Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet wants Re(hab)conciliation Bloom says No No No

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
None yet but im sure once hes gone more will pipe up

Sandaza did. But how many managers are liked by every single one if their players? You wouldn't be a very successful manager if everybody liked you. You have to take what Vicente says with a pinch of salt.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I think deep down he would still like the job, the apparent problem is he fell out with a senior member of the club staff at another club in the North London area, when this person was subsequently employed by the club Gus Poyet allegedly made it clear there was an issue, clearly they cannot resolve their differences and TB, ever the gambler, has backed the 'cert' in his opinion.

This just seems overly melodramatic to me. Ok so he fell out while at the other club but what could be so serious that, in Poyet's mind, they fell out again even before this other person joined the club? Was he seeing Poyet's wife? Did he insult Poyet's family or parentage? Was there a 'respect' issue? The first I can understand, the second possibly depending on the seriousness but the third? Just get over it and behave professionally.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
This just seems overly melodramatic to me. Ok so he fell out while at the other club but what could be so serious that, in Poyet's mind, they fell out again even before this other person joined the club? Was he seeing Poyet's wife? Did he insult Poyet's family or parentage? Was there a 'respect' issue? The first I can understand, the second possibly depending on the seriousness but the third? Just get over it and behave professionally.

Maybe Barber was trying to interfere in football matters which were clearly Poyet's to decide. Maybe Poyet was involved in the financial side when Brown was here and Barber told him to do one and concentrate of football etc etc. In reality we will never know it will always be rumor and counter rumour

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I have it on good authority that Gus and Tony are going to play cards to make the decision. I came up with this stunning realisation after listening to Benny Hill's "Ernie" this morning, where Two Ton Ted from Teddington said of his rivalry with Ernie about the lady in their life "Oh why don't we play cards for her, he sneeringly replied".

Well, as supposition, it seems to be as well informed as some of the stuff on here. Personally I have no knowledge or inside information, would be happy if Gus was to stay on the basis that it will be Tony Bloom's judgement as to whether that is a satisfactory outcome, and in him I trust..... and if he were willing to trust Gus to carry on, that would be good enough for me.

But I, like most other people on here, I suspect, have NO IDEA what the actual reason for the suspension(s) are. It could be about something which, if proved, will lead to instant dismissal with absolutely no alternative, or it could be something which can be sorted out. But it needs to happen soon, not because I am desperate to know, but because the club, its staff and players need to know where they stand with a new season still distant but...... it won't be long.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
My evidence is that when I met Tony he stated that the choice of manager is one of the chairman's most important roles.

From this it is clear that Tony is handling this personally and not taking a hands off role in proceedings.

OK but did he say that he wanted Gus out? If he is handling it personally could it not be that he is investigating this personally and that he will make the final decision. If what I suggest is true then in no way has TB made any comment to show he wants Gus out. YOU have put that spin on.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
This is a ridiculous post. You make it sound like these are the only two options/outcomes. There is no guarantee that Poyet will get us promoted next year and you can't say we won't end up with a better manager who takes what has been achieved so far and takes us further.

Again, another ridiculous post. Barber is Tony Bloom's man and is carrying out what TB wants in terms of the club. As for 'neglecting' to negotiate contracts, you make it sound like he accidentally missed that item in his diary. He chose not to negotiate/deal with those contracts.

Seems there are some that are clinging to the possibility Poyet may stay. There is no way he would stay without losing credibility, especially amongst the players and he is too arrogant, as most managers are, to do that. He doesn't need to walk into another job straight away so provided he is released he can afford to wait for the right position to come up. TB can't take the chance of allowing an unmotivated manager to come back just so he can bide his time till a better job comes up.

are we really very sure about this that Tony and Paul are joined at the hip and as for the neglecting of negotiating of contracts if and I say if Gus had been told there were certain players he could not have (Bridge and Upson for example) then I'm afraid I would be fuming.
I mean who exactly is/was the manager
he had players that got us to 4th and then to be told you could not afford them next season
recipe for disaster and someone should have foreseen this coming and maybe just maybe Gus did hence the outbursts

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Sandaza did. But how many managers are liked by every single one if their players? You wouldn't be a very successful manager if everybody liked you. You have to take what Vicente says with a pinch of salt.

I personally think Vicente was wrong in doing the interview. A thankyou to fans and club would have been the right approach. Im certain he's not the only player who had isssues with gus though

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I personally think Vicente was wrong in doing the interview. A thankyou to fans and club would have been the right approach. Im certain he's not the only player who had isssues with gus though

Maybe so but you seem to be ignoring the players that have come out in support of Poyet in your one sided argument

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I have it on good authority that Gus and Tony are going to play cards to make the decision. I came up with this stunning realisation after listening to Benny Hill's "Ernie" this morning, where Two Ton Ted from Teddington said of his rivalry with Ernie about the lady in their life "Oh why don't we play cards for her, he sneeringly replied".

Well, as supposition, it seems to be as well informed as some of the stuff on here. Personally I have no knowledge or inside information, would be happy if Gus was to stay on the basis that it will be Tony Bloom's judgement as to whether that is a satisfactory outcome, and in him I trust..... and if he were willing to trust Gus to carry on, that would be good enough for me.

But I, like most other people on here, I suspect, have NO IDEA what the actual reason for the suspension(s) are. It could be about something which, if proved, will lead to instant dismissal with absolutely no alternative, or it could be something which can be sorted out. But it needs to happen soon, not because I am desperate to know, but because the club, its staff and players need to know where they stand with a new season still distant but...... it won't be long.

Do you think that just to make it interesting they'll have a shilling on the side

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick

Strange that he is the only player to say this Bridge, Upson, Painter, Dicker, Dobbie, FFS and more all no longer with the club can't recall anyone slating Gus. Apologies if I am wrong on this.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I'm expecting to see an advert on saturday with Gus Poyet holding a copy of The People exclaiming, "Read the TRUTH about my time with Brighton" and the words "explosive exclusive" to be flashed across the screen.

This saga has legs.

This could go on a long time. Poyet is a bloke that will put out his side of the story, and comment on everyone else's.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Im certain he's not the only player who had isssues with gus though

I'm certain he isn't as well. It would be pretty astonishing if everyone liked the manager, wouldn't it? His job isn't to be liked, it's to make tough decisions.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I want a manager who wants to manage Brighton. Thats all. Not a lot to ask for really.

To be honest I like having an ambitious manager who's at least honest about the fact that he'd like to manage a top club. Do you honestly believe that Holloway, Mackay or Pearson don't have ambitions to manage one of the big boys in the game? The only difference is that Gus has spoken out about it, although I can see why that annoys many fans.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Players often praise managers. Very very rarely will they criticise 1.

So you are using what Vicente said (even though you later say he lacks class because he spoke out) to beat Poyet but won't take any of the positive comments from ex players ?

I have no doubt a fair few don't like him but to ignore players who have nothing to gain from speaking about the situation like Bennett or Dicker is a bit strange in my view.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Maybe Barber was trying to interfere in football matters which were clearly Poyet's to decide. Maybe Poyet was involved in the financial side when Brown was here and Barber told him to do one and concentrate of football etc etc. In reality we will never know it will always be rumor and counter rumour

How would Barber interfere? Perhaps to say 'you can't buy Player X as we can't afford him' - but that would be him doing his job. As for being involved with the financial side, why would he constantly refer to the budget limitations if he was able to do something about them? The only way this ongoing dislike makes sense to me is if there is a personal side to it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here