Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Stadium of Light

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

FA Cup Final. Reading top 6 in the Premier after winning The Championship with a record haul of points and quite a high position with Palace in The Premier League too. You think Poyet has achieved more ? WOW right back at you.

The Coppell of a few years ago would have had us promoted automatically last season with the backing Gus had...just imo like.

Last edited:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
he still don't get the English game yet though does he

quoting this was he's biggest win of his career

no Mr Poyet

Brighton 3-0 Cristals

Sunderland 2-1 Newcastle

beating a load of millionaires from an underperforming team ain't no big shakes

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That was very, very enjoyable. Our first clean sheet in fifteen matches against the top scorers in The PL, statistics eh!
Over all the years I've supported the team our best days have always been battling backs to the wall performances like today, but that was one of the best.
There's a little bit of hope creeping back in.

Style of play looked very familiar at various times, excellent result for the Black Cats and with MUFC now back in the running it could be any one of six.

I would not even write of Southampton at this stage, they look pretty good.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
FA Cup Final. Reading top 6 in the Premier after winning The Championship with a record haul of points and quite a high position with Palace in The Premier League too. You think Poyet has achieved more ? WOW right back at you.

The Coppell of a few years ago would have had us promoted automatically last season with the backing Gus had...just imo like.

Was the season before the premier league but Palace under Coppell finished 3rd in Div 1 in 1990/91. Can't see that ever being repeated by us or them.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Your original post implied that you meant Coppell was a better manager for us that Poyet. That wasn't the case and the examples you've listed weren't for us.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Was the season before the premier league but Palace under Coppell finished 3rd in Div 1 in 1990/91. Can't see that ever being repeated by us or them.

Exactly, good though Poyet undoubtably is he is not yet the greatest manager we have ever had. He may turn out to be a great manager, but he's not there yet.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Your original post implied that you meant Coppell was a better manager for us that Poyet. That wasn't the case and the examples you've listed weren't for us.

No, I was responding to the post that Poyet was the best manager Brighton have ever had, I am not suggesting Coppell did better when he was here but given what Coppell had to work with and seeing what he did for Reading after he left us he certainly would have matched or bettered Gus' achievements if he had been give the same tools. Coppell was a better manager than Gus is at the moment.

If we are talking about the quality of most of the football we played, Gus arguably produced the best football we have seen from a Brighton team. In terms of what he achieved with the tools he was given and what we won with him, he is still not the best manager we have had, that accolade would have to go to Mullery.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Coppell haha. He took us down and he didn't take over a relegated side and we were actually out the bottom 3 under him.

Did ok with what he had but that's it

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

no Mr Poyet

Brighton 3-0 Cristals

Sunderland 2-1 Newcastle

If Gus doesn't get the English game yet, then perhaps neither do I, on your reckoning.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I think most of us are watching with interest to see how our man is getting on at Sunderland. And although its early days, it seems very well so far. If he turns them around this season (and why not) then I think he will be on the radar of all the top European clubs. The next special one? Probably.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I was amazed to see Sunderland were around 9/1 to beat Citeh today. Disrepectful odds for a well-organised team that Gus has made them into. Wish I'd put them to win. I had a bet on a 1-1 draw. :down:

I wouldn't be surprised if they won the League Cup. Another home tie in the quarter-finals and with Chelsea stuttering at the moment, they've got a chance.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I dont think that it is case of people fawning over him but more like appreciating the good that he did for us which far out does his last petulant moments.

Those last petulant moments as you refer to them may well be what cost us promotion and the benefit of £100m plus!!!

Broady

Apr 17, 2011
I am quite glad he is doing well. Sunderland have always been up there with the likes of Stoke, Everton(Moyes era) and Mcleish's teams in terms of their watchability-or lack of for me.

At least Poyet being there and looking like he will get them to play a bit makes them more interesting.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton

no Mr Poyet

Brighton 3-0 Cristals

Sunderland 2-1 Newcastle

In terms of those matches being local derbies, they were big deals for the supporters. In terms of Poyet setting the team up as a manager and delivering on his instructions, beating a team that had scored 12 goals in its previous 2 matches and which has arguably the best strike partnership in the Premier League in recent weeks and preventing them from scoring when his own team had not kept a clean sheet in the league all season until today is a big achievement though and one which it is understandable if it provided him with a greater sense of satisfaction, especially when you also consider that had Sunderland lost, they could have found themselves bottom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here