Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter's presence influential in latest signings

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Let us turn it around a bit: if Hughton was still manager, would we have gone after a player like Webster?

No the recruitment team would have been too busy in Holland last year..... looking for ‘bargains’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
...he said the head coach’s reputation for progressing young players drew him to the club.

He said, “I’m hoping the head coach can help me develop my game even further now, it’s one of the main reasons I came here.

“He places an emphasis on developing players and wants to help them get better, so I’m really looking forward to it.

“I remember Ostersunds vs Arsenal in Europe a few years ago, I didn’t realise how well he’d done until then, but it’s obviously a great story.”

...“The head coach’s style matches mine. I like to bring the ball out from the back and begin the attacks for the team.

“It’s something I’ve got better at over the years and it fits right into what the head coach wants here, so it’s really exciting.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...ster-potter-can-help-me-develop-even-further/

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Monday bounce :flameboun

Looking back at this thread, which was never an attempt to slate CH, the real sentiment was genuine excitement of different level youth development from GP and Ashworth's influence which has materialised. They have been influential in attracting a different calibre of youth prospect which is now clear to see.

We have promoted, developed and trusted youth players in a way we were never able to before.

Young players know they will be able to develop further with us than other sides in the league.

Without CH this would not have been possible of course but some of the short sighted contributions in this thread are laughable.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
From what I've heard Ashworth is the driving force behind the impressive signings made, Potter is very much a first team coach. Tony Bloom and Paul Barber have been blown away by Ashworths work to date and some, whilst not headline stars, very impressive young signings are in the pipeline for next seasons development squad and first team.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
From what I've heard Ashworth is the driving force behind the impressive signings made, Potter is very much a first team coach. Tony Bloom and Paul Barber have been blown away by Ashworths work to date and some, whilst not headline stars, very impressive young signings are in the pipeline for next seasons development squad and first team.

Of course but you still need the coach who will put his faith and trust in these prospects instead of them languishing in the reserves or on the benches at the bigger clubs. See Tariq Lamptey.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Indeed - Hughton's title was "Manager", whereas Potter is "Head Coach".

Still no chance that it works like it does in some clubs where signings are finalised before they even talked to the coach. I'm 100% sure Potter got quite a bit to say about signings and that the club wouldnt sign anyone he didnt talk to.

In Östersund - even before the adventure in Europe - they managed to sign players that were chased by larger Swedish clubs, despite Östersund being a geographically quite extreme place.

In example they have months with almost zero sunshine at all, they had snow in the middle of May, and even now its not "normal". This is midnight close to Östersund a few days ago:
107234245_10157301031005887_4672293925326706388_o.jpg

Yet he made players choose his club instead of more established ones. Same thing happened in Swansea: Celina said he wouldnt have signed if it wasnt for Potter, McBurnie had basically said "**** this club, I'm out" before Potter talked to him for 30 minutes, turning him into someone who worked his ass off for the club.

I wouldnt be surprised to see a few "holy shit, all clubs in Europe chased him and he choose Brighton" signings where Potter would play a huge role in making them choose the club.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
I wouldnt be surprised to see a few "holy shit, all clubs in Europe chased him and he choose Brighton" signings where Potter would play a huge role in making them choose the club.

I'm hoping we see this with Jeremie Boga of Sassuolo who we have been linked to in the past. He's been in incredible form scoring 7 in his last 11 Serie A games from the wing and would be a ridiculous coup, but maybe, just maybe Potter can get him on side.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm hoping we see this with Jeremie Boga of Sassuolo who we have been linked to in the past. He's been in incredible form scoring 7 in his last 11 Serie A games from the wing and would be a ridiculous coup, but maybe, just maybe Potter can get him on side.

Maybe. They are also a very ambitious club though and good at keeping their players so I'm guessing it would be very expensive.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Monday bounce :flameboun

Looking back at this thread, which was never an attempt to slate CH, the real sentiment was genuine excitement of different level youth development from GP and Ashworth's influence which has materialised. They have been influential in attracting a different calibre of youth prospect which is now clear to see.

We have promoted, developed and trusted youth players in a way we were never able to before.

Young players know they will be able to develop further with us than other sides in the league.

Without CH this would not have been possible of course but some of the short sighted contributions in this thread are laughable.

Yet another thread that wouldn't have been bounced if Norwich had equalised :rolleyes:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

I like him, but wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea have some sort of buy-back clause, as he came through their youth system (as well as 35,000 other players they've loaned out recently).

