[Albion] Potter's a top coach isn't he?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I was nodding sagely in agreement with the OP when I remembered maybe less than two weeks ago I was posting on here that most of the players had gone backwards under Potter.

Oh the fickleness and bi polar-ness of a typical football fan).

(edited for snarkeyness)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Where were these impassioned supports of Potter telling us what a great coach he was months ago when most NSC were “Potter out”? There weren’t many of us so I would know.

Why does it matter? You knew and I knew he is a great coach. I'm delighted that some of those who questioned him are now seeing that. Channel your inner Mandella and revel in the reconciliation.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Potter's a top coach isn't he?

Sometimes.

I think we all know he has got it wrong on occasions - but that's part of learning . Patience is not part of most fans make-up (me included).

I think he's got selections wrong (witness Burn asked to cope with Leicester down the flanks) - and the amount of chopping & changing which left the team unsettled, but I agree with the OP on his coaching abilities. Under Potter, the whole squad seem to have developed their games, and we've found a style of play where everyone is playing to their best abilities. That's pretty decent coaching in my book.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
I don’t agree with TH on much. But he’s spot on with this, there are quite a few “Johnny come lately”s recently.

Where were these impassioned supports of Potter telling us what a great coach he was months ago when most NSC were “Potter out”? There weren’t many of us so I would know.

Well actually I'm not a Johnny come lately in starting this thread. I've always been in the Potter in camp but clearly for a long time the results didn't bear it out and as I don't relish a binfest I really couldn't be arsed to stick my head above the parapet. Is that Ok?

super ads

Jul 14, 2009
Most of our recent results have generally been down to the bit of luck that was missing up until now. Not sure there’s been a dramatic improvement. Just had that little bit of fortune that we haven’t been getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
The most important thing Potter has sorted is the defence , we were giving away so many sloppy goals it was very difficult to win matches . Biggest culprit was Ryan , so now we have a keeper who actually makes saves and dominates his penalty box ,
As a result the whole of the defence is playing with so much more confidence and is better drilled as well , which makes winning matches a lot easier, as the last 4 matches has shown

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Everyone's suddenly a Clevor Trever. Or, as the late great [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] would have put it, an after-timer. Where were all these threads a month ago? Or even a fortnight ago? ???

Which is why I'm reluctant to go all-in on the praise suddenly. We'll only know what this all means later, and in the meantime there are still plenty of questions. Did we meet Liverpool and Tottenham at the right time, when they had key players missing, and Leeds when they had a terrible pitch that prevented them playing their normal game against us? Or have we suddenly turned the corner and it was bound to happen because the stats all said we were in a false position?

So what went wrong against Fulham, which was a personal low point for me frustration-wise and a game that we almost managed to lose? Do we and will we still struggle against teams that pull ten men back because we're too slow in the final third? Are we just better counter-attacking against teams that come out and attack us?

Did the club, as we suggested, erect a giant barn door at the training ground after the Fulham game and hire a load of cows and banjos? Or did the law of averages dictate that Trossard would finally hit one somewhere other than at the keeper or woodwork?

Probably a mixture of all of the above, although of course I hope and pray that we have turned the corner and won't be going back around it..

My take is that Sanchez radiates calm and composure, which has transmitted itself to the back four. Glenn Murray's revelation about taking shooting practice against him and seeing him catch shots that he assumed were goals was very revealing.

Webster has come to terms with the fact that his main job is to defend as if his life depends on it and that carrying the ball out is a bonus. Dunk is now back to his best because he has a defensive partner that he can trust as he used to trust Duffy.

Ally Mac has visibly benefitted from a run in the side. Bissouma is an incredible talent who loves the feeling of being in a winning team and is working even harder to keep getting that feeling. Gross? Can't explain it. .

BUT I still don't think our shooting is very good. There may be more 1-0s with a nail-biting final 15 minutes than 3-0s.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
BUT I still don't think our shooting is very good. There may be more 1-0s with a nail-biting final 15 minutes than 3-0s.

That's not a terribly controversial opinion, but given the number of chances we create and the fact that we generally do score at least one goal a game (exceptions noted), continuing to stay tight at the back should see us continue to rack up the points even if most of our shots do keep hitting the bar or row z.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

My take is that a team that doesn't concede many goals will always have a chance of sneaking a win or, at worst, a draw (and 38 draws in a season would make us safe!_

I was Potter In, come what may, because I could see how he'd changed our approach from top to bottom and how he'd brought on young players but also because we weren't getting battered: when we lost it was a) to a top side and b) mainly by the odd goal - only Leicester have really done a number on us this season. That's a great basis to build on

Yes, we're still probably a striker short and I'm not sure what the answer is there, but we're not far off being a very good team. I'm certain top 10 is in our sights, maybe not this year, but we're in the right direction

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
It’s all about balance for me and it’s a Goldilocks story. At the start of the season we were too cavalier, scored goals but conceded too many. We then went through a phase of being too cautious, not conceding many but not scoring enough. Now he’s got the balance just right.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Not quite sure how you are both able to talk more about GP than I am. Impressive... and a little bit disturbing.

Sorry, who’s the one who joined a club forum for a team they didn’t previously support in a country they weren’t born or have never visited? [emoji1]

I’m Albion first. Always. I was born here, I live here, I’ve been going to games since the goldstone. So nothing unusual speaking about my clubs manager. I always defended GP as I had a very strong opinion he would prove to be a very good manager for us. If he wasn’t, I would want him “out”. As simple as that.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I’m Albion first. Always. I was born here, I live here, I’ve been going to games since the goldstone. So nothing unusual speaking about my clubs manager. I always defended GP as I had a very strong opinion he would prove to be a very good manager for us. If he wasn’t, I would want him “out”. As simple as that.

That's what you think. The reality is you've been taken in by a Swedish cult pushing an elaborate conspiracy with the ultimate aim of improving lumber exports to anglophone countries. Even Potter doesn't realise he's part of it.

If Swansman denies it, it's because he's in on it.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
That's what you think. The reality is you've been taken in by a Swedish cult pushing an elaborate conspiracy with the ultimate aim of improving lumber exports to anglophone countries. Even Potter doesn't realise he's part of it.

If Swansman denies it, it's because he's in on it.

[emoji1787]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Everyone's suddenly a Clevor Trever. Or, as the late great [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] would have put it, an after-timer. Where were all these threads a month ago? Or even a fortnight ago? ???

Some of us have been consistent in the face of mockery, eh, [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=38362]vagabond[/MENTION].

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We weren’t winning now we’ve won a few and suddenly everything is looking much better everyone connected with the club will be more positive as a result. Whilst never voting out I was questioning why the tinkering, sort that bloody defence out it’s embarrassing and subs don’t seem quite right at times.

I got slated on here for calling Ryan one shot one goal Ryan last season and was assured he was quality :) Admired GP for that call he’s now settled on his best 11 it seems bar injury, RS has put the trust back in the defence that’s sorted and subs are being made at the right times for the right players. Pressure can effect people dramatically some can handle it some can’t GP made some bad calls fair enough and even admitted the home form weighed heavily on him, now we might see the real GP probably the first time we haven’t been under pressure for a while and I’m looking forward to the rest of the season.

I have to mention 0-1 up at Anfield Potter puts two strikers on takes balls that :lolol:

el punal

That's unfair. There were several of us who saw what Potter was doing with the club and were firmly of the opinion that he should stay for a long time. There may not have been as much detail as the OP put in but there were still of plenty of people who hailed the transformation taking place.

Me included. I’m clever but my name’s not Trevor, or Billericay Dickie, or Plaistow Patricia. :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports