Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet discussion on 5 Live now

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Well if that is a sample of how the club is going to be perceived on their handling of this issue then I am ok with it.
All these people who said the club would be a laughing stock in the way TB and PB have handled this, well I think that programme showed that just maybe we have shown how things will be in the future with FFP.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I am certainly not enjoying Poyet's demise but it has been evident for some while that he needed to be reigned in a tad. Modesty is an endearing feature but not a trait that Gus ever exhibited...sadly.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Who is actually enjoying it?

Have you really not seen the numerous comments on this forum along the lines of "crack out the champagne, the clueless buffoon is finally gone" etc?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have you really not seen the numerous comments on this forum along the lines of "crack out the champagne, the clueless buffoon is finally gone" etc?

About 3? Why would you get stressed, some hated everything about Gus but they were a very small minority

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis

Sid, thank you for that. As has been said before, Brighton are playing it by the book which is something that the League Manager's Association have been requesting for a long time. Anyone with an idea about the business side of football are beginning to realise that the days of hire and fire 'em on a whim are behind us.
I think if Venky's of Blackburn had a similar professional approach they might not be in the mess they are now.
The financial strength of the club and the well being of it's staff will ultimately decide the long term strength and success of the club.

If Brighton were offering shares they would be seen as a solid long term buy rather like West Brom and unlike Blackburn, Palace or Blackpool.
Today the only way to succeed is with a solid infrastructure, a large fan base and a good business model. No team without all three ingredients will sustain long success.
We are very fortunate that Tony Bloom's plan includes all those factors for our club.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
the point was made that the club is actually trying to apply employment law rigorously, which is something that the League Manager's Association has been requesting for some time.

This is the key point for me. It's very ironic, given the number of fans on NSC who've been bemoaning how harshly Gus has been treated, that it's now becoming clear that the club, almost uniquely to my knowledge, is dismissing a manager according to the strict letter of British employment law, going through all the steps of due process (suspension, hearing, decision, dismissal, appeal etc etc) rather than just sacking him overnight in peremptory fashion. So he is, actually, being treated more fairly than almost all other managers who've been dismissed in recent years, and exactly in line with what the LMA have been campaigning for in recent years. This is extremely professional on the part of the club both because it's treating one of its most senior employees with dignity and because it's protecting its own financial assets against compensation claims by going through all the hoops.

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013
Listening to the interview replayed confirmed something I thought at the time - Gus did indeed say that he wished to continue doing the job he had been doing up until 7.30. The reason that's particularly interesting is that it was clearly stated that the statement was printed off by the BBC during the first half and this was the absolute first Gus knew of it.

Kick off was 7.45

I rest my case your honour

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You have to admire the club for following employment law. That is a big feather in their cap. They stuck to the principle of treating Gus like any other employee. It has been a tough path to take, but they took it. They also recognise that football clubs like Brighton can't go about paying people off. If they aren't performing or if they are breaking the terms of their contract then they need to be held to account. Equally, each employee needs to be treated fairly. I wonder (and only Albion's HR department knows this) whether Gus was given any formal warnings for his Suarez comments or for his behaviour with Reading? It would certainly strengthen the club's case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here