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Still no chance that it works like it does in some clubs where signings are finalised before they even talked to the coach. I'm 100% sure Potter got quite a bit to say about signings and that the club wouldnt sign anyone he didnt talk to.

In Östersund - even before the adventure in Europe - they managed to sign players that were chased by larger Swedish clubs, despite Östersund being a geographically quite extreme place.

In example they have months with almost zero sunshine at all, they had snow in the middle of May, and even now its not "normal". This is midnight close to Östersund a few days ago:
View attachment 125767

Yet he made players choose his club instead of more established ones. Same thing happened in Swansea: Celina said he wouldnt have signed if it wasnt for Potter, McBurnie had basically said "**** this club, I'm out" before Potter talked to him for 30 minutes, turning him into someone who worked his ass off for the club.

I ask with genuine interest rather than as a leading question... have Östersund and Swansea's ability to sign talented young &/or in-demand players diminished since Potter left?

FWIW, I agree with the sentiment that the philosophy (and man-management style) of the manager has an important bearing on the club's appeal to transfer targets. Younger players in particular need to be convinced they will get their chances in the 1st team and also that they are playing in a system that will prepare them for the higher echelons of the game (let's face it, most young footballers think they are good enough to play for a top 6 side).

If I were a young player and had a choice between Hughton's Brighton and Potter's Brighton, I would choose the latter every time.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

View attachment 125767

I'm sure you're right about Potter, but Ostersund is a very nice place to live - we spent a week there in Feb. Fantastic cross-country skiing, beautiful lake, decent town centre with all you need (excellent coffee shops and restaurants), airport with good links to Stockholm and London, train station.....it's not too bad!

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Of course but you still need the coach who will put his faith and trust in these prospects instead of them languishing in the reserves or on the benches at the bigger clubs. See Tariq Lamptey.

Absolutely, it will be part of the coaches brief/job description to fully utilize the resources made available to him by way of the current first team and development squad and future signings. Potter has done that with reasonable success so far, long may it continue.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I ask with genuine interest rather than as a leading question... have Östersund and Swansea's ability to sign talented young &/or in-demand players diminished since Potter left?

Its difficult to compare. Only months after Potter left for Swansea, the Östersund chairman who played a huge part in their success got sentenced to jail because he had financially boosted the club in illegal ways, while they also got a £5m (their whole revenue a normal year) fine from FIFA because they ****ed up when they sold Saman Ghoddos and the club has been in chaos ever since.

They have tried to continue the same way as before under new manager Ian Burchnall (Potter's friend from Leeds university): signing mainly British (like Ravel Morrison) - I think they have six or seven now - and African talents who lost their path in order to turn them into good footballers, but they havent succeeded. They have been considered quite attractive though because they could point to previous examples, but today very few players with any insight would opt for Östersund - the whole existence of the club is under very serious threat.

As for Swansea, it is also difficult to compare now with last season. They too could point at recent history, saying "Look at Oli & Dan James who ended up in big clubs, and Joe Rodon and Connor Roberts who turned into national team players".

They also signed Ugly Steve Cooper, who won the U17 World Cup as manager for England in 2017. He used his connections to loan a number of his former youth internationals such as Marc Guehi & Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Rhian Brewster (Liverpool), Sam Surridge (Bournemouth) and Ben Wilmots (Watford). So I cant really say their ability to attract youth players diminished. As for actually "signing" them, it wouldnt be possible as the club is bankrupt and very likely to enter administration once play-off hope is gone.

TLDR: ... not really, both clubs still attract young players, but partly because Potter previously had success, and in Swanseas case partly because they signed fraud Steve Cooper as manager (ask any Swans fan and they'll tell you he is as bad as he is ugly).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm sure you're right about Potter, but Ostersund is a very nice place to live - we spent a week there in Feb. Fantastic cross-country skiing, beautiful lake, decent town centre with all you need (excellent coffee shops and restaurants), airport with good links to Stockholm and London, train station.....it's not too bad!

Northern Sweden is a nice place to visit, but living there - in complete darkness for about nine months a year - is very rough even for those who have lived there all their lives.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Northern Sweden is a nice place to visit, but living there - in complete darkness for about nine months a year - is very rough even for those who have lived there all their lives.

I think I might top myself with 9 dark months a year!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here