were paying the bulk of that. Even if he took a 66% reduction, he is still outside our budget. The same for Upson who, whilst not on the same as Bridge, will still be looking for a hefty salary as that is what he is used to. We had them on loan because we negotiated contributions to their existing contracts but now they are free agents, we can't afford them unless they loved playing at Brighton so much they will sacrifice a higher salary that they could get elsewhere (maybe Bridge more than Upson!)

Couldn't agree more. Poyet should be worried that he is going to spend the next few years being stalked by a host of anonymous keyboard lovers!!!!

Absolutely spot on.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Well done for taking a quote completely out of context.
Nowhere did I suggest anything, in answer to a question I put possible scenarios forward at why they might have fallen out. It was not pro Poyet, Barber, Bloom or anyone. It was a possible hypothetically situation(s) as to why a falling out might have occurred where blame might have been put on Barber for getting involved in things he shouldn't or Poyet for doing the same.
Further, I don't have 'love' for Poyet I believe he is a good manager and done well for us and it will be shame to see him leave but I don't know the circumstances behind the suspension so anything could have happened.

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
Gus wants to manage Brighton and Hove Albion very much. However he wants promises made to him to be kept, and he doesn't want to be constantly undermined by someone else at the club.

Like all managers he wants a bigger and bigger budget. But he will compromise. However he doesn't expect it to go backwards when his style of football and success he has achieved for the club had meant the stadium is selling out to 30,000 people every week.

I would say he has a point.

This board is full hypocrites. A few weeks ago Gus was the best thing since sliced bread. What has changed?

He just verbalised what we all knew that he is ambitious and that if the club doesn't keep up with his ambitions he will move on. What is wrong with that? That's what happens in business all over the world.

He has actually incredible loyalty in a business where there is little.

Don't forget he is currently the 6th longest serving manager in English football.

The most sensible post for weeks.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It's all same old same old .. Regurgitating the same arguments ..speculation blah blah that we all did a week or so ago ..all with little substance ..I've never felt so lacking in enthusiasm for football as right now

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well done for taking a quote completely out of context.
Nowhere did I suggest anything, in answer to a question I put possible scenarios forward at why they might have fallen out. It was not pro Poyet, Barber, Bloom or anyone. It was a possible hypothetically situation(s) as to why a falling out might have occurred where blame might have been put on Barber for getting involved in things he shouldn't or Poyet for doing the same.
Further, I don't have 'love' for Poyet I believe he is a good manager and done well for us and it will be shame to see him leave but I don't know the circumstances behind the suspension so anything could have happened.

Re read your quote so apologies. However, for what it's worth, I doubt Barber interfered in team matters other than the budget and equally I doubt Poyet tried to get involved in the financial side other asking for a higher budget.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
It's all same old same old .. Regurgitating the same arguments ..speculation blah blah that we all did a week or so ago ..all with little substance ..I've never felt so lacking in enthusiasm for football as right now

Chin up Lamie you're not the only one---our six are all feeling the same.
Might go to the Toolfair just to see the Amex again :thumbsup:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Pmsl.....Gus is like a ex girlfriend, who always made you feel she was to good for you. Flirting and flashing her tits to anyone that paid an interest, all the time making you feel small, and not worthy. Then one day, she upped and left only to try crawling back a few weeks later, when she realized. That actually no one wants an old whore as their girlfriend, who they can't trust and in reality wasn't a very good shag in the first place, always just wanted to do it one way,,,,because that's the way she wanted it, otherwise she would get up and watch the tv.....But in the meantime you have seen the light and realized that she was just a bit of old mutton, dressed up as lamb and you thank you lucky stars, your shot of the old scrubber.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Pmsl.....Gus is like a ex girlfriend, who always made you feel she was to good for you. Flirting and flashing her tits to anyone that paid an interest, all the time making you feel small, and not worthy. Then one day, she upped and left only to try crawling back a few weeks later, when she realized. That actually no one wants an old whore as their girlfriend, who they can't trust and in reality wasn't a very good shag in the first place, always just wanted to do it one way,,,,because that's the way she wanted it, otherwise she would get up and watch the tv.....But in the meantime you have seen the light and realized that she was just a bit of old mutton, dressed up as lamb and you thank you lucky stars, your shot of the old scrubber.

Pretty good analogy there, we have also realised that we can do better.

Gus wont be back, the bridges are burnt.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010

Never came from behind. (OK, only once.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports