• Out

Votes: 97 25.8%
  • Fence

Votes: 73 19.4%

• Total voters

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You are joking right? Hardly "knee jerk" as we have been shit for 10 months or more!

As always, the moaners are the loudest as they try to shout down the silent majority. The fact is, even given some knee jerk reactions to the game last night and that NSC is likely to have more moaners than average (as they are attracted to messageboards), more people want Gus in than out. However many times you moan and slag off Gus, this is a fact.

It seems to me every time someone posts a positive comment, you just question it over and over again. You don't rate Gus, fine that is your prerogative. I am not going to go into detail about everything he has done for the club as no doubt you will come back with some rubbish like any manager would have got us this far. However, it does get really boring after a while.

The problem with this forum is every defeat is the end of the world and should lead to the manager being sacked. Yesterday wasn't great but it wasn't as bad as people are saying. We weren't terrible, Watford were very good and look good odds for at least a play off place but don't let that get in the way of your irrational slagging off of Gus.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
On yesterday's performance NOT changing may get us relegated.

Seriously, why can't we give some credit to Watford. We played some decent stuff yesterday, especially in the first half, but the difference was that they took their chances. We won't play many teams as good as Watford for the rest of the season. We also won't get relegated (we need less than a point a game to stay up and will do comfortably).

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Defiantly think Poyet should stay. Changing managers during a season won't get us promoted. Consistency is the key and I think he will learn.

I think many people are beginning to think more along the lines of changing managers to keep us in this division! If the trend carries on like this, and with it being such a tight division this year, we could find ourselves in a relegation battle by February. By the way, I voted Gus out. Up until the game yesterday, I had every faith in Gus, but now my eyes have been opened to the real 'depth' of his managerial capabilities. He's easily got a squad capable of taking us up to the premiership, but he doesn't know what to do with it. Like so many others here have said, he's been found out, and the rest of this division now know our style, and how to counter it, and there's no plan B. As much as I love the guy, and appreciate where he has got us over the last few years (and he can't take ALL the credit for that, he's had a LOT of money to spend) I think it's now time for a more experienced manager to turn the players into a solid unit. Gus has taken us as far as he can, for which i'm eternally thankful for, but we have to set our sights higher, and sadly I don't think Gus is the right man for that, his lack of experience at this level is starting to show through.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
IN

I genuinely didn't think we were THAT bad yesterday.

The main difference was that they played the ball around much more quickly than us. When we do try and get the ball forward quickly, we look dangerous, so I don't know why we don't do it more often.

Watford also had some real creative quality in midfield. The lad on loan from Chelsea absolutely ran the show. If we can get a creative attacking midfield GENERAL in, then things will change, I'm sure. There's a lad called Vicente who, when fit, would be perfect. I wonder where he is?

Keep the Faith, as someone once said

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think many people are beginning to think more along the lines of changing managers to keep us in this division! If the trend carries on like this, and with it being such a tight division this year, we could find ourselves in a relegation battle by February.

This time last year we were 16th having just lost 2-0 to bottom club Coventry with a far worse performance than yesterday. We ended the season in 10th which is where we are now. We're quite a way from panicking about relegation, and Gus has experience of turning it around as last season shows.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
I think you have summed-up what is wrong, but you voted to keep him?

When we were promoted he bleeted on about needing stronger, quicker and better players to succeed in the Championship - with the exception of Buckley, where are they? All he gets are weedy little players who cannot hack it.

but look at teams that have got rid,most go into freefall,i think you need to give him more time,he has too strenghen,thats a given,
if he doesnt then we are going to struggle to stay in top half,

lets just see where we are end of season,dont need a knee jerk reaction,we are only a couple of new players from being a good team

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
This time last year we were 16th having just lost 2-0 to bottom club Coventry with a far worse performance than yesterday. We ended the season in 10th which is where we are now. We're quite a way from panicking about relegation, and Gus has experience of turning it around as last season shows.

Exactly. Can't believe the general over reaction on here. I genuinely don't think we will play many teams as good and on form as Watford for the rest of the season.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Definitely in.

He has worked miracles in just over 3 years to get us where we are. I find it ridiculous some want Gus out. Why are people so impatient these days, we have no divine right to be in the top 6.

What bullshit. "Worked miracles"? He got us promoted. I think you'll find that quite a few managers have done that in the history of the Football League.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
IN

I genuinely didn't think we were THAT bad yesterday.

The main difference was that they played the ball around much more quickly than us. When we do try and get the ball forward quickly, we look dangerous, so I don't know why we don't do it more often.

Watford also had some real creative quality in midfield. The lad on loan from Chelsea absolutely ran the show. If we can get a creative attacking midfield GENERAL in, then things will change, I'm sure. There's a lad called Vicente who, when fit, would be perfect. I wonder where he is?

Keep the Faith, as someone once said

A sensible, thought through post shining out through the despondency on here!

They took their chances, we'd have won if we converted our opening spell into a couple of goals. Still just one striker short of a top 6 side.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Exactly. Can't believe the general over reaction on here. I genuinely don't think we will play many teams as good and on form as Watford for the rest of the season.

The over reaction is always the same when we lose a game. It's the 'worse game I've ever seen' or the 'worst performance I've seen in years' I'm sure many fans suffer from short term memory loss.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What bullshit. "Worked miracles"? He got us promoted. I think you'll find that quite a few managers have done that in the history of the Football League.

