Billy-Paynter.jpg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
David Burke joined in January 2012. His team have signed these players in the last 2 and a half years...

Kuz
Crofts
Bruno
Bridge (on loan)
Orlandi
Dobbie
Lopez
Hammond (on loan)

Ulloa
Upson (on loan/signed)

Ince

Agustien
Chicksen/Maksimenko
Walton
Ward (on loan)
Andrews (on loan)
Lingard (on loan)
Stephens

Obika/Lita/Rodriguez (on loan/short term contracts)

Toko
Hughes
O Grady

Good record or bad record...

Window closes on Sept 1st...

Last edited:

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Poyet vocalised problems he had with Burke from the start, from the Bergkamp signing. It's safe to say that a manager as vocal as Poyet would have a huge say in transfer activity, whereas Oscar was just a yes man - I think it's reasonable to assume the extremely poor transfer activity of last season was down to Burke.

Berkamp wasn't Burke's signing. I believe that was John Stephenson's.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
One of the biggest mistakes in the history of this football club, getting rid of Gus like we did. If we "gave in" to his demands, we would undoubtedly be a Premier League team by now.

If we gave in to his demands he would be manager of Reading.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Poyet vocalised problems he had with Burke from the start, from the Bergkamp signing.

Erm, wrong Director of Football (or whatever they are called) but good try

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Poyet is a footballing genius the like of which we may not see again. He will manage at the very top level for sure.

You are of course quite entitled to that opinion. I however think he was a disloyal prat. And who knows whether if it wasn't for his shenanigans in the play offs with Palarse we might be in the Prem right now.
The problem for us I guess is fans are fans and the Club always come first. Managers and players in the main think primarily of themselves with the understanding they need to perform to add value to their own status.
But it would be a dull and boring World if we all agreed. :smile:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Of course, there are also posters who any time there is criticism of burke for signings rush to let everyone know that managers have the final say (check out his appearance on the roar!), yet when managers are praised for signings they like to emphasise Burke's work. Swings and roundabouts.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Poyet vocalised problems he had with Burke from the start, from the Bergkamp signing.
If you're going to continue your unfounded dislike for Burke, could you please get your facts right before slating him?

I don't see how the "extremely poor transfer activity" of last season was down to Burke. We don't know, you don't know. So bloody stop pretending like you have any clue as to what is going on in the player recruitment department.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Would be interesting to compare money spent buying on players vs money gained by selling. With Bridcut on free(?) and Ulloa for 2m we must of gained 8m on just two players.

Perhaps the club should buy more!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The problem with discussing this stuff as fans is that none of us really know the process of signing a player - from scouting them in the beginning to getting their signature at the end.

I'd like to know what Poyet was doing differently, if at all. I'm pretty sure that he's not going to games watching these players initially so they need to come from tip offs either from scouts or agents. Is it that Poyet has his own little network that he takes with him wherever he goes? (I'm sure that is true for every manager to some extent)
Was Poyet just better at picking the players that were presented to him by Burke? (remember that Burke manages the scouts)

Or are we just a slave to the budget and had Poyet stuck around for another season the quality of "his" signings would've naturally dropped because of FFP.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
One of the biggest mistakes in the history of this football club, getting rid of Gus like we did. If we "gave in" to his demands, we would undoubtedly be a Premier League team by now.

If we continued funding Gus's 40% playing budget increase year-on-year we may have been premier league by now but we would have definitely been bust :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here