Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet a strong candidate for Stoke

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Would love to watch the first training session under Gus.

This is a football, see how it moves along the grass. It is happy there, it likes it there, that's it's home. Now pass the ball, and keep passing it until I tell you to stop.
Ok lets all turn round and face the goalkeeper because that is where the ball will go once we kick off. If we get a free kick don't forget to pass it backwards and we will only start putting the ball into the opponents box after the 70th minute unless we are lucky enough to score before then and in that case we will keep the ball in our half for the rest of the game. If we go behind don't worry nothing changes we continue as we were and hopefully something will happen. If not we lose or draw,but we will have had a moral victory with 70% of the ball.
Yes we had a good season, but without a plan B Gus will get slaughtered in the prem. Teams break a lot quicker and top managers will push Gus so far back that they will all be on the goal line. Oh wait, that's what happened at home against Palace with Ulloa playing in midfield and no -one up front until Barnes came on to join him. I think Gus leaving could be a blessing in disguise and that whoever replaces him will have more tactical nous, but will still play attractive football when possible. Lets hope Tony has a gem up his sleeve. Thanks Gus but it was not the club that hit the roof it was you.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Ok lets all turn round and face the goalkeeper because that is where the ball will go once we kick off. If we get a free kick don't forget to pass it backwards and we will only start putting the ball into the opponents box after the 70th minute unless we are lucky enough to score before then and in that case we will keep the ball in our half for the rest of the game. If we go behind don't worry nothing changes we continue as we were and hopefully something will happen. If not we lose or draw,but we will have had a moral victory with 70% of the ball.
Yes we had a good season, but without a plan B Gus will get slaughtered in the prem. Teams break a lot quicker and top managers will push Gus so far back that they will all be on the goal line. Oh wait, that's what happened at home against Palace with Ulloa playing in midfield and no -one up front until Barnes came on to join him. I think Gus leaving could be a blessing in disguise and that whoever replaces him will have more tactical nous, but will still play attractive football when possible. Lets hope Tony has a gem up his sleeve. Thanks Gus but it was not the club that hit the roof it was you.

I think up to a point you are right. HOWEVER in my view Gus was learning all the time. I personally think our growth and his growth are aligned and that is the way it should have stayed, but sadly personalities got involved and that has had to end it.

If Gus makes the right move, I would suggest Fulham, Leicester, QPR, Newcastle would be better bets for him than Stoke I believe he will flourish after a season of adapting.

The issue he will face will be expectation. He has been able to build our club alongside the board and fans expectations. Will he get more than six months to do this at most clubs? I really hope so, because I believe he could be a top top manager at a big club one day. But he will need time at any new club. They will need to stick with him for a season plus to see this come through and it seems Premiership chairmen don't have much patience. Quite a few promising careers have been cut short by chairman getting scared of falling out of the premiership. He needs to get through that inevitable difficult patch unscathed.

I wish he had stayed with us, as I think that would have suited his career for at least another season. But I understand the reasons he is going though. I still believe he will progress and one day prove to be a great manager for a big club.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
would be a very difficult move for him, the players arent at all used to his type of football and would see him struggleing to keep them up as he tries to change them and bring in his player.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think up to a point you are right. HOWEVER in my view Gus was learning all the time. I personally think our growth and his growth are aligned and that is the way it should have stayed, but sadly personalities got involved and that has had to end it.

If Gus makes the right move, I would suggest Fulham, Leicester, QPR, Newcastle would be better bets for him than Stoke I believe he will flourish after a season of adapting.

The issue he will face will be expectation. He has been able to build our club alongside the board and fans expectations. Will he get more than six months to do this at most clubs? I really hope so, because I believe he could be a top top manager at a big club one day. But he will need time at any new club. They will need to stick with him for a season plus to see this come through and it seems Premiership chairmen don't have much patience. Quite a few promising careers have been cut short by chairman getting scared of falling out of the premiership. He needs to get through that inevitable difficult patch unscathed.

