[Albion] Potterball

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Screenshot 2021-02-23 113019.png

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
No I don't, that's my point. Those blaming Potter for not signing a striker seem to think it's because he hasn't done his job. We have a very expensive and wide ranging recruitment team that do that. It's Potter's job to get a tune out of those we have got in though.
Nah.

I can't see Dan Ashworth saying, "hey Potter, we need a striker, who do you want"?

Nor can I see Potter saying "Hey Dan, I've been following this prolific striker in the French 3rd division, I want him, go get him".

I can see Potter saying "hey Dan, we need a striker" and Dan Ashworth saying "we have been following x y and z and they are in our price range, which one do you want"?

I can also see Potter saying, Hey Dan, Messi's contract is up in the summer, go get him " [emoji23]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I agree with most of what you say but I remain unconvinced that a better striker would solve this particular problem. When the opposition defends well there simply isn’t the gaps and opportunities to exploit, and our attacks tend to be to slow and cautious. A few weeks back, just after the introduction of Sanchez, we started mixing things up and playing a longer ball rather than playing out from the back all the time. This for me is the secret to more goals, the problem is that when teams sit back they invite you to play out from the back and there’s the rub. If we had played a few more direct balls into the final third last night I think we would have won the game.

We could, I agree, do with mixing in a bit of more direct football on our game - getting the ball in or around their penalty area before they are ready or have had time to get ten men back behind the ball.
Not all the time, but not being afraid to use a bit of long ball tactics (think Dunk or White 50-60 yard pin-point passes) from time to time - that is long ball, quite different to hoof ball.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My stream was from NBC last night (I think), and they were marvelling half way through the first half how Palace had come and set up 'as if they were playing away at Man City'. Which was quite a compliment - but City have the wherewithal to unlock such an approach and we haven't.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
I completely understand that we didnt score, and I would understand that a change in approach is needed IF we weren't creating presentable chances - but we are. Palace were not "comfortable" last night. It wasn't like they didn't feel the pressure. It was brilliant, mad-cap, frantic, desperate at times created by our approach play. The moments when they didn't get there, we missed.. That said, we discovered that 4-4-2 can work for us in games like this better than 3 at the back when we don't have pace in our wing-backs and the opposition play 1 up front..

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
My stream was from NBC last night (I think), and they were marvelling half way through the first half how Palace had come and set up 'as if they were playing away at Man City'. Which was quite a compliment - but City have the wherewithal to unlock such an approach and we haven't.

You say that, but...

1234.jpg

barmyarmy

Banned
Feb 6, 2021
Some of our fans are beyond delusional. Too good for our own good? Really.... we are sitting 4 points off relegation!! The long and short of it is we are just not good at scoring. You say get a striker in and it will solve all of our problems? Why did we buy Welbeck then? We don’t create enough clear cut chances. 20 of the chances last night didn’t even need saving and were just pathetic attempts. We are where we should be and if we survive I’ll take that as an achievement. I don’t know what some of you expect/want.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with most of what you say but I remain unconvinced that a better striker would solve this particular problem. When the opposition defends well there simply isn’t the gaps and opportunities to exploit, and our attacks tend to be to slow and cautious. A few weeks back, just after the introduction of Sanchez, we started mixing things up and playing a longer ball rather than playing out from the back all the time. This for me is the secret to more goals, the problem is that when teams sit back they invite you to play out from the back and there’s the rub. If we had played a few more direct balls into the final third last night I think we would have won the game.

Ahem.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This should be plastered everywhere for all the dinosaurs who want us to stop ‘dicking about with it at the back’!
‘Get it forward’ - eff off and watch Burnley!

Geez! All that clever bugger stuff shuffling the ball about - 'to you Claude', 'no, back to you Claude' - fannying around at the back for just one measly goal?

Pffft!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here