Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter's tactics against Newcastle?

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I think you're right, we had a few more gears to go in but didn't really need to, chasing the game would have been interesting.

I think we created 4 big chances against Newcastle (Moder 2, Maupay 2) which is quite low for us (Tross & Welbeck goals were individual brilliance). Back to the Sheff Utd home game, I've got it down as 8 big chances (Connolly 2, Maupay 2, Webster 1, Welbeck 1, Tross 1, AJ 1) but countless more shots go in at range with a number of deflections that fall perfectly for Sheff Utd. (none of this walking it into the net myth).

I get that Potter did very well to lure the Newcastle defence out of their parked bus but Sheff Utd would have been at least a 4-1 victory with Premier League level finishing from us: https://youtu.be/MtK8RhsBQk4

Agreed. Maupay should have scored early doors against Sheffield unit but nearly all the other chances in open play came after 80 mins when we started to overload the wide areas. Against Newcastle, Moder's chance was probably the easiest. The point I'm trying to get across is that from the first minute we looked to overload the wide areas, expecting Newcastle to sit. We didn't do that against Sheffield United until late in the game. Regardless, we should have won both games but the manner in which we approached this one suggests we've got a stronger plan for when teams sit. Encouraging.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If anyone finds an article or podcast explaining the wizardry that Potter performed with his tactics then please share it.

Myself, Steve Bruce and the Newcastle defence are still trying to work it out.

MOTD showed a graphic of a few occasions when Welbeck was wide left, Maupay was wide right, with Moder arriving late in the middle.
It was clearly a masterclass but it has still left me struggling to understand what the hell was happening and who was supposed to be doing what.

One highlight of the evening was when Dubravka took time to get treatment and the camera focused on Steve Bruce, Graeme Jones and the Newcastle players trying to fathom out who should be doing what.

I believe this is what you had in mind:-

[tweet]1373766051872305155[/tweet]

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
. Back to the Sheff Utd home game, I've got it down as 8 big chances (Connolly 2, Maupay 2, Webster 1, Welbeck 1, Tross 1, AJ 1) but countless more shots go in at range with a number of deflections that fall perfectly for Sheff Utd. (none of this walking it into the net myth).

I get that Potter did very well to lure the Newcastle defence out of their parked bus but Sheff Utd would have been at least a 4-1 victory with Premier League level finishing from us]

That includes my favourite miss of the season. Connolly showed such poor technique for that header. Eyes closed. Head down.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I was going to put the formation into FM21 to see if was as confused by it as Steve Bruce

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here