Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet pronunciation

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
In the Seagulls Player interview with Gus (part 2, halfway through) Gus explains how to pronounce his name. At the end of the day, he says he doesn't really mind, but he thinks the T at the end really ought to be pronounced. This contradicts the Wikipedia entry. Is anybody au fait with offering up an edit to Wikipedia to correct this common misconception that it should be pronounced in a French way? ...and let's do it his preferred way this afternoon when we start chanting "Gus PoyeT, my Lord".

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I'm sure he said the proper Uruguayan pronounciation rhymed with courgette.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Cidr'e not Cider..

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury

It seems a funny cross beetween that soft g and a Scottich CH. I think it's probably not wise to attempt that pronunciation if (like me) you aren't familiar with the language. (Mind you - a crowd of 20,000 ALL tring to pronounce it the Uruguayan way may help water the pitch!)

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Isn't it something like posh-ette...in Castillian Spanish, as spoken in most of South America.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004

in south american spanish Y is like SH (as is 'se' and 'll' from castellano).

i have no idea why people in the UK drop the T, there is no reason for this at all, he is not French.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
In the Seagulls Player interview with Gus (part 2, halfway through) Gus explains how to pronounce his name. At the end of the day, he says he doesn't really mind, but he thinks the T at the end really ought to be pronounced. This contradicts the Wikipedia entry. Is anybody au fait with offering up an edit to Wikipedia to correct this common misconception that it should be pronounced in a French way? ...and let's do it his preferred way this afternoon when we start chanting "Gus PoyeT, my Lord".

Is there a direct link to the player? If there is I can use it as the reference and correct the wiki entry.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Nobody would expect us to start calling him Pourshet and be completely correct.. but it would be good if we could actually pronounce the T.

Poyay is just plain wrong.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
La Gustavia el la poooooooooooooooooiyettttt.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Nobody would expect us to start calling him Pourshet and be completely correct.. but it would be good if we could actually pronounce the T.

Agreed.
PoyeT may not be right but at least it doesn't sound as silly as Poyay. I don't know how people still think that's his name anyway.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Having had a lonk for the video sent to me, it's a members only video, so I'm not sure if wikipedia will accpet it as a reference (I've asked on the talk page). Does anyone have a non-members only link that shows the correct pronounciation?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Agreed, but how do we get the singers to start singing 'Gus POYET my lord' instead of Gus Poyay?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here