Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet as possible manager

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Hugely successful at Brighton, yes, but it'd be interesting to see how much of a revolution his tactics and coaching would appear to an already established Premier League club. The improvement in some average League One players under his tutelage was immense but with footballers who are already technically strong, it's hard to see how he'd effect such a great improvement. His tactical approach would consequently be even more important. But, again, being comfortable on the ball is hardly revolutionary in the top flight and there are bigger clubs that will always do it better. And the inability to transform a losing position into a winning one for two whole seasons raises serious questions.

Overall, I'm sure he'd build a solid Premier League team but gradually and with a style of play that the fans need to buy into. Patience required - a luxury that won't be so easy to come by at the top level.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It really isn't. I don't think it was an accident that we almost never lost when we went in front and never won when we went behind in the latter years. Oddly Gus DID have several plans in his first couple of seasons but as the stakes increased he played it more and more safely.

We didn't lose a game where we scored first, so he knows how to hang onto a lead. That doesn't get repeated as much as the negatives.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But its true, surely? Only once coming from behind to win a game in two years. By definition Gus had no plan B (if plan A was possession football, score first, more possession football)..

How many games in that two years did we actually go behind?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Fulham have a much better set of players who could play how he wants.

He won't ever get you as high as 9th, but football (only at home) would be great for you to watch.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
But its true, surely? Only once coming from behind to win a game in two years. By definition Gus had no plan B (if plan A was possession football, score first, more possession football)..

It's used a lot but I'm not sure what the norm is. I assume teams going behind generally do lose? Also believe that a team can go behind and the Manager changes things around and they still lose.

I thought his game was predictable at times and his failure to make knee jerk reactions did frustrate but such is the nature of a fan. Oscar showed on Saturday that no one is perfect.

He'd do well at Fulham

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We didn't lose a game where we scored first, so he knows how to hang onto a lead. That doesn't get repeated as much as the negatives.

Yes we did. We scored first against Palace in the first season at the Amex. Also my first sentence stated that we almost never did. Gus was a good manager and he got us to 4th in the championship which was no fluke. However, by his own admission, he only wanted us to play one way.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

Exactly. Plan A, score first then play counter attacking football. Plan B, if other team score first, don't make substitutions until it's too late and occasionally sneak a draw.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
When Poyet came to Brighton he changed a lot of players.

Adam El Abd- He was a very average league one centre back who liked to hoof it up the pitch, now he's a very decent championship centre back who's just unfortunate that he's gotta compete with Matty Upson every week otherwise he'd be starting week in week out.

Andrew Crofts- Free signing from Gillingham (I think), made Croftsy our captain, a real fighter, then moved onto a successive championship season with Norwich then playing 20/30 games in the Premier League.

Liam Bridcutt- A free signing from Stockport who has benefited under Poyet dramatically, now possibly the best defensive midfielder in the Championship, only young and I can see him playing for a top 6 side in the premier league one day.

Poyet was a great manager, but until he got speculated with 3/4 premier league sides it went to his head and I think he started to lose interest in managing us, although he done a class job here, the club also done a lot for Poyet.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
I'm a Fulham supporter living in Brighton. There's a lot of speculation among our fans and on the messageboards about the prospect of Jol getting sacked and Poyet stepping in. A lot of my Albion supporting mates reckon he was a good manager but something went very very wrong at the end. I'm also dubious about the way he defended Suarez.
Please enlighten me:
- what was he like as a coach, tactician and motivator?
- what were his plus and minus points?
- was it him who laid an egg in the Eagles' dressing room?

Thanks, and I'm hoping we make your evening on 21st October when we get 3 points at Selhurst Park.

Something did go very very wrong. We thank your board for that, by the way. When Gus finally goes to Fulham, I'm sure he'll do a decent job.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes we did. We scored first against Palace in the first season at the Amex. Also my first sentence stated that we almost never did. Gus was a good manager and he got us to 4th in the championship which was no fluke. However, by his own admission, he only wanted us to play one way.
That was nearly two years ago, playing a game within 48 hours of a cup tie with Liverpool, and conceding goals in the last few minutes from tiredness.
Last season we didn't lose a game where we scored first. It's just as valid.

Exactly. Plan A, score first then play counter attacking football. Plan B, if other team score first, don't make substitutions until it's too late and occasionally sneak a draw.

Ipswich scored first last Saturday, and Oscar tried to switch formation but couldn't manage a draw.

OSRGull - Bridcutt was a free agent having been released from Chelsea. He had a trial at Palace and was rejected.

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I wish he'd get another job so that we don't have this continuous queue of fans from managerless clubs asking us what we think of him.

@Bozza can we agree some sort of NSC statement similar to the "I refer the honourable member to the answer I gave some moments ago"

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
A rigid adherence to Plan A got us to 4th in the championship - and it would have got us automatic if the red-tape hadn't stopped us signing Ulloa earlier.

I find it hard to believe that ****ing around with plans b, c and d could have made us better, more likely would have made us worse. This ain't championship manager.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

You could argue that you don't need a plan B when plan A is so effective, and the results show that it was effective. Nobody is slagging gus off here, it's just an observation of his strengths and weaknesses.

*Edit* Just to add, I think the higher up the pyramid he goes the more he'll have to find different ways of playing. Other teams and managers will be good enough to nullify his tactics.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
No it's not. Give me examples of how the style changed during the course of a match.

I'm not talking about players or formations, I'm talking more about the tempo and how far back or forward the team plays. It's all very one paced.

there was indeed a lack of dynamism in his tactics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here