Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet says "the holiday fixtures are a disgrace". No Poyet - you are the disgrace

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
The gaping great highway that can be driven though that argument is that he actually has turned out to be right.

What argument? Why didn't he leave before then? Surely the idea was to get a well supported team, who was playing well, were solvent and playing in a great stadium, up to the next level. Nobody is deluded enough not to know that Sunderland aren't a bigger club. Let's see how well he does. Brighton are going through a sticky patch so if you want to desert them go ahead. Somehow I think you'll be back when things improve.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Fancy having to work twice in 48 hours, that must be a blow on their money.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Complaining about the holiday fixtures is hardly new (whether it be the number of games, or the distances expected to be covered in the short period, or just somehow setting them up as an excuse for potential failures), from Gus or any number of managers/players. Given the anger shown at what are increasingly common complaints over the last 10 years or so, your words of liking gus ring hollow.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ble-Christmas-schedule-favours-big-clubs.html (Koeman)
http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p...aal-latest-to-criticise-festive-fixtures.html (Van Gaal)
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...avelling-700-miles-in-three-days-9030101.html (Walters)
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...helsea-christmas-fixtures-more-difficult-than (Mourinho)
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pike-stays-positive-after-derby-loss-1-6492450 (Pike - It's not just the top professional having issue with it, non-league teams have complainers, too!)
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/4817600.Poyet_bemoans_fixture_schedule/ (Poyet 2009).

mostly foreign managers. It's part of our game.

Added to which the likes of Utd piss off half way around the world to play exhibition games during the season.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I am saying there was a noticeable difference in the quality of the 1st half and the 2nd half of that match and that was definitely a factor.

Was it? You know that for sure.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Crap.

These are supposedly athletes. The way they whinge really gets to me.

Years ago the games didn't suffer.
If tennis players took the same stance Wimbledon would last 6 weeks.

They are athletes, but even tennis players don't generally play a match every day in a Grand Slam. Same as Mo Farah doesn't tend to run the 10,000 metres twice on the same day. Massive difference between playing a high intensity football match covering 10 kilometres a match twice in 48 hours and playing 2 matches in the same amount of time ambling along the pitch for the Dog and Duck in the Peacehaven and District Pub League Division 7.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They are athletes, but even tennis players don't generally play a match every day in a Grand Slam. Same as Mo Farah doesn't tend to run the 10,000 metres twice on the same day. Massive difference between playing a high intensity football match covering 10 kilometres a match twice in 48 hours and playing 2 matches in the same amount of time ambling along the pitch for the Dog and Duck in the Peacehaven and District Pub League Division 7.

FFS. You'll be saying they are underpaid next.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
What argument? Why didn't he leave before then? Surely the idea was to get a well supported team, who was playing well, were solvent and playing in a great stadium, up to the next level. Nobody is deluded enough not to know that Sunderland aren't a bigger club. Let's see how well he does. Brighton are going through a sticky patch so if you want to desert them go ahead. Somehow I think you'll be back when things improve.
OOOH! A thumbs down! You're not Gus are you?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Hardly. Worth also pointing out that only 1 goal has been scored in the Premier League 3pm kick-offs so far today too which suggests there are a few teams not going at full pelt.

Ok. Birmingham struggled earlier didn't they.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I don't like any manager complaining about the Xmas schedule. Gus.has been here long enough now to know about it as player and manager. They have massive squads in the premier league for this reason, rotate some of the players.

Stop moaning and get on with it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I don't like any manager complaining about the Xmas schedule. Gus.has been here long enough now to know about it as player and manager. They have massive squads in the premier league for this reason, rotate some of the players.

Stop moaning and get on with it.

Is the correct answer.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Football is part of the entertainment industry these days and the wages have increased along with that.

Holiday events are part and parcel of that.

I understand the Pantomime season is pretty harsh this time of year as well.

So Gus if you don't the way in which the industry in this country that has paid you so well organises itself I suggest you find another or retire.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We should be playing this afternoon but fortunately the Met decided that Brighton going to Fulham & Palace going to QPR was a recipe for disaster, so our players have an extra 24 hours. It can get congested at Christmas/New Year.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Lots of football managers say this, and to be fair, they're professional football managers so they probably have a point.

Whether it MATTERS that fixture congestion affects performance is another matter - I personally reckon it does, as it means richer teams have a big advantage as they have greater squad depth.

This seems like just another excuse to have a pop at Gus... I think a lot of our fans rather hate him, than concede that losing him is one of the greatest mistakes in the history of the club.
You seem like a an obsessed man with gus as you've made him out to be awsome for us and he was far from that pal...sideways football with very few goals and so on.
How is it one of the greatest mistakes?
The cretin did nothing but feed his ego and disrespect the club,yes our football club that is bigger than any manager and any BHA fan must be stupid to not realise this...Did you want the club to beg him to stay and to give him £30 million to spend?:lolol:

FFS the man is a bloody **** and I never liked him throughout his stay here regardless of results...If he wasn't our manager most would've seen poyet as a complete utter prick under another club.

Just goes to show how gulliable fans are in football when you'd still have a manager back even after he slates your beloved club.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Lots of football managers say this, and to be fair, they're professional football managers so they probably have a point.

Whether it MATTERS that fixture congestion affects performance is another matter - I personally reckon it does, as it means richer teams have a big advantage as they have greater squad depth.

This seems like just another excuse to have a pop at Gus... I think a lot of our fans rather hate him, than concede that losing him is one of the greatest mistakes in the history of the club.

Gus wanted out and made it obvious. There was no way on God's earth we were going to keep him. It didn't matter what we offered him, he wanted a climb up the ladder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here