It wasn't just promoted but promoted with a record number of points within 18 months of being in the relegation zone. All managers reach their sell by date at one point or another, but I don't think that Poyet has reached that point yet. We're in a better position now than we were 12 months ago.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

So you have forgotten how bad we were before Gus joined. Slade had done well to keep us up but then we lost 7-1 at Huddersfield and 4-2 at home to Stockport in a week and were in the bottom 4 of League 1 when Gus joined. So, while it may not quite have been a miracle to get us up, he took us from bottom 4 to champions with 4 games to go in a year and a half. That is pretty impressive surely even to someone who is desperate to slag him off.

It is always the same when people want managers out. Not only do they slag them off but they also belittle the achievements to somehow justify their point. Surely you can want the manager out now (which I definitely don't) and still accept that he has done a great job to get us where we are.

Feb 5, 2009
brighton
watford played very well last night,We played well in patches and i think once they scored there 2nd goal our players heads dropped and looked like they gave up.I really dont think getting rid of gus is the way forward.For me it looked like we lacked belief and passion to get back in the game.Imo i think we only need one or two players in in january to really pull the team together,But has to be players with some creativity and who is not afraid to shoot at goal.As much as i was dissapointed last night we were only poor last 15 minutes and i truly believe we will do alright second half of season.Even if we still didnt make make the play offs and finished 7th or 8th would it be that bad? improvement on last season

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Changing managers isn't any kind of golden ticket when you're on a poor run. Particularly when it's a poor run that is seen in the context of ...
- a division where anyone can beat anyone (see Cardiff v Peteborough for example)
- a January transfer window that could get the players in to make the difference
- yesterday apart there have been very few games where we have been second best or outplayed
- we're 10th and 3 points off 7th, with a game in hand
- a run of a few wins and all the negativity will be forgotten. We did it early in the season. We can do it again.
- history tends to suggest that managerial consistency and longevity yields better results over time than shipping out when things aren't going as well as you'd hoped

Yes, we have to improve, and Gus & Tanno need to find how to get their best from our squad, which is now underperforming. But they are best placed to do that, not getting somebody else in and expecting them to wave a magic wand.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton

what? Gus has the experience of turning it around as last season shows ? we won 3 games out of 16 towards the end of last season.

Last edited:

Mar 10, 2006
Fence - the worrying thing is that we look totally lost at the moment. No-one seems to be able to get hold of the situation and pull us out of the slump whether they are on or off the pitch. The players look disconnected and not as one while Gus and Tanno seem to have lost their mojo on the touchline.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
As always, the moaners are the loudest as they try to shout down the silent majority. The fact is, even given some knee jerk reactions to the game last night and that NSC is likely to have more moaners than average (as they are attracted to messageboards), more people want Gus in than out. However many times you moan and slag off Gus, this is a fact.

It seems to me every time someone posts a positive comment, you just question it over and over again. You don't rate Gus, fine that is your prerogative. I am not going to go into detail about everything he has done for the club as no doubt you will come back with some rubbish like any manager would have got us this far. However, it does get really boring after a while.

The problem with this forum is every defeat is the end of the world and should lead to the manager being sacked. Yesterday wasn't great but it wasn't as bad as people are saying. We weren't terrible, Watford were very good and look good odds for at least a play off place but don't let that get in the way of your irrational slagging off of Gus.

You, sir, are marvellous, and I agree very much with you

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Definitely leaning towards the fence at the moment, something I never thought I would ever say.

My biggest gripe is the tactics and lack of Plan B when things aren't going to plan. The slow tippy tappy, build up from the back style has been so sussed out by most managers. Despite claiming its a 4-3-3 formation, in reality its 4-5-1 with a hopelessly out of sorts CMS running around like a headless chicken, with no first or second touch whatsoever. The problems have been so apparent for some time now, but obstinately, Gus refuses to change the style of play.

If I were in Tony Blooms shoe's, I would be having a few sleepless nights regarding giving Gus a wad of cash to play with in the window. Its not unreasonable to say, many of Poyets purchases in the transfer market have been far from successful. Regarding CMS & Dobbie, I believe their lack of goals & form is down to the style of play that Gus rigidly insists on sticking to. These are two quality strikers, but as of yet, haven't really clicked.

It needs a spark, not to mention a big piece of luck to re-ignite the season. Many will point and say, "10th in the table, six points of a play off place", "Look how far we have come" etc. Fine, but but have we progressed any further from this time last year?

Talking of this time last year: It was around this time that JFC & Vicente started to make their mark. The pair were a breath of fresh air in Midfield. If stories at BHAFC's answer to Lord Lucan is almost back to fitness, could this be the magic spark & lift to ignite us away from the current slump? Providing he stays fit of course, which is always a risky bet.

JFC should NEVER have been allowed to go on loan to Oxford. In the few starts he had last season, he showed he was quality & ahead of his time. If you are good enough, your are old enough. I would put that down to a very poor decision from Gus, despite the request from JFC that he be loaned out.

Whatever, the whole form on the field has gone stale at the moment. The next month is going to prove interesting, both on & off the field. If things don't pick up, the heat will be seriously on both Gus Poyet & Tony Bloom. This is certainly Gus Poyets biggest challenge in the coming month to turn around the current slump.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here