Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Real Betis

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Rapidly becoming the Leon Knight of Management!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Gus? Loved him.....maybe proved wrong but thought he was great at times.......Good luck and i wish him well...we would not be where we are without him in many ways..
Nonsense
£100 million stadium and a £23 million wage budget would suggest it was always going to happen as well as the feel good factor.

He was an odious man who couldn't take criticism of any form...disrespected the club,fans and the chairman by opening his massive mouth time and time again with stupid comments.
As far as I'm concerned we're where we're because of tony bloom :)

We all have our opinions on him so all must be respected.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Nonsense
£100 million stadium and a £23 million wage budget would suggest it was always going to happen as well as the feel good factor.

He was an odious man who couldn't take criticism of any form...disrespected the club,fans and the chairman by opening his massive mouth time and time again with stupid comments.

No way we would have been promoted from League One without Gus, and with that success came everything else - more season ticket sales, better players (VICENTE) and created the idea that we are a club ready for the Premier League.

You can have the most amazing chairman - as we do - but that doesn't guarantee results!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
No way we would have been promoted from League One without Gus, and with that success came everything else - more season ticket sales, better players (VICENTE) and created the idea that we are a club ready for the Premier League.

You can have the most amazing chairman - as we do - but that doesn't guarantee results!
Of course we could have been promoted from league 1 without Gus.

3 managers do it every year :lolol:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Of course we could have been promoted from league 1 without Gus.

3 managers do it every year :lolol:

I guess you were in favour of us appointing Jim Gannon then?

Gus revolutionised how we played football, as we won League One because of his managerial skills, we would have started life at Falmer in League One (or maybe even League Two) without Gus.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
MA was the ideal manager for our period at Withdean but with The Amex nearing we needed a higher profile manager with aim and ambition and Gus filled that role. Having got us started on our climb to reach the prem we needed to go to the next step and find a manager who could successfully take us to The Premier, which we have now. The next manager will be the one who can consolidate us as a Premier club maybe CH, maybe not in a couple of years, but it is all a case of horses for courses. Gus did us well and we also helped him progress, so no animosity from me. Good luck to him I hope he can help Real Betis rise the league.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I guess you were in favour of us appointing Jim Gannon then?

Gus revolutionised how we played football, as we won League One because of his managerial skills, we would have started life at Falmer in League One (or maybe even League Two) without Gus.
What an absolute joke of a post.

Who said anything about appointing Jim Gannon, you fool ? :lolol:

The second paragraph is laughable as well. With Tony's backing and desire we would be exactly where we are today as another manager would have taken us up within the FOUR years ( 5 years including Gus' promotion season ) it has taken to get to this point.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

The second paragraph is laughable as well. With Tony's backing and desire we would be exactly where we are today as another manager would have taken us up within the FOUR years ( 5 years including Gus' promotion season ) it has taken to get to this point.

see nothing wrong with the post. Gannon was one of the names in the frame, when we went with Gus it was a leftfield choice. he was very good for a couple of seasons until his head and focus was turned by interest from other clubs (not especially bigger, but with relatively more success recently). there's no way to say we'd be in the position he left us with another manager, indeed as i recall we were pleasantly ahead on the 4-5 season plan by getting the playoffs. we played attractive, technical if ultimately dull football that became predictable. most the other mangers mooted at the time were either long ball merchants, unglamorous old-hands, or not done as well as expected.

in short we did well under Gus upto the last 3 months when it went sour.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

Money is no guarantee for success, you can have a fantastic owner and a huge fan base and get stuck in League One - just look at Sheffield United.

Desire? So the other 23 teams in the League didn't desire for success? If we hadn't of gone up the year we did - would we have had such a great feel good factor playing in front of 15,000 at the Amex in League One?

I didn't say we wouldn't have been promoted by now five years later, but we went up that year because of Gus and the way we played football and turned basically every side over, under another run of the mill boring manager we could have got stuck in League One and never been in the play offs for 3 of the last 4 years.

Well you didn't answer the question, were you in favour of Gannon? - This is the real question here.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Good luck Gus-hope you have a very long stay there.Can hear the heartfelt sigh of relief from the Trent End in Brum!

Sounds like he'll have his work cut out there. Betis II are about to be relegated to the FORTH level, the real wasteland of Spanish football, 18 regional leagues!

I hope he's got some decent players in the first team as he sure as hell doesn't in the stiffs!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Money is no guarantee for success, you can have a fantastic owner and a huge fan base and get stuck in League One - just look at Sheffield United.

Desire? So the other 23 teams in the League didn't desire for success? If we hadn't of gone up the year we did - would we have had such a great feel good factor playing in front of 15,000 at the Amex in League One?

I didn't say we wouldn't have been promoted by now five years later, but we went up that year because of Gus and the way we played football and turned basically every side over, under another run of the mill boring manager we could have got stuck in League One and never been in the play offs for 3 of the last 4 years.

Well you didn't answer the question, were you in favour of Gannon? - This is the real question here.

You've moved the goal posts haven't you ?

At no point have I said we would have gone up the same season that Gus took us up. Please follow the thread back and show me where I even implied this, let alone stated it.

My point ( which is apparently very hard to grasp as I've had this exact same discussion with another poster on another thread ) is that in the FIVE full seasons since Gus took charge, Tony would have appointed a manager who would have got us promoted. Now although I haven't spelled this out, it maybe, just maybe not have been the first one he appointed.

Seeing as you ask, I had no desire for Jim Gannon to he appointed, but of course he isn't the only football manager around is he ? :lolol:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Nonsense

Nail, head.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
You've moved the goal posts haven't you ?

At no point have I said we would have gone up the same season that Gus took us up. Please follow the thread back and show me where I even implied this, let alone stated it.

My point ( which is apparently very hard to grasp as I've had this exact same discussion with another poster on another thread ) is that in the FIVE full seasons since Gus took charge, Tony would have appointed a manager who would have got us promoted. Now although I haven't spelled this out, it maybe, just maybe not have been the first one he appointed.

Seeing as you ask, I had no desire for Jim Gannon to he appointed, but of course he isn't the only football manager around is he ? :lolol:

Maybe your point is hard to grasp as its not very clear?

You said 'Of course we could have been promoted from league 1 without Gus' therefore implying we could have been promoted anyway. If that's not what you meant please refer back to line 1 of this post.

I have full faith that TB would have appointed the right man - but still there is no guarantee that we would have been promoted, we probably would have been , but we will never know! As

Who knows - we could have got promoted with Gannon (back to the football league)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here