I wish he had stayed with us, as I think that would have suited his career for at least another season. But I understand the reasons he is going though. I still believe he will progress and one day prove to be a great manager for a big club.

I remain to be convinced that he has the credentials to manage at a ' big club ' It amazes me that he is being linked with almost every job going in the PL. Maybe its all down to the masterful PR job that he has been doing on his behalf.
We all know the positives with Gus...upbeat, confident, charismatic, media friendly and plays a good style of football. But you need more than that to succeed at the highest level.
Can you actually put your hand on your heart and say that there are clear signs of Gus improving as a manager. Is he any different from where he was 12 months ago?
He employed exactly the same rigid tactics as he did last season. We had a much better squad of players this season than last and that was the difference between 10th and 4th. We still experienced the same pattern of peaks and troughs as last season and still failed to come from behind to win a game of football. We were cautious far too often and this resulted in too many draws.
So the same failings were there this season as last. So where is the improvement? Where is the learning?
Has he got the ' feel ' that a lot of top managers have got. Recognising and feeling when something isn't working and acting quickly to change it. Not sitting back hoping for change and allowing yourself to be dictated to by events.
Can he be brave enough when bravery is called for and has he actually got the nous, the innate ability to think on his feet during a game and make game-changing decisions. There are smarter cookies than Ian Holloway at PL level and he had no trouble outsmarting Gus.
I remain to be convinced.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
GUS POYET wants a swift conclusion to his dispute with Brighton — because he may miss out on the Stoke job.
The suspended Seagulls boss is one of several candidates touted to succeed the axed Tony Pulis.
Poyet hopes to talk to the Potters and new technical director Mark Cartwright regards him highly.
The situation is complicated by his row over comments made after Brighton’s Championship play-off defeat by Crystal Palace.
A source said: “He would like a conclusion at Brighton so he and the club can move forward.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...oke-City-job-in-the-offing.html#ixzz2U6GYbaAV

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Outgoing Stoke manager Tony Pulis has backed chairman Peter Coates’ decision to take the club in a “different direction.”

Pulis also admitted his disappointment at being shown the door after seven years in charge at the Britannia Stadium, and thanked the Potters' fans for being part of a “wonderful adventure.”

Stoke want to put a new managerial structure in place, which will involve a head coach working alongside their technical director, Mark Cartwright.

We understand Cartwright is championing Brighton manager Gus Poyet to replace Pulis, but moves have been held up because the Uruguayan is currently suspended by the Championship club, leaving his future in limbo.

Stoke would also like to speak to Wigan manager Roberto Martinez, whose future is in doubt following Latics' relegation to the Championship.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/next-stoke-manager-gus-poyet-1905238#ixzz2U6Gwzeae

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Outgoing Stoke manager Tony Pulis has backed chairman Peter Coates’ decision to take the club in a “different direction.”

Pulis also admitted his disappointment at being shown the door after seven years in charge at the Britannia Stadium, and thanked the Potters' fans for being part of a “wonderful adventure.”

Stoke want to put a new managerial structure in place, which will involve a head coach working alongside their technical director, Mark Cartwright.

We understand Cartwright is championing Brighton manager Gus Poyet to replace Pulis, but moves have been held up because the Uruguayan is currently suspended by the Championship club, leaving his future in limbo.

Stoke would also like to speak to Wigan manager Roberto Martinez, whose future is in doubt following Latics' relegation to the Championship.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/next-stoke-manager-gus-poyet-1905238#ixzz2U6Gwzeae

That's the same Mark Cartwright who played for us. He came on as a second half sub during Kuipers' debut didn't he?

D

Deleted member 22389

Please god can poyet get the stoke job and take them down:)

I hope he gets the Stoke job, I hope he does well for them. Think the Poyet chapter on Brighton will be coming to a close soon, we can get a new manager in and move on.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Looks like Mark Hughes is the front runner for the Stoke job.

Those poor Stoke fans just can't catch a break can they :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here