Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Power of Attorney

Nostalgia2

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
Looking into this, seems to vary enormously in price, also cover for finance and or health? anyone know much about this any advice? Wanting p of a for me and my wife.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Looking into this, seems to vary enormously in price, also cover for finance and or health? anyone know much about this any advice? Wanting p of a for me and my wife.

On line on the gov.uk site. 84 quid fee and easy to complete. Needs a lot of coordination with signatures and the
right order of signatures (donor. attorneys, witnesses etc), but the form took me an hour to complete tops.

You need to first create an account.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
On line on the gov.uk site. 84 quid fee and easy to complete. Needs a lot of coordination with signatures and the
right order of signatures (donor. attorneys, witnesses etc), but the form took me an hour to complete tops.

You need to first create an account.

I did mine for for finance (not health and welfare)

Just done this for 2 relatives - health & welfare plus property & financial affairs for each of them so 4 in total.

Cost £82 each - no need to use a solicitor - all applied for online https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney then need to print off 20 pages for each PoA and get them signed in the right order - you need a Certificate Provider who acts as an independent person to ensure no-one is being taken advantage of.

When signed post off and then wait 8-10 weeks before registered..

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

We went here for Ma in Law http://www.thywill.co.uk/ they did the job and price was reasonable as far as I remember. If they were better or worse than elsewhere I can't tell you but it all got doing very easily

We didn't do health as she was in a care home and we didn't really see the point.

Finance is a bit of a faff with some institutions(getting them to accept it) but they get there eventually. If you are giving POA to others bear in mind they can do pretty well much as they please. Personally I wouldn't give it unless I felt incapable of looking after my own affairs, although the risk is you may not recognise when that is

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Make sure the Attorney is a bit younger than you or the wife otherwise they may go first. Think carefully about doing it for each other without a back up in case you both start to lose your faculties at the same time.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I've just got the last of my parents' POAs sent back registered to me - 20 weeks after sending them off and that was without any issues so don't delay.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Don’t pay a solicitor for this. It is easy to do direct on line. I have both financial and health POAs for my mother and My step dad. Just as well as he now has dementia and I am having shitloads to deal with (Finding care and selling his assets to raise funding) that no one else in the family would have been capable of. It’s a lot of responsibility but life would have been even harder had I not got the POAs when I did.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We went here for Ma in Law http://www.thywill.co.uk/ they did the job and price was reasonable as far as I remember. If they were better or worse than elsewhere I can't tell you but it all got doing very easily

We didn't do health as she was in a care home and we didn't really see the point.

Finance is a bit of a faff with some institutions(getting them to accept it) but they get there eventually. If you are giving POA to others bear in mind they can do pretty well much as they please. Personally I wouldn't give it unless I felt incapable of looking after my own affairs, although the risk is you may not recognise when that is

If you become incapable of looking after your own affairs you are probably too late to sign one. At the end of the day you need to trust implicitly the person(S) to whom you grant it.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Just started doing this for my old man, did it myself online, just paid the £80-odd government fee

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The health and welfare is important as there may be decisions that need to be taken that suddenly you are incapable of making yourself.

Aye totally agree....often people dont bother with that side of things...very helpful if for instance a parent starts to suffer from as an example dementia

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I never want to hear or read those three letters again in my life! If you’ve not done for your kids, do it now before you become an old aged git, demented and frankly utterly irresponsible because you believe things will happen in a nice simple, uncomplicated and clockwork order when they totally won’t. Because one day you will probably be all these things, especially with life extending (but not quality) medicines, and the resulting mess you bring into your children’s lives can ruin theirs. Everyone thinks they’re going to die as a sweet old granny or man in their sleep with family sat around the bed all chewing on a wethers original after a short illness. Not demented, belligerent, irrational, uncooperative, incapacitated, depressed, bereaved old drunkards, living as such for years and consequently the capacity to tear their remaining family’s lives apart, whilst the state and family can do nothing to intervene without one. If you’ve children, of any age, and you’ve not done a POA and made a Will, then you are a total **** and need your arse kicking all the way down to the solicitors until you’ve done them. I’d make it mandatory, like registering a birth or death. Everyone should have.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Use the .Gov site. It's easy. Don't get ripped off using a solicitor or other dodgy website, but you do have to think carefully about what you want, and have backups in case anything happens to the original nominee.
Just do it.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I never want to hear or read those three letters again in my life! If you’ve not done for your kids, do it now before you become an old aged git, demented and frankly utterly irresponsible because you believe things will happen in a nice simple, uncomplicated and clockwork order when they totally won’t. Because one day you will probably be all these things, especially with life extending (but not quality) medicines, and the resulting mess you bring into your children’s lives can ruin theirs. Everyone thinks they’re going to die as a sweet old granny or man in their sleep with family sat around the bed all chewing on a wethers original after a short illness. Not demented, belligerent, irrational, uncooperative, incapacitated, depressed, bereaved old drunkards, living as such for years and consequently the capacity to tear their remaining family’s lives apart, whilst the state and family can do nothing to intervene without one. If you’ve children, of any age, and you’ve not done a POA and made a Will, then you are a total **** and need your arse kicking all the way down to the solicitors until you’ve done them. I’d make it mandatory, like registering a birth or death. Everyone should have.
Very very very this.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

I work in financial services this 100 times over.

I am currently writing a paper to our board to try and help our non advised customers in setting up a PoA once they enter pension drawdown.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Another vote for doing it yourself via the .gov site. We have done both finance and health. The health one only kicks in when it is needed so worth having as a precaution.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here