Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet - baffled

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Withdean Wanderer's got a point. Just because someone questions something, doesn't mean they're moaning about it or insisting the manager doesn't know what he's doing.
It does a bit.
I don't get why people are so defensive about someone posing a question.
Because it's a loaded question. Why are you so stupid? (would be an example)
Billy Paynter was the prime example of this. The majority of us could not any sort of redeeming quality from him on the pitch, yet Gus persisted with playing him and defended his decision to do so.
Just like Gus persisted with playing El Abd when we knew he was no better than an average league 1 defender.

When you try something, and it doesn't work, that doesn't mean you were wrong to try. It also doesn't mean you should never try the same thing again, it takes time for for players to learn a system etc. And when you learn from the consequences, it doesn't mean you're a young manager learning the trade or that you got it wrong, it can also mean you're learning about the capabilities of the players, which any manager, no matter how good, needs to learn.

Fair enough but that doesn't mean everyone should just swallow it and start believing he was right to do so.
Fans can believe what they like. Hell they can even slag off the manager and the players, but that's going to bad for the club. Do you think it's good for the club that Barnes feels the fans don't support him, and that Gus thinks the fans don't trust his judgement? It's not. We want the players to give everything on the pitch. And when other clubs try to take our players and manager, we want them to feel they'd rather be here, in a club where they're loved.

So when we get whingers here, who think they're oh so clever, I don't support them.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Thing is, Reyes was being done time and time again for pace yesterday, Barnes offered no protection for him at all...ah, frustrating.

Hopefully he'll get the team right on Tuesday night. It'd be nice to see a bit of positivity in the midfield selection in particular.

I don't want to respect Blackpool that much because I think they had a good day rather than being a better team. But Crainey had to be watched. Give their left back a chance to come forward and beware! Shouldn't Bridcutt double up? I wasn't at Blackpool so I could not see what was going on. I saw it happening in advance though.

Liverpool v Stoke and Caroll was all over the park playing the Barnes deeper and wider role. Liverpool won, but they were still not getting behind the Stoke defence wide on the wings.

In away games, I think we have to scout the opposition and beware of their danger players. At home, let the the opposition worry about fortress Amex.

Last edited:

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
It does a bit.
Because it's a loaded question. Why are you so stupid? (would be an example)
Just like Gus persisted with playing El Abd when we knew he was no better than an average league 1 defender.

When you try something, and it doesn't work, that doesn't mean you were wrong to try. It also doesn't mean you should never try the same thing again, it takes time for for players to learn a system etc. And when you learn from the consequences, it doesn't mean you're a young manager learning the trade or that you got it wrong, it can also mean you're learning about the capabilities of the players, which any manager, no matter how good, needs to learn.

Fans can believe what they like. Hell they can even slag off the manager and the players, but that's going to bad for the club. Do you think it's good for the club that Barnes feels the fans don't support him, and that Gus thinks the fans don't trust his judgement? It's not. We want the players to give everything on the pitch. And when other clubs try to take our players and manager, we want them to feel they'd rather be here, in a club where they're loved.

So when we get whingers here, who think they're oh so clever, I don't support them.

Super post

Dec 29, 2011
give me your number, ill pass it on to tony and put in a good word for you:shootself
Why the flippant reply? He's asking valid questions don't be a dick.
Don't think any of those question's need to be asked really. We are 8th in the Championship with 9 games to play.
Again, a silly response. Who's to say WW's ideas wouldn't propel up further up the table? Yes, 8th is very good for a first season, but I too would like to know the answers to some of the questions. Barnes is not a wide man, it's simple, why does he play there when KLL and Buckley are on the bench.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
1) Why play Barnes as a wideman? Virtually anonymous yesterday, both defensively and going forward. He spent the entire game out wide until Buckley (eventually!) came on. His main attributes are surely his knack of goalscoring and ability to put in a decent shift of defensive work too. But, if we're creating nothing and chasing a game, Buckey is surely the man. If you do have to play Barnes in a midfield role, play him on the left (which has worked well a lot of the time this season) and make sure we have some creative/attacking intent on the right.

2) Kazenga. What the hell has he done wrong? I didn't go to Hull, but can only assume he had a shocker, as we've barely seen him since? Must be crap in training. Granted the sending off screwed us over in terms of subs yesterday, but it's still very odd that he's so rarely been seen.

3) Been said before, but why is he against the idea of CMS and Vokes? Is it just because he doesn't want the temptation of us playing the ball long every now and then, and thus going against Poyet's views of how football should be played? Seems crazy really, spend major money on a front man and take him off after an hour each week.

4) Subs. Any danger of him making changes a bit earlier than the hour mark when we're struggling? Blackpool bossed the game yesterday from the 10th minute onwards, very odd that he didn't make changes at all at half time.

All a bit strange really. Yes he's a young manager and still learning, yes it's been a great season so far, but these particular issues are frustrating to say the least.

Love the way you only post after we lose a game.

MurrayGulliver

Nov 14, 2011
Portslade
I think the main reason he doesn't always start with KLL is his injury record this season. Also Barnes puts in more of a shift. Barnes best role is just behind the striker to link up play.

I don't want to respect Blackpool that much because I think they had a good day rather than being a better team. But Crainey had to be watched. Give their left back a chance to come forward and beware! Shouldn't Bridcutt double up? I wasn't at Blackpool so I could not see what was going on. I saw it happening in advance though.

Liverpool v Stoke and Caroll was all over the park playing the Barnes deeper and wider role. Liverpool won, but they were still not getting behind the Stoke defence wide on the wings.

In away games, I think we have to scout the opposition and beware of their danger players. At home, let the the opposition worry about fortress Amex.

Spooky - have you got next Saturdays lottery numbers by any chance ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Who's to say WW's ideas wouldn't propel up further up the table?
Me. There's a bit more to managing a team than just picking a few players, otherwise we'd all be able to do it.
Barnes is not a wide man, it's simple, why does he play there when KLL and Buckley are on the bench.
Because Barnes offers something that KLL and Buckley don't offer. Since when did we have to have two wide players on the pitch?

There's only two possible answers to this puzzle:
1) Gus is a complete idiot, because despite spending all week working with these players, he's worse at picking the team than the fans
2) The fans are wrong

I'm constantly amazed by football fans.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
1) Why play Barnes as a wideman? Virtually anonymous yesterday, both defensively and going forward. He spent the entire game out wide until Buckley (eventually!) came on. His main attributes are surely his knack of goalscoring and ability to put in a decent shift of defensive work too. But, if we're creating nothing and chasing a game, Buckey is surely the man. If you do have to play Barnes in a midfield role, play him on the left (which has worked well a lot of the time this season) and make sure we have some creative/attacking intent on the right.

2) Kazenga. What the hell has he done wrong? I didn't go to Hull, but can only assume he had a shocker, as we've barely seen him since? Must be crap in training. Granted the sending off screwed us over in terms of subs yesterday, but it's still very odd that he's so rarely been seen.

3) Been said before, but why is he against the idea of CMS and Vokes? Is it just because he doesn't want the temptation of us playing the ball long every now and then, and thus going against Poyet's views of how football should be played? Seems crazy really, spend major money on a front man and take him off after an hour each week.

4) Subs. Any danger of him making changes a bit earlier than the hour mark when we're struggling? Blackpool bossed the game yesterday from the 10th minute onwards, very odd that he didn't make changes at all at half time.

All a bit strange really. Yes he's a young manager and still learning, yes it's been a great season so far, but these particular issues are frustrating to say the least.

1. 4-3-3 works for him is why, it allows a 2nd defensive midfield player and has resulted in our fine defensive record. To accommodate CMS, Barnes needs to play wide

2. Don't see the clamour for Lua Lua myself, he has shown flashes mostly from the bench but I would not pick him over Noone on form currently and clearly Poyet won't either. Noone doesnt look comfortable on the right and Lua Lua is not going to suit playing there either...

3. This one is simple, he doesn't want to play 4-4-2, he feels rightly or wrongly that we would be overun in midfield and therefore he doesn't play that formation. He is the Manager and that is his perogative. I too think it is strange at home at least, having 2 DM's in the side, but you cannot argue with the results...

4. Fairly common practice to give it 10-15 mins after HT to make changes, knocks surface during the break (People stiffen up etc.) and if you make changes you can suddenly find yourself in hot water if you have gone for a Mourhinho style treble change at the break

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Trust Gus. We are emerging from the darkness now, but don't worry, you'll soon be fully enlightened!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Me. There's a bit more to managing a team than just picking a few players, otherwise we'd all be able to do it.
Because Barnes offers something that KLL and Buckley don't offer. Since when did we have to have two wide players on the pitch?

There's only two possible answers to this puzzle:
1) Gus is a complete idiot, because despite spending all week working with these players, he's worse at picking the team than the fans
2) The fans are wrong

I'm constantly amazed by football fans.

Gus sees the players SO MUCH MORE than us. I love the idea that people asking these questions genuinely don't think Gus has spent HOURS considering/trying them himself.

It's like if I saw my mum knitting something, I'd be thinking "why doesn't she knit like this, or use that colour there?"

I'll tell you why; she knows a SHITLOAD more about knitting than me.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to close down debate, but why the bizarre assumption that Gus hasn't thought these things through? It's SO easy to manage from a vantage point in WSU. Gus is doing a f***ing amazing job.

Barnes has been very good in that position all season, so he's a bizarre one to go after.

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Maybe I'm old fashioned but I thought the plan was going to be this:- Someone runs down the wing, crosses the ball, Vokes knocks it down to a waiting CMS. End of.

Hmmm,I thought that the idea of signing Vokes was to play him with CMS.How wrong can I be!
Didn't Gus say 'perhaps he(Vokes) is the one to play with CMS' or words to that effect?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I find nothing wrong with sensible debate about the manager's tactics and ideas,after all this is a football fans forum.It would be very dull if we all just accepted what was done without question.
Opinions are what NSC should be all about,whether it is about football,politics,sex or anything else that takes our collective fancy.
People without opinions are often very dull.We may agree with what is being said or we may not,but at least it starts a discussion.
Do we just accept what a Government or Opposition Party says because they are professional politicians and should know better than us what is best for the country?No of course we don't.Not quite the same as the football manager and his tactics,but the point I am trying to make is we all have opinions on all kinds of things,thank God!

D

Deleted User X18H

He said this morning at press he would like to play CMS and Vokes together before the end of the season.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He said this morning at press he would like to play CMS and Vokes together before the end of the season.

Barnsley away when we are battling for 8th spot then :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here