Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potterball, your opinions so far?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Believe it or not - for a promoted club with Brighton's budget - keeping the club in the PL is 'progression' - regression would have been getting relegated.

As you like, we actually went backwards imo, which is why he got the sack. I’ll take TB’s opinion on what is best for the Albion over yours every day and twice on Sundays

However let’s see what happens by season’s end

Ice Man

Jan 5, 2006
Believe it or not - for a promoted club with Brighton's budget - keeping the club in the PL is 'progression' - regression would have been getting relegated.

The regression occurred in the playing style and the results, no doubt. Relegation was increasingly looking inevitable as last season drew to a close. Thankfully Cardiff bottled it in those games against Fulham and Palace which meant we survived.

Elipsis

Sep 14, 2019
Much as I like the football that we are playing generally I am disappointed with the standard of our defending and feel that it is an area that we need to improve very quickly. If the truth was known I would have sooner we ground out a 0-0 draw at Anfield and again on Thursday at The Emirates, although we may nick a goal there, provided we do not give away 2.
Completely agree. Nice football and good to see some youngsters coming through, but not convinced that GP puts enough emphasis on the basics like defending set plays. The likes of Sheffield United have shown that the good football and the more 'ugly' stuff are not mutually exclusive.

Sent from my 5039D_EEA using Tapatalk

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Completely agree. Nice football and good to see some youngsters coming through, but not convinced that GP puts enough emphasis on the basics like defending set plays. The likes of Sheffield United have shown that the good football and the more 'ugly' stuff are not mutually exclusive.

Sent from my 5039D_EEA using Tapatalk

I don't get this argument for a number of reasons:
1. After last season any manager would look like they were putting less emphasis on defending as they were not putting 10 players behind the ball, playing wingers as full backs and midfielders as centre backs.
2. We have not been great at defending set pieces for several years now although I admit there was an improvement last year but that was a result of point 1.
3. Football is a combination of defending and attacking and to succeed you need a balance between the 2 last year was 99% defense and 1% attack, this year that has been adjusted to a more balanced approach therefore there will be more conceded but we will score more (when our player learn to shoot).
4. The players have to share some of the blame it is not all down to the manager (and yes that does apply to last year as well).
5. Even with Pep, Klopp, Mourinho etc in charge it would take some time to bed new players in and adjust to new formations.
6. There are a lot of experts in the game complimenting us this season I reckon most of them know what they are talking about.

I personally was expecting us to be less defensive than we are, the way everyone spoke about Potterballs but I think generally the balance is pretty good most of the time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1. After last season any manager would look like they were putting less emphasis on defending as they were not putting 10 players behind the ball, playing wingers as full backs and midfielders as centre backs.
2. We have not been great at defending set pieces for several years now although I admit there was an improvement last year but that was a result of point 1.
3. Football is a combination of defending and attacking and to succeed you need a balance between the 2 last year was 99% defense and 1% attack, this year that has been adjusted to a more balanced approach therefore there will be more conceded but we will score more (when our player learn to shoot).
4. The players have to share some of the blame it is not all down to the manager (and yes that does apply to last year as well).
5. Even with Pep, Klopp, Mourinho etc in charge it would take some time to bed new players in and adjust to new formations.
6. There are a lot of experts in the game complimenting us this season I reckon most of them know what they are talking about.

I personally was expecting us to be less defensive than we are, the way everyone spoke about Potterballs but I think generally the balance is pretty good most of the time.

I'll add 2 further points to rebuke the 'know nothing's'.

A - No team, not one team in world football, moving away from Shane Duffy is going to see an instant improvement in defending (and attacking) set pieces.
C - 6 months - The fella has had just 6 months to implement completely new thinking to the entire squad.

We have progressed hugely this season in playing terms we will have a go at anyone including the best team in Europe on their own patch yes we had 1 hiding so far a poor showing at Chelsea and to a degree at man u but overall we are learning possession football and attacking football which to some extent the players weren't doing for last 2 reasons. If we can beat a big club hopefully arsenal this week on their own patch that will give players huge confidence and belief in their own ability something they weren't able or allowed to do previously

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It’s pretty evident for us all to see... our team is clearly evolving with GP at the helm.

Pretty much since our opening 3-0 I’ve been enamoured with our new progressive style. It’s forward thinking and clearly modern.

How refreshing to have a manager like this AND he’s tactically aware AND he has no qualms putting kids in the team. What finds Alzate and Connolly have been this season.

I’m delighted with our manager and have faith in what he’s doing. Clearly Bloom, Barbor and Ashworth agree.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

I agree - but to expand on point 3 - we haven't really conceded more this year so far, especially given whom we have played.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I don't think Hughton had too much involvement in targeting new players and it wasn't really in his remit. Hughton probably had a final say but it was down to the club to get, who they thought, were the right players in.

If there was just one paragraph to explain Hughton’s responsibilities at Brighton, I’d suggest it isn’t this one. :)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Not playing 38 away games a season is a refreshing start.

After that, everything else is a bonus.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Much as I like the football that we are playing generally I am disappointed with the standard of our defending and feel that it is an area that we need to improve very quickly.

Yeah our defending is so bad we're currently joint 4th for most clean sheets:

Screenshot 2019-12-02 at 23.15.06.png

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Results wise we are similar if not worse than the first part of last season. However it wasnt the first part of last season that did for us it was the end. I have just witnessed us out possess the European champions resulting in them looking scared of us toward the end at their own ground.

So I am happy, what I fear for and dont like is a VERY large number of fans who constantly loudly bitch about us playing out from the back. THIS IS THE COUNTER TO A PRESS AND IT IS WORKING. Humping the ball up the pitch is what they want you to do SO STOP SHITTING A BRICK AND DEMANDING IT LIKE A SHIT OLD MANAGER it just gives possession back ( see possession vs liverpool thats why ours was more)

Passing the ball around the outside of the opposition penalty area until we can engineer an opening or take advantage of a mistake dates back to the days of Neil McCrab and before. Fans were impatient back then as well.��

Liverpool v Albion: which player made 39 short passes and no long ones with 100% accuracy?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I'm not sure we have any players that don't make mistakes. He's being asked to play the ball out, so in all honesty that is ultimately the result of tactics, and Dunk and Duffy have made them too.

Don't disagree he's finding it tough, but I think a 'can't defend' conclusion is a bit early.

Adam Webster looks best in the Bruno position to me with Dunk and Duffy.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Passing the ball around the outside of the opposition penalty area until we can engineer an opening or take advantage of a mistake dates back to the days of Neil McCrab and before. Fans were impatient back then as well.��

Liverpool v Albion: which player made 39 short passes and no long ones with 100% accuracy?

Webster.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
It’s pretty evident for us all to see... our team is clearly evolving with GP at the helm.

Pretty much since our opening 3-0 I’ve been enamoured with our new progressive style. It’s forward thinking and clearly modern.

How refreshing to have a manager like this AND he’s tactically aware AND he has no qualms putting kids in the team. What finds Alzate and Connolly have been this season.

I’m delighted with our manager and have faith in what he’s doing. Clearly Bloom, Barbor and Ashworth agree.

This. TB is no mug. He's looking at the long term. He's not thought, "I've spunked £250m on the club so far, Potter hasn't got instant results so I'll extend his contract by 2 years".

boik

Not evident for ALL of us. Don't forget "I'm considerably cleverer than yow" Spence